Discuss Strange fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's just a switch mate and doesn't trip.
Internal mechanism might be shot though causing it to open but you would tell that when closing it surely !

Maybe someone thinks that green means "go".
There is no way I can think of that all the MCB's, plus the main switch would end up in the off position unless..
a) Someone is messing
b) There is a ghost

You have done all that you possibly can, so maybe suggest to the homeowner that they get someone else to come and have a look at it.
I know you won't want to walk away from the problem, but I really can't see how it is anything other than human interferance.

Last edited:
I know mate it feels fine when closing, def think someones messing around.

I would disconnect the main switch inside the consumer(without telling them) and just have the rcd covering the board....I'm guessing there's another isolator on the tails?
If it opens again then someone is extracting the proverbial mate lol

edit
and put another mcb in, but not wired up, and see if that trips lol

^^^ was going to say pretty much the same thing....short out the switch out of circuit, you're not leaving the install any less 'protected' temporarily, see what happens. If it only happens night, might be someone sleep walking?? Kids do do this!

Get a a camera in there. Its the only way youre gonna prove exactly what's going on and who's doing what. It's also going to save you visiting every day. Unless you want to visit every day of course ;-) daz

Cheers Rockingit, It's been happening between 5pm and 10pm at night which I think is when the daughter goes to bed, and it never happens when their not in.
So definatley points to her !

Maybe someone thinks that green means "go".
There is no way I can think of that all the MCB's, plus the main switch would end up in the off position unless..
a) Someone is messing
b) There is a ghost

You have done all that you possibly can, so maybe suggest to the homeowner that they get someone else to come and have a look at it.
I know you won't want to walk away from the problem, but I really can't see how it is anything other than human interferance.

Who's she gonna call? Ghostbusters! :60:

Get a a camera in there. Its the only way youre gonna prove exactly what's going on and who's doing what. It's also going to save you visiting every day. Unless you want to visit every day of course ;-) daz

A photo of the mother and daughter would help here:)
Bodders has been going to this fault for 3 year seemingly:drool5:

Hi Dan,

I've only been twice once for a quick look which I didn't charge for, and the eicr which i did, the rest so far has been over the phone, anything other visits I'll just charge my normal hourly rate. cheers
Lee

IMG_1129.jpg
Lets see what occurs tonight !!
Told her to call me if it trips and not to remove the tape

They haven’t hand anylights fitted with electronic chokes fitted recently as these can sometimestrip mcbs as I had some in a couple of lights and had to put a type c mcb in

Reply to Strange fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net