Discuss Smoke alarms existing builds ? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey all I have just been given a load of flats etc and owners home etc to look after, replace cu's and generally update with ongoing maintenance but as it's the first work of this kind I've done I am wondering what requirements are regards smoke alarms etc.. as only places I've installed before were new build and had smoke alarms linked and mains fed with heat detectors in kitchen so do I need to rewire up mains fed detectors on existing long built flats or just leave as battery units they say they have now ? I can't find anything in regs about it just that Part B covers it but that's not in the BYB or OSG. I haven't fitted fire alarm systems but am guessing that might be required if they're rented flats to tenants ? Any info would be great. Thanks.

Hmmm a difficult one as there are a number of options. Again as I always say it's very difficult to comment as each installation/property is different in it's own right. But without blabbering on and being too boring I usually take the approach like this:

1. Advise that smoke detectors are an early warning method that save lives and even properly maintained battery operated alarms are better than no alarm at all.

2. If battery operated detectors are the desired choice test as a rule of thumb every time the clocks change and if they beep it means change the battery and don't just remove the battery to stop the beeping.

3. I'm not sure if they still offer the service but the Fire Brigade used to offer a free install to properties with no detectors. Installing mains detectors.

4. If its not practical to install detectors on their own supply (non RCD protected) then you could take the supply from the local lighting point so long as it's a minimum of 300mm from any fitting, beam or wall etc.

5. If more than one alarm is installed then I would definitely suggest that they were linked and if this couldn't be done by hard wiring then radio base is the alternative.

6. Co2 detectors if they have any solid fuel or fossil fuel burning appliances and there is a lack of good air flow. Eg air bricks, drafty sash windows etc.

7. Heat Detectors just to be ----.

8. Recommend they check the small print of their insurance policy to see what conditions are referred to concerning the topic.

I think I remember something coming into force around September or October of 2015 requiring Landlords to provide detectors.

Hmmm a difficult one as there are a number of options. Again as I always say it's very difficult to comment as each installation/property is different in it's own right. But without blabbering on and being too boring I usually take the approach like this:

1. Advise that smoke detectors are an early warning method that save lives and even properly maintained battery operated alarms are better than no alarm at all.

2. If battery operated detectors are the desired choice test as a rule of thumb every time the clocks change and if they beep it means change the battery and don't just remove the battery to stop the beeping.

3. I'm not sure if they still offer the service but the Fire Brigade used to offer a free install to properties with no detectors. Installing mains detectors.

4. If its not practical to install detectors on their own supply (non RCD protected) then you could take the supply from the local lighting point so long as it's a minimum of 300mm from any fitting, beam or wall etc.

5. If more than one alarm is installed then I would definitely suggest that they were linked and if this couldn't be done by hard wiring then radio base is the alternative.

6. Co2 detectors if they have any solid fuel or fossil fuel burning appliances and there is a lack of good air flow. Eg air bricks, drafty sash windows etc.

7. Heat Detectors just to be ----.

8. Recommend they check the small print of their insurance policy to see what conditions are referred to concerning the topic.

I think I remember something coming into force around September or October of 2015 requiring Landlords to provide detectors.

1. Only if fitted correctly and inline with BS5839 part6, otherwise they are of no used.
2. Using Grade F equipment, would not be the first choice on rented property, as the landlord/owner is responsible for testing and maintaining.
3. The local FB, have never been qualified to install mains detection, nor will attempt to.....you may get a free battery alarm if your lucky.
4. Only grade E systems need to be on there own circuit, where they need to be lockable and isolated. 300mm where practical down to variation on cert.
5. would hope so
6. Rule states solid fuel....but most BC areas, would like to see gas implemented in this new 2015 doc as advised.
7. Don`t have any comment...??
8. If BS and approved Document B is followed, then the standard for insurance is equal

1. Only if fitted correctly and inline with BS5839 part6, otherwise they are of no used.
2. Using Grade F equipment, would not be the first choice on rented property, as the landlord/owner is responsible for testing and maintaining.
3. The local FB, have never been qualified to install mains detection, nor will attempt to.....you may get a free battery alarm if your lucky.
4. Only grade E systems need to be on there own circuit, where they need to be lockable and isolated. 300mm where practical down to variation on cert.
5. would hope so
6. Rule states solid fuel....but most BC areas, would like to see gas implemented in this new 2015 doc as advised.
7. Don`t have any comment...??
8. If BS and approved Document B is followed, then the standard for insurance is equal

I thought I'd missed something :6: thanks tazz for picking up my loose ends love ya work fella. x

Reply to Smoke alarms existing builds ? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net