Discuss Terminate SWA in Wiska or straight to Garage CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Most DIYers haven’t got a clue what part pee is let alone booking the job in with building controller

Bacon to the OP , 2.5 swa is easily manipulated through a wall and formed to go directly up to a position. So I would take directly to my consumer unit position

I personally don’t like cAbles being unnecessarily cut and joined..

My original question did ask whether to terminate the SWA at the outside Wiska leaving enough length in the cores to push through to the Cu and connect there.
I just think that would look tidier and join direct to the CU from the house.

Third party verification is one option , but I have heard prices can vary dramatically..
If you have already nearly finished the job then third party is probably your best bet. At this point building controller probably won’t work.
Or you could just do the job and not bother with any of the red tape :rolleyes:

Not so. A third party notification should be designed by the signing party and inspected at first and second fix.

My original question did ask whether to terminate the SWA at the outside Wiska leaving enough length in the cores to push through to the Cu and connect there.
I just think that would look tidier and join direct to the CU from the house.

Not sure I would agree with you on that.
You say that the shed is wood.
How would an armoured cable routed on the outside of the shed look better than one routed inside?.... Just my opinion...

Fair point re the DIYers. i Like to thinl i am not in that category but i suppose i would wouldn't I!

You hit the nail on the head there. No diyer who attempts electrical work thinks of themselves as any less competent than an electrician. that's why they attempt it.
It's an especially prevalent mindset amongst those who make a completely unsafe mess of it.

Not sure I would agree with you on that.
You say that the shed is wood.
How would an armoured cable routed on the outside of the shed look better than one routed inside?.... Just my opinion...

SWA goes up external wall on side which can’t be seen.
Terminated at Wiska. Cores go through back of Wiska in through the back of the CU on opposite side.
No SWA showing inside and one conduit coming down to the first socket in radial circuit

Seems tidy to me.

Most DIYers haven’t got a clue what part pee is let alone booking the job in with building controller

Bacon to the OP , 2.5 swa is easily manipulated through a wall and formed to go directly up to a position. So I would take directly to my consumer unit position

I personally don’t like cAbles being unnecessarily cut and joined..
Same here , you are going to have to come through , or under the wall at some stage. Save yourself a load of grief trying to terminate into an adaptable box and wire it neatly directly into your metal CU.

SWA goes up external wall on side which can’t be seen.
Terminated at Wiska. Cores go through back of Wiska in through the back of the CU on opposite side.
No SWA showing inside and one conduit coming down to the first socket in radial circuit

Seems tidy to me.

A lot tidier would be under the shed and up through the floor. Why have a gland and point of termination outside when it can be inside ?

Still don't know what the earthing arrangement is...
OP, please see questions in post '#18 above.

Still don't know what the earthing arrangement is...
OP, please see questions in post '#18 above.
Where you seeing the post number?

Anyway.
Earth would be coming from house in SWA. connection at earth terminal in CU.
Connect SWA to earth terminal and the first socket on radial.
Each socket on radial earthed as metal being used.

Where you seeing the post number?

Anyway.
Earth would be coming from house in SWA. connection at earth terminal in CU.
Connect SWA to earth terminal and the first socket on radial.
Each socket on radial earthed as metal being used.

Post number is right at the bottom of the post next to where it says +Quote in grey.
Spoon is asking what is the earthing arrangement for the installation, how does your supply derive its earth path and by which connection method.

Post number is right at the bottom of the post next to where it says +Quote in grey.
Spoon is asking what is the earthing arrangement for the installation, how does your supply derive its earth path and by which connection method.
Ah it’s not there on portrait view on my mobile. Is on landscape (tilting phone).

Technically no where as this is all theory.

You mean the main supply to the property? Looks like the earth connects to the main SWA coming into the property. Assuming that’s what it is. There’s definitely an earth block there.
So depends if I take supply from main supply of house or socket ring.

Thanks for that. Generic but valid response.

Of course getting an electrician in would solve everything. But that’s not what i am asking.

As frustrating as it is sometimes to posters on here, you have no control over or rights to the answers you get to your questions. If you are not getting the answers you expect or want then you must want a particular answer, which means you already know the answer.

Your question was, "I wanted to know the best approach of connecting to a Garage CU."

Having weighed up all your plans and responses to questions, I too feel Vortigern's response is the route that best answers your question.
A local electrician may be open to you helping by installing the first fix to their design, which may be a good compromise.

As frustrating as it is sometimes to posters on here, you have no control over or rights to the answers you get to your questions. If you are not getting the answers you expect or want then you must want a particular answer, which means you already know the answer.

Your question was, "I wanted to know the best approach of connecting to a Garage CU."

Having weighed up all your plans and responses to questions, I too feel Vortigern's response is the route that best answers your question.
A local electrician may be open to you helping by installing the first fix to their design, which may be a good compromise.

I wasn’t unhappy with any response.

My question was specifically relating to the connection to the CU from outside.
Others asked more questions of me that don’t affect whether I go through the floor or through an external box. In answering those questions I expose my lack of knowledge and terminology.
And which point the thread goes off topic.

Reply to Terminate SWA in Wiska or straight to Garage CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock