Discuss Introducing myself in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am Tony. Just introducing myself.

I am in a difficult position myself trying to decide at 38 with 1 kid about changing careers and have been looking to become a Sparky. It's not easy making a huge decision to change your careers when you have a mortgage and bills to pay.

I am in IT right now but I still haven't made my decision into what I want to do but stuck between maybe plumbing and electrics. They are supposed to be the best 2 paid trades.

I live close by to one centre and was wondering if it this would be a good one for electrical courses? Learn Trade Skills | C & G Electrical Courses and Training - https://learntradeskills.co.uk/

I can't comment on the training centre you mention, but research very carefully before you commit to any. There are a number of threads on here from people who have signed up to training courses only to find out they are not what they appeared, and they are committed to large sums of money (to a finance provider) that they can't cancel.

All trades are the "best paid trades" untill you actually get to work in them.
Then you find out the claims from people being on mega money aren't true for the majority.
You need to be in the right place, working for the right employer, with the right experience and with that employer having continuous well paid work, something that will be getting harder to find as everyone wants to save costs.

As SJD, you need to do plenty of research and particulary where training providers are concerned.
Remember Training providers business model it to earn as much money as they can from trainees, what happens after the trainees leave their centres is not their concern.
There's no comeback on them if the trainee dosen't get a job or work.

Thanks sir. Really appreciate the advice.

Lots of people like yourself are telling me to avoid fast track courses so trying my best.

They have this package supposedly for career changers on a part time basis to become a domestic installer and register to a competent person scheme, but was not sure if this would be ideal? Professional Electricians Course Package - https://www.learntradeskills.co.uk/product/professional-electrical-course-package/

They also seem to have a package that makes you fully qualified but requires full time training which makes me reluctant : Gold Card Electrical Course Package - Learn Trade Skills - https://www.learntradeskills.co.uk/product/gold-card-electrical-course/

Retraining at this age is not ideal and I am a little divided

I would check carefully with the competent person schemes (NICEIC, NAPIT), and if the qualifications you would gain meet their requirements. The schemes tightened their requirements a year or so ago, and there people disappointed they didn't meet the requirements to register after all.

I don't think you can go far wrong with learning any of the main trades, like plumbing/heating . electrical . plastering and tiling etc etc
Most self employed trades blokes I know in my area are making around £600-£650 a day, and that is just jobbing around in the local area in a small van doing small jobs. There aren't many other jobs that you will earn that sort of money in a single day ( legal jobs that is )

I am also new and not at all experienced in tradesmanship but I would have to say you have to go with what you love doing.

If you are choosing between two completely different jobs based on the pay that is the wrong metric to be judging them by.

Would you rather earn £30k doing something you love and are good at, or £40k doing something you hate and are crap at?

Any of these fast track courses are missing a key component. On site experience
Admittedly a mature learner doesn't / shouldn't need as much training as a 16 year old straight out of school but nothing beats learning on the job.
It is possible, some members on here have done it quite successfully.
Realistically even if you could become self employed straight out of one of these courses you are going to take at least twice as long, if not longer to do a job.
This will make it harder for you to get and keep customers.
Without a shadow of a doubt the best way forward would be to work for someone else until you have found your feet.

I think the national average for a self employed Spark is about £40 PH going from various polls on here.
To start with you wont get anywhere near that due to speed, down time, mistakes, fluffing up pricing etc.

Factor in lost time for quoting, paperwork, holidays, sickness, others disorganisation, time wasting customers etc, etc.

Running costs.
Van, insurances, pension, wear and tear on tools, calibration, work clothes,. This list is a bit longer for me as I'm a self confessed tool tart. :D :D

As much as I moan about it from time to time I really enjoy my job particularly being self employed.

If you think you can make a go of it and are able to take the financial hit during the learning curve then you should but you should do it with your eyes open.

The reality is quite far removed from what the training providers will tell you.

Being in the trades is 50% being good at your job ( trade ) and 50% being good at business...

They really do go hand in hand, and to begin with I almost guarantee you will under price yourself to begin with and only be paying yourself around 200 quid a day because you messed up the business side of the business ( if that makes sense )

I no longer bust a gut and am happy to work just 4 days most weeks now and will make way more than most people my age who are busting a nut for someone else

Guys thank you for the great advice. Definitely agree regarding doing what you love but I am getting pushed out of my current position and the pay was not well anyway.

Time to make something of myself before I get too old for these things. I had worked with my uncle a little when I was younger and he is a sparky himself.

He pushed me towards being fully qualified and getting my NVQ. He said he can help with the portfolio and experience element so I am going ahead with this electrical course

This company also has an electrical wing to help get onsite experience which I found useful so going ahead with them

Great! Once you have enrolled you can get access to our trainee forum :)

Great! Once you have enrolled you can get access to our trainee forum :)
Hi @lou yes I am going ahead with the Gold Card Package: Gold Card Electrical Course Package - Learn Trade Skills - https://www.learntradeskills.co.uk/product/gold-card-electrical-course/

They guarantee employment support until you find your first job so that gave me some confidence and it seems they have small classrooms maximum 10-12. It is a family run centre which I liked when visiting.

I will keep the forum updated with how it goes!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Introducing myself in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net