Discuss time clock in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,I have fitted a timeclock throgh a contactor for some outside lights,and when I press the over ride on the time clock the lights only come on for a few seconds,then the contactor kicks,yet when I press from auto to over ride at the switch, they stay on, is this normal.I have read the instructions back to front but no info about it on there,Anyone got any ideas?

What do you mean by the contactor 'kicks'?

Which sangamo digital timeswitch is it? I've had trouble in the past with the override on the digital round pattern timeswitch, the button on the side of the housing was sticking and the timeswitch would register a double press every time you pushed it.

What do you mean by the contactor 'kicks'?

Which sangamo digital timeswitch is it? I've had trouble in the past with the override on the digital round pattern timeswitch, the button on the side of the housing was sticking and the timeswitch would register a double press every time you pushed it.
I meant it comes on for a few seconds then switches back off,Its brand new so would think its not sticking.I can't see it being a fault on the wiring otherwise it wouldn't stay on when I use the main over ride switch or would it only pick up the fault when you use the timeclock over ride,is there a failsafe built into it? Its got me baffled .its a sangamo digital 854,and thanks for your reply

Use a test lamp and monitor the output from the time switch to the contactor under both conditions.
Test lamp or analog meter. You won’t see a pulse on one of those new fangled digital test meter thingies.

I meant it comes on for a few seconds then switches back off,Its brand new so would think its not sticking.I can't see it being a fault on the wiring otherwise it wouldn't stay on when I use the main over ride switch or would it only pick up the fault when you use the timeclock over ride,is there a failsafe built into it? Its got me baffled .its a sangamo digital 854,and thanks for your reply

Can you clarify what you mean by the main override switch? As far as I can remember e854 only has one override button, the one on the outside of the base.
It is this override button which I had trouble with in the past, it was registering a double press of the button so only energising the output for a second.
That override button should switch on the output for 2 hours.

Does the timeswitch operate correctly otherwise?

Can you clarify what you mean by the main override switch? As far as I can remember e854 only has one override button, the one on the outside of the base.
It is this override button which I had trouble with in the past, it was registering a double press of the button so only energising the output for a second.
That override button should switch on the output for 2 hours.

Does the timeswitch operate correctly otherwise?
There is a switch with off, auto and over ride on it, the over ride on the switch makes the lights stay on no problem,but when I tested the over ride switch on the clock itself they only stayed on for a few seconds,so was wondering if that was normal.If they are staying on from the switch on the wall I am presuming there is no wiring fault and it is just something to do with the timeclock itself. I have double checked everything and can't see anything wrong.
[automerge]1599389794[/automerge]
There is a switch with off, auto and over ride on it, the over ride on the switch makes the lights stay on no problem,but when I tested the over ride switch on the clock itself they only stayed on for a few seconds,so was wondering if that was normal.If they are staying on from the switch on the wall I am presuming there is no wiring fault and it is just something to do with the timeclock itself. I have double checked everything and can't see anything wrong.
i turned it off because I dont want to risk burning out a £170 time clock until I am sure its normal

Is there any other control on the circuit for example a photocell?

Is there any other control on the circuit for example a photocell?
Do you know what,I am sure I saw one outside the garage but thought it was for the lights on the garage wall.
[automerge]1599390742[/automerge]
Do you know what,I am sure I saw one outside the garage but thought it was for the lights on the garage wall.
I think you have just cracked it,will check its on the same circuit tomorrow. Thanks a lot,I really appreciate the advice

If there is one it would explain the problem.

Reply to time clock in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock