Currently reading:
Starting out.

Discuss Starting out. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dolhouse2

I have just completed the Domestic Installers course through new Career Skills in Southampton. I am now looking for work in the Christchurch/Bournemouth areas. I am also looking at completing the C&G Inspection and Testing Course. I believe that the 2391 has now been succeeded by the 2394/95....is that the case? Any helpful advice will do.
Regards Chris

That domestic installers course isnt worth a ---- mate unless you are going to work for yourself.In that case you wll need to buy a van,tools,drills,public liability insurance,advertising etc.You wpnt get a job as a spark anywhere unless you have some proper electrical qualifications to go with it

dont forget professional indemnity insurance, part p membership, ECS card.
Yes the 2391 has been replaced,
2392-10 is fundamental inspection and testing C&G
2394-01/2395-01 is initial verification and periodic testing C&G
you can usually do both in one go at most places. Isnt cheap.
You do need to get some experience though, apply to all the major companies around where you live, explain that ideally you are looking for experience possibly leading to a full time job. You may have to do some non paid work experience im afraid but the more you do the better it will look on a CV.
On-site work is nothing like what you would have done at college.

dont forget professional indemnity insurance, part p membership, ECS card.
Yes the 2391 has been replaced,
2392-10 is fundamental inspection and testing C&G
2394-01/2395-01 is initial verification and periodic testing C&G
you can usually do both in one go at most places. Isnt cheap.
You do need to get some experience though, apply to all the major companies around where you live, explain that ideally you are looking for experience possibly leading to a full time job. You may have to do some non paid work experience im afraid but the more you do the better it will look on a CV.
On-site work is nothing like what you would have done at college.

Yea people steal your tools and you get brick dust in your coffee.

I have just completed the Domestic Installers course through new Career Skills in Southampton. I am now looking for work in the Christchurch/Bournemouth areas. I am also looking at completing the C&G Inspection and Testing Course. I believe that the 2391 has now been succeeded by the 2394/95....is that the case? Any helpful advice will do.
Regards Chris
guidance note three...lots of it...coupled with extensive practical experience

Another brainwash victim.

OP you're qualifications (says laughing) aren't worth a 10,000th of the 5k or whatever you paid.

Good luck on finding an employer, because very few do with the pieces of bog roll you have.

Sorry to be blunt, but it's the truth. What did the DI arseholes say to you when you finished the course ? "Good luck brainwash victim" ?

It's a complete farce.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah advantages of -----! No one touches my kit. I'm avoided like the plague after initial introductions. Yummy brick dust.

wade88 has ----- aswell, so he can probably relate to that.

Hahahah.
The old guy who did most of my 'mentoring/training' throughout my apprenticeship had darts on Wednesdays, used to come to work half ****ed still. He grabbed my ----- on a couple of occasions. Had to be careful on Thursdays how I worked, on the occasions it happened I was balanced dangerously, I.e on the wooden batons of shelving inside an airing cupboard, or stood on top of a NSH heater with my back to a wall. But...I never actually had to work on a Friday after it happened, the company thought I had and i still got paid!

Hahahah.
The old guy who did most of my 'mentoring/training' throughout my apprenticeship had darts on Wednesdays, used to come to work half ****ed still. He grabbed my ----- on a couple of occasions. Had to be careful on Thursdays how I worked, on the occasions it happened I was balanced dangerously, I.e on the wooden batons of shelving inside an airing cupboard, or stood on top of a NSH heater with my back to a wall. But...I never actually had to work on a Friday after it happened, the company thought I had and i still got paid!

My boss was the same :(

Hahahah.
nowt a mousetrap down yer top wouldn`t have fixed...

Hahaha I thought u had written moustache and didn't understand!!! D'uh
i quickly learnt to wear layers all year round due to him making comments about getting pokey nipples! I has given me a complex!

Fair play to you for sticking at it, can imagine it must of been hard.

Never come across a lass electrician - not on site, or throughout any of my training.

For putting up with your boss being like that, now you're self employed you should make him shove some work your way lol ....blackmail ;)

Hahaha I thought u had written moustache and didn't understand!!! D'uh
i quickly learnt to wear layers all year round due to him making comments about getting pokey nipples! I has given me a complex!
a bit hot in the summer though eh?

- - - Updated - - -

I know I should have, but on a serious note...it was damn hard to be accepted because I'm a girl and it would have alienated me completely! Yea it made things awkward but I didn't feel threatened at any time.
no need to get personal love...

Tommy.dale. He had the belly not the -----!!

Markc123 Thank you! It was only the massive industrial jobs that were a bit hard. The company I trained with has hit very hard times, were being run by the bank last I heard!

Glennspark. I was super skinny back then so had no body fat to keep me warm hahahahahahaha. My first ever day I walked into a room, floorboards were up and I just stepped down and walked across plasterboard! The electrician on that job nearly had a heartattack before he managed to push me off and explain!

Alienated? Personal? i don't get the joke :( what do u mean?

Markc123 Thank you! It was only the massive industrial jobs that were a bit hard. The company I trained with has hit very hard times, were being run by the bank last I heard!

Glennspark. I was super skinny back then so had no body fat to keep me warm hahahahahahaha. My first ever day I walked into a room, floorboards were up and I just stepped down and walked across plasterboard! The electrician on that job nearly had a heartattack before he managed to push me off and explain!

so you were useful to have around then?:joker:

ouch...burn!!!
my first day! i went from studying law to working on building sites! major difference, i didnt know!
good job i was so little back then, didnt have the weight to drop through! still

Fair play to you for sticking at it, can imagine it must of been hard.

Never come across a lass electrician - not on site, or throughout any of my training.

For putting up with your boss being like that, now you're self employed you should make him shove some work your way lol ....blackmail ;)

You've never come across a lass full stop you soft arse.

Reply to Starting out. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock