Discuss Sizing Cooker fuse / diversity...confused in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Wotsit,
I am going to make a very bold statement, 8 meter run of 6mm t/e clipped direct 40A BS EN 60898 typeB protective device complies with all current regs and no problems with a 9kw load or volt drop

So what exactly are you trying to prove here ?? after all the resitivity of a conductor is proportional to its cross sectional area, and inversely proportional to its length provided the temperature remains ambient. But then you already know that:D

The cable is not a problem , 6mm clipped direct is rated at 46 amps.

So the design current of the circuit will be 32 amps, I think that if you were to put a clamp meter on the circuit and turn all elements on the cooker you will get nowhere near 40 amps. My guess is about 20 to 25 amps.

I've certainly opened up a bit of a debate, and don't want to cause ill feeling between anyone, as i think this is a fantastic forum and use it regular.

Sorry.

Thats the one Andy, clipped direct it all works out on the calcs 40A mcb is a go,cable is protected and your cooker will never get near it anyway;)

Arron dont be sorry and dont stop asking questions thats what this forum is all about and we all learn from it some people tend to get a bit excited thats all:)

Chris

So should we forget about the BRB and just do what we feel like? Because we know better? I know its not law but the book is there for a reason.

To me one reg is as important as another, esp if giving advice.

Pease read 433.1.1

Dont worry Arron,
Your a thinking electrician and there is nothing wrong with that.calcs don't always reflect the real world though use them as a guide.;)

Indeed.

What has been posted about diversity are valid points.

It is well known that this can be applied to a cooking appliance.

Therefore if the calculations allow a 32A MCB to be used and the cable is suitably sized (6mm) then there is no problem.

Even 4mm is fine on a 32, but lets not go there.

So should we forget about the BRB and just do what we feel like? Because we know better? I know its not law but the book is there for a reason.

To me one reg is as important as another, esp if giving advice.

Pease read 433.1.1

Dont forget that most of us are experienced electricians and are capable of a bit of engineering judgement and common sense

Last edited:
The first 10A of the rated current plus 30% of the remainder of the rated current in excess of 10A plus 5A if a socket-outlet is incorporated in the cooker control unit. (Well it helps things along bit diverse though):)

I was not questioning this, but how will putting a 32A protective device on a cct that has a 40A load meet co-ordination?

Am i missing someting?

The electrician should use his experiance and judgement when assessing the maximum demand of a circuit.

The loading of a cooker as advised by the manufacturer is simply the sum of all elements in the cooker.
This includes the grill which is not on when the oven is on.

Unlike an electric shower(which is either fully on or off), the cooker is never fully on and I think it not unreasonable to assess the load as below that which the manufactuere states.

The electrician should use his experiance and judgement when assessing the maximum demand of a circuit.

The loading of a cooker as advised by the manufacturer is simply the sum of all elements in the cooker.
This includes the grill which is not on when the oven is on.

Unlike an electric shower(which is either fully on or off), the cooker is never fully on and I think it not unreasonable to assess the load as below that which the manufactuere states.

All the above Andy along with diversity factors for cooking appliances as per my last post,cannot see where there is a problem really can't :)

Reply to Sizing Cooker fuse / diversity...confused in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock