Discuss Ring Final Circuit wired in 4 core SWA in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Have an existing circuit at a warehouse where a single 4mm 4core SWA has been used as a Ring Final Circuit. Two cores are in connectors in the back of the socket outlets thus creating a ring. The SWA is therefore the sole means of earthing. There are No banjo's at the sockets and the glands are screwed into galv couplers at the sockets too.
All opinions welcome..

Can I ask please what is the mcb type and rating, and the installation method?
I can't picture how the armour gets to the socket earth, but it is Friday ...

Can I ask please what is the mcb type and rating, and the installation method?
I can't picture how the armour gets to the socket earth, but it is Friday ...
Piranha earth lock nut behind the brass bush + fly lead = difficult I know but it could be done.

The RFC is already a bit of a thing and this is a complication of it. I was going to spell that with a b... but refrained ... As the RFC relies on distributed loads that could be a problem (?). Maybe that could be simulated by alternating outlets across the pairs (if that makes any sense). Then there's the cpc aspect. Armour is fine for that in theory, but will depend on the mcb and Zs.

Only problem I see here is no cpcs from the cable glands to the socket earth terminal. Couplers would need removing and gland direct to back box then fit earth washers or earthing nuts.

Last edited:
If these are metal clad sockets and the SWA gland is fixed to the galvanised coupler and the coupler is securely fixed to the metal of the back box, then the back box would be acting as the continuation for the cpc across the socket. The connection to the socket earth would be via the metal back box and the accessory screws and any continuity from the contact of the face plate to the back box.

I do not know the current carrying capacity of a metal back box or the security of earthing for the accessory screws (though it seems acceptable for plastic fittings to earth a flush back box) but I would feel that this is not sufficient certainty of current carrying capacity for the earth, even if the continuity is good.

I would prefer fly leads from the armour connection to the socket terminals.

If the socket has a threaded entry I would agree, cpc from back box to front plate. But it doesn't.

As I understand it, four cores, two to each socket, two to return the ring. (Bit like Hobbit talk) So at last socket the two joined in each socket return to origin, yes?

Is it me or what is this suggesting?
It means RFC wired in 4 core cable 4 cores to 1st socket 1 pair connected to anothe pair going to the next socket until you reach the last one where you have 2 L and 2 N, ergo a RFC wired in 4 core.

The RFC is already a bit of a thing and this is a complication of it. I was going to spell that with a b... but refrained ... As the RFC relies on distributed loads that could be a problem (?). Maybe that could be simulated by alternating outlets across the pairs (if that makes any sense). Then there's the cpc aspect. Armour is fine for that in theory, but will depend on the mcb and Zs.

Type C 32amp RCBO with Zs of 0.72 so over on Max Zs.

It means RFC wired in 4 core cable 4 cores to 1st socket 1 pair connected to anothe pair going to the next socket until you reach the last one where you have 2 L and 2 N, ergo a RFC wired in 4 core.
You've got it... If it had been glanded straight into the metalclad sockets and used piranha nuts it would of been better.

Reply to Ring Final Circuit wired in 4 core SWA in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net