Discuss Starting a few jobs on my own in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robsparx

Hi, I've recently qualified, but got made redundant shortly after. Been umemployed for 6 weeks now, and a few people are asking me about doing jobs for them. Ideally I would like to get another full time job with a firm, but this may not be possible at the moment.

What exactly do i need to have to legally do installations in domestic properties? Obviously public liability. Whats the minimum ££ cover i need? Also I'm not sure where i stand with testing and signing off work

Do i need to register with ECA or something, or just a domestic installers scheme? I have passed my 17th update the other week, and am booked in to do 2391 at the end of may. Also awaiting my JIB registration. I'm just trying to work out how much this is all going to cost to get started.

I've also been asked to price a job tommorow, which i've not really had to do before, i think its a part re-wire/DB upgrade, so i may come back and ask for advice on that.

cheers, Bob

Oh and one more thing. Do i need professional indemnity cover?

And I have got a quote of £120 for £5 million public liabilty - domestic and commercial which sounds like a good price. Is it worth spending more to get tools/hired plant covered, and personal accident cover etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bob

If you are just domestic you need your Part P and within 12 months your 2382 17th edition. To self certify you need to register with the NICEIC or similar, with them you need 2 million public liability and looking at their website thats just under £70.00. From what you say you are almost there.

Good luck

Chris

Cheers guys!

What are the NICEIC assessments like?

I have been asked to do a re wire on a completely gutted 3 bed house, I think they want me to start very soon. could i start the job, then sort out assessment, use it for the assessment, then sign it off once my registration is complete?

And could i just change the CU in my house for the small job assessment?

Reply to Starting a few jobs on my own in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net