Search the forum,

Discuss Standards Manager? HSE in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

All this HSE 'stuff' is a result of this litigationousness (made that up!) culture we're now living in.
(Another shyte American import)
Every Tom, Dock & Harry now think if they sprain their little finger, Oooh must sue someone.
So, I'm not really surprised employers might be covering themselves.
I think it all stinks myself, I like to think I can take care of myself, don't need some suited twunt to tell me owt!

That bike story, I'd make him do it again then fill the hole.

All this HSE 'stuff' is a result of this litigationousness (made that up!) culture we're now living in.
(Another shyte American import)
Every Tom, Dock & Harry now think if they sprain their little finger, Oooh must sue someone.
So, I'm not really surprised employers might be covering themselves.
I think it all stinks myself, I like to think I can take care of myself, don't need some suited twunt to tell me owt!

That bike story, I'd make him do it again then fill the hole.

That's what I'm trying to say, each and everyone of us has a duty to ensure ourselves and everyone around us is safe and not placed in danger through our actions, because of the culture we are now in everyone wants/see's injuries as an easy source of income and therefore companies do what they can to cover themselves. The bike story - All true, you couldn't make it up what this bloke gets up to.

Here Hant,

Exactly! It's symptomatic of this airy fairy nanny stateism (Thanks Bliar, mustn't eat beef on the bone, lets invade Iraq), having personal responsiblity has gone out of the window.

Are there any short course how to become a lawyer available, screw electrical work, no win no fee is where the moneys at!!!!

Here Hant,

Exactly! It's symptomatic of this airy fairy nanny stateism (Thanks Bliar, mustn't eat beef on the bone, lets invade Iraq), having personal responsiblity has gone out of the window.

Are there any short course how to become a lawyer available, screw electrical work, no win no fee is where the moneys at!!!!

Yep, buy yourself a fast car and chase all those ambulances around lol. There has got to be something in it, you hear/see more no win no fee adverts that anything else nowadays. God help us :)

Have to agree with the aspect of litigationousness (I like that word) as we do have a few 'sicknotes' in this factory who are all to eager to accidentally fall off the mezz floor as they never saw the barrier or just plainly are blind to the bloody great big sign that says DANGER!!..must be a genetic flaw :S

Think i've told you before, that you will never see hide nor hare of a British HSE officer on any project or construction site outside of the UK or possibly Europe!! ....Overseas contractors (and that includes overseas British contractors) and clients want to see Projects to actually get completed and within budget!! lol!!

The posts on this thread, only reinforce why you will never see them!! lol!!

I think the pictures on the H&S training thread demonstrate Europe's and Asia's idea on good H&S, I am of the opinion that the HSE are there for a reason, and that isn't to create hurdles and blockades but to protect the employees/ers, not all of it is enforced correctly but can see the logic to some of the reasoning.

The difference between ''Good'' H&S officers from the likes of Aussie, Canada, NZ, and even the Sates that you now find on the bigger projects in Asia and the British bloody idiots that you seem to respect for some reason, is like chalk an cheese!!

Commonsense always prevails over total stupidity!! Something like you, trying to use a humorous photo's thread, to depict typical H&S actualities!!

I didn't say I respected our H&S officers, what I said was I appreciate what they are there for and do not have a total disregard for it like some people who have commented. I know that they can make life very difficult with their jobs worth approach but that doesn't make what they are trying to achieve any different. Common sense certainly does help with regards to H&S and goes a long way to prevent accidents but as said before, accidents do happen, the point I was making was that they are there to raise awareness and try to instil the safe approach mentality, just remember workers on site aren't always tradesmen/engineers and therefore the common sense isn't always there to start with. As for the pictures, these are factual, and a statement of stupidity to the lengths people will go to get the job done, not trying to depict typical H&S as a whole.

I didn't say I respected our H&S officers, what I said was I appreciate what they are there for and do not have a total disregard for it like some people who have commented. I know that they can make life very difficult with their jobs worth approach but that doesn't make what they are trying to achieve any different. Common sense certainly does help with regards to H&S and goes a long way to prevent accidents but as said before, accidents do happen, the point I was making was that they are there to raise awareness and try to instil the safe approach mentality, just remember workers on site aren't always tradesmen/engineers and therefore the common sense isn't always there to start with. As for the pictures, these are factual, and a statement of stupidity to the lengths people will go to get the job done, not trying to depict typical H&S as a whole.

Well when these British H&S officers start living in the real world and applying a commonsense approach to they're profession, then they will get respect. Unfortunately they use the power invested in them, to build little dictatorship empires on virtually every project in th UK, creating work where none is needed or wanted. They seem to be most happy, when causing delays to work elements and/or costing the contactors unnecessary money...They actually think this is a good indication, that they are doing a good job FFS!!

No-one denies that H&S is an important factor on any project, but in the UK, you have let these safety officers literary take over projects (well almost), and why it's almost impossible to to bring projects home, anywhere near on time and virtually never within budget!!

And that's not even mentioning anything about our manufacturing industry. Where these jumped up Hitler's types also have a toe hold and probably why in no small way, that UK find it difficult to be able to compete with other European exporting countries!!

I think we've probably bottomed this one out now, unless of course you have anything else to add :), we are both of the opinion that some H&S officers use there power to the full and hinder where they can, in my experience some also apply common sense and do their best to ensure the job continues. We both seem to agree that H&S has an important part of any project when applied correctly and can actually enhance the reputation of a contract company with regards to this. Whether H&S is the down fall of our whole contracting industry is probably debatable but I'm sure it may hinder in some way, shape or form. As a separate discussion if we are all part of the same EU and applying such standards does this not fall upon the H&S aspect where you believe other countries have such a head start to us? Just for the record I am not a H&S officer by the way :)

Reply to Standards Manager? HSE in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock