CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Ring Main with sockets not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, I recently went to look at a house with about 10 sockets not working. Checked the continuity on the ring main ends - all good. I turned off all other socket circuits in the board just to make sure no crossed circuits - still the same, about 5 sockets working and the rest (about 10) not working.
No live/earth continuity at the non-working sockets either. Tested the ends in a non-working socket with all the ends connected at the board. Neutrals reading ok but open circuit on the lives & earths. I'm usually pretty good at fault-finding but this one has got me baffled.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
i'm in cheshire. you want me to assist? fault finding is so much easier with 2 heads and 4 hands.

If you have continuity at the board, end to ends but not at the sockets which do not function apart from the neutrals you may have a figure of eight situation which has broken down.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
it's a head scratcher without being on site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
fuse spur any where .
I did think about a fused spur some where but 10 sockets on a FCU? and the earths are open at the sockets not just the lives. I checked inside every socket and looked for any switches/spurs but nothing.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I did think about a fused spur some where but 10 sockets on a FCU? and the earths are open at the sockets not just the lives. I checked inside every socket and looked for any switches/spurs but nothing.
2 hours. i'll find it.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
start from basics. continuity with wander lead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you have continuity at the board, end to ends but not at the sockets which do not function apart from the neutrals you may have a figure of eight situation which has broken down.
The ring within a ring is what I was thinking. Work has been done in the past. New conservatory and kitchen. Some of the kitchen is in new wiring colours but no obvious Jb's or joins in sockets. T&G chipboard flooring above with fitted carpets and plenty of furniture too. Flooring would have had to be cut though above somewhere so may be obvious if some of the rooms were emptied.

GBDamo

-
Supporter
Theres got to be shenanigans if you're getting end to end continuity.

Ring off ring or the 10 US sockets are a none fused radial off the ring. Although you'd have seen a single cable socket if radial.

Ring off ring would have had to have a double point failure to see what you're seeing though, itself unlikely but not impossible.

Got to he JB(s) somewhere

Best of luck..

Double point failure yes but one failure may have always been there, the cpcs but it is the line failure which has highlighted the issue.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to Ring Main with sockets not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom