Discuss Testing Ring Continuity short Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
just a quick question I want to clear up, basically when testing a ring circuit, why is it that the ohm values slightly increase per reading, and highest at the centre point?

and by how much does the resistance increase when a cable is connected, say with a terminal block. apposed to say a complete round circuit with no connects, if it as possible to make such a cable, (like the letter O, a complete band , hope u get my drift)

cheers

The reason the ohm value increases is because the cable length is longer which increases the resistance of the cable. And for your second question i havent got a clue.

the ohm value shouldnt increase at all, should it? If the readings taken at the interconnection then shouldn't it be the same at every other point? so confusing

Luke,

if the readings are increasing, then you are doing it wrong:rolleyes:

step one - end to ends of the phase (r1) neutral (rn) and cpc (r2)

if using 2.5/1.5 twin and earth then r2 is 1.66 times higher value than r1 and rn (because 2.5/1.5 = 1.66)

step 2 cross connect phase and neutral - incoming phase to outgoing neutral and outgoing phase to incoming neutral

measure between phase and neutral at each socket. value should be the same (+-0.05 ohms) with the value being r1+rn divided by 4. If you your valew is increasing then you have connected incoming to incoming, and outgoing to outgoing

step 3 - do same with phase and CPC, value will be r1 + r2 divided by 4, and will be your R1+R2 value for the circuit.

Both step 2 and step 3 readings will increase slightly on spurs.

any junctions boxes or connections that yopu add to the circuit will potentiall add resistance

sorry if i am egg sucking, but i appreciate that some people may be reading this and learning something!!!:eek::)

If they are going up and down around the ring, it normally means you've got the wrong legs crossed! (Most uncomfortable! ;))

Reply to Testing Ring Continuity short Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock