Discuss Single core and earth lighting fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I say bonkers because earth and neutral are already looping around the fittings, so doing the same with live seems obvious. I'd question the council's logic - what if they take a switch off?

I don't normally take a switch off to change a light fitting may be you do, the council's logic is no looped live at the fitting reduces the risk of a tenant harming themselves, calling them bonkers or any other names won't matter to them they have their reasons for this specification

I find it bonkers that you limit access to your profile on here so it gives us no clue to who or what you are but that is life

Sorry Ung, not trying to be contentious.
Forgive use of language - just find the single wire system over complex - guess that's why it's been phased out, no?
Didn't realise my profile is limited - I'll look into that, but needless to say I'm pretty new to this...

I don't normally take a switch off to change a light fitting may be you do, the council's logic is no looped live at the fitting reduces the risk of a tenant harming themselves, calling them bonkers or any other names won't matter to them they have their reasons for this specification

I find it bonkers that you limit access to your profile on here so it gives us no clue to who or what you are but that is life
One of my Pet hates as well UNG.

just find the single wire system over complex -

not complex at all. advantages are:
1. only a single conductor from switch to light.
2. switch off, light has no L. ( like in 3 plate).
3. less use of expensive copper cable.
4.confuses anyone under 50.

Sorry Ung, not trying to be contentious.
Forgive use of language - just find the single wire system over complex - guess that's why it's been phased out, no?

Excuse my ignorance when was it phased out as I still occasionally use it when wiring wall lights and other situations where it is or will be difficult to hide a lot of cables

If you find the single wire system complex what are your views on the many different ways of wiring a 2 way lighting circuit

Excuse my ignorance when was it phased out as I still occasionally use it when wiring wall lights and other situations where it is or will be difficult to hide a lot of cables

If you find the single wire system complex what are your views on the many different ways of wiring a 2 way lighting circuit
touche.

Cut my teeth wiring new builds in singles, easy peasy method.

There is a minor disadvantage in wiring in singles not in conduit which is that where the 'go' and 'return' are not in the same cable, i.e. the currents are not balanced, noisy LED drivers (and before them, noisy CFLs) emit more radio interference. Also happened with traditional fluorescents but those were less common in a domestic install.

No sign of MCB tripping during this round of tests so I'm putting this down to a poor MCB,

Sorry, doesn't make sense. The MCB only knows how much current is going into the load, not where it goes afterwards. I'm not saying you haven't fixed the problem, but as yet there's no explanation of why the MCB was tripping, be it rich, poor or completely skint. I don't like unexplained phenomena.

Yes Charlie, live looped through switches (2-way in the second room) and neutrals/earths looped via pendants - bonkers system IMHO

It's the most logical system and replicates the way lighting is wired in conduit.
I say it's the most logical because you take each conductor to where it is needed rather than taking it to places it is not needed and then jointing it.

It is, however, harder to alter, in a way that does not mirror conduit work. E.g. adding a point to a normal looped conduit system, you are almost guaranteed a route through the existing conduit to get the two sides of the circuit together ready to head off to the new point. But with singles run separately in a domestic situation, you may well have to access two locations; getting the neutral from the rose might be easy, but then you have to open up elsewhere to get at the line, and if you can't add a cable down to the switch, you are forced to add a junction box, possibly in an undesirable position. Neither of these are necessary if the line is looped at the rose too.

Reply to Single core and earth lighting fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock