Discuss Tracing alarm spur in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

doodarr

Hi gents,

I'm going to a friends tonight as he has an old alarm and wants it removing so he can get the walls plastered. I had a quick look last night (with no gear). Its off a fused spur (2.5mm) fuse has been removed so it's dead but cable may not be. The cable doesn't go straight to the CU from the FCU but away from it (presumably to the ring main) and assuming under the floor. Any quick fixes to find it's source other than checking all sockets lol. Any good ideas would be great.
Thanks

Could you not isolate it, remove cable to either underfloor or into roof space and terminate it there, labelled up where it is fed from, would save a lot of time.

If its already been disconnected at origin then ask the person the person who disconnected it

If its still connected at source then get yourself a cable finder and follow it from the alarm (FCU) back to the source.
Other option is leave the FCU in place if there is a chance that your mate wants a new alarm installed in a year or so.
Otherwise check all sockets

I always like to remove anything I disconnect (I'm a neat freak like that) and it's behind the skirting then assuming below the floor (flat so concrete roof). I'm concerned if I leave it teminated without removing it he might screw into it or something stupid. He's that unlucky. lol

Hi,

No he doesn't want another alarm. It's surface mounted then behind skirting then assuming under the floor. I'll remove skirting to night but it's laminate floor and don't want to take it all up to remove floorboards to trace wire.
Checking where spur is souced from seems only option checking all sockets.

Ok when he disconnected it that was handy for him but first find out what circuit it is off and because there is one cable then it sounds like it is spurred as you say off the ring if it does tie up to the ring then open the nearest socket to see if it is connected I wont tell you to look for 3 cables because the socket it is spurred off could be a spur itself

Thats the problem there isn't a socket near it at all. It's in the centre of the house and could be in any room. Nothing like an 'easy termination' lol. I'll just have to do some visual & testing work and do it the old way and work it out. Was hoping for some gret new magic way lol Any advice would be great.

Dillb,

Great idea!! Never even crossed my mind. Will check to night to ensure it's not a spur off spur then suggest (demand lol) he has a socket there. Great. Thanks for all your help gents. :eek:)

One last thing rather than start a new topic. He's just told me he wire'd a light with 3 wires line/nutral/CPC. using a regular rose.
Any ideas on what he's done??

One last thing rather than start a new topic. He's just told me he wire'd a light with 3 wires line/nutral/CPC. using a regular rose.
Any ideas on what he's done??
If he has three cores (L N E) (presumable from one twin and earth cable) coming into the plate and the line and neutral are connected through to the light fitting and the light is working normally on a switch rather than permanently powered then I would say he has "fed the switch" i.e. he has taken a cable to the light switch switched the line and then using the light switch as a junction box for earth and Neutral taken that cable up to the light fitting.

Just to update everyone. The alarm was from the fusebox. Doubled back on its self and was connected with the boiler on a 15amp fuse. Tested wires to find the wire and removed safely. Job done. :eek:)

Reply to Tracing alarm spur in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net