Discuss Solar panel installation course? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would like to learn more about solar panel installations, with a view to fitting them.

I cant find any in the Gloucester/Stroud area but have found 'The Focus Training Group' that run a 5 day course in Bristol. Has anyone done this course with them, or heard anything about them?

Any suggestions with regards learning about solar panels, inverters, feeding into the grid etc? Or ways to learn about them?

TBH, all you need to know is within the MI's, they are generally very good and easy for an electrician to follow.

e.g. You will get very specific MI's for the panel mounting system, ditto invertor, ditto battery system etc, if anything i would consider manufacturer specific free training.

All i would say is: Solar panels are heavy, roofs are high, when panels are connected in series voltages rise very quickly with typical voltages in the many hundreds of VDC. CT locations appear to trip up many installers, lol

Good Luck, just designing a 30KW, TP system with 75KWh of batteries, ground based. My back is hurting just thinking about it... :cool:

I’ve just bitten the bullet. Getting a 3.6Kw system fitted to my house. I considered doing the course and doing it myself, but for £5,500. All done in a day I’ve got a professional company to do it.
It’s not what I don’t know is why I’m not doing it myself, it’s what I don’t know, I don’t know.

gas going to 10p per kwh
elec going to 33p per kWh.
this will take my gas and electric bill up to an eye watering £2500 per year
it’s a no brainier. I’ve got the money in the bank doing nothing, should save me £600 worste case or £860 best case.

I’ll get back to you in 1 year with the results.

I’ve just bitten the bullet. Getting a 3.6Kw system fitted to my house. I considered doing the course and doing it myself, but for £5,500. All done in a day I’ve got a professional company to do it.
It’s not what I don’t know is why I’m not doing it myself, it’s what I don’t know, I don’t know.

gas going to 10p per kwh
elec going to 33p per kWh.
this will take my gas and electric bill up to an eye watering £2500 per year
it’s a no brainier. I’ve got the money in the bank doing nothing, should save me £600 worste case or £860 best case.

I’ll get back to you in 1 year with the results.
With the price of leccy they're a great investment right now. Problem is getting the actual gear into the UK. Very hard, very long waiting times.

TBH, all you need to know is within the MI's, they are generally very good and easy for an electrician to follow.

e.g. You will get very specific MI's for the panel mounting system, ditto invertor, ditto battery system etc, if anything i would consider manufacturer specific free training.

All i would say is: Solar panels are heavy, roofs are high, when panels are connected in series voltages rise very quickly with typical voltages in the many hundreds of VDC. CT locations appear to trip up many installers, lol

Good Luck, just designing a 30KW, TP system with 75KWh of batteries, ground based. My back is hurting just thinking about it... :cool:
What's the 'MI'?

Supplies are an issue, i have a drum of cable that should have been with me last Tuesday, battery systems waiting for "vital components" before i can take delivery due sometime in August. I have panels but no fixings and an inverter with no panels or fixings. Glad i am going on holiday, lol

Supplies are an issue, i have a drum of cable that should have been with me last Tuesday, battery systems waiting for "vital components" before i can take delivery due sometime in August. I have panels but no fixings and an inverter with no panels or fixings. Glad i am going on holiday, lol
We tried to get some rail this week and the kind we needed was nowhere to be found in the country. None of our suppliers can get hold of it in good time because basically everything solar comes from the EU and China.

I would like to learn more about solar panel installations, with a view to fitting them.

I cant find any in the Gloucester/Stroud area but have found 'The Focus Training Group' that run a 5 day course in Bristol. Has anyone done this course with them, or heard anything about them?

Any suggestions with regards learning about solar panels, inverters, feeding into the grid etc? Or ways to learn about them?
I have signed up for one through napit training its in portishead/avonmouth area, its the bpec solar course. Doing it in August
I am getting quite a few enquiries for solar pv and it sits well alongside my ev and battery storage work

Hi there, did you do the course? I was about to ask the same question. My surrogate nephew/boss is keen to learn everything possible about SP installation.

I have signed up for one through napit training its in portishead/avonmouth area, its the bpec solar course. Doing it in August
I am getting quite a few enquiries for solar pv and it sits well alongside my ev and battery storage work
Hi there, could I ask how the course went last August. It's definitely something we want to move into along with our vehicle charging credentials.

Hi there, did you do the course? I was about to ask the same question. My surrogate nephew/boss is keen to learn everything possible about SP installation.
Sorry chap, I didn't do the course in the end. I think Gavin has done one though, involving battery storage as well.

I did the BPEC course at gre energy training in Chesterfield last year. Learned loads and just waiting to get MCS sign off at the moment. Had loads of enquiries about solar in the meantime, seems like getting it has crossed a lot of people's minds with bills as they are

I did the BPEC course at gre energy training in Chesterfield last year. Learned loads and just waiting to get MCS sign off at the moment. Had loads of enquiries about solar in the meantime, seems like getting it has crossed a lot of people's minds with bills as they are
Brilliant thank you! Could you tell me how long the course was please, and how much? My local training centre is offering a 2 day course for £400 but it doesn't seem long enough

Brilliant thank you! Could you tell me how long the course was please, and how much? My local training centre is offering a 2 day course for £400 but it doesn't seem long enough
Think it was 4 days and cost about a grand. That particular course was battery storage too, went into a lot of detail on the battery side of things. The tutor still ran his business doing solar installs so was very knowledgeable on it all and had good info about manufacturers etc.

Reply to Solar panel installation course? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net