Currently reading:
What code? bonding conductor

Discuss What code? bonding conductor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I must say I see many CUs around here installed on wooden battens and all cables coming in through the rear knockout. Usually Wylex or Crabtree. Seems to have been the standard way of doing it for a long time.

I must say I see many CUs around here installed on wooden battens and all cables coming in through the rear knockout. Usually Wylex or Crabtree. Seems to have been the standard way of doing it for a long time.
Indeed. It's particularly advantageous where you need to add cables later. If access is tight, making a new hole in the side/top/bottom of a CU can be a right pain.

Bit confused where does mounting it on battens come into it. The board in the picture clearly has the back knocked out, is mounted flat leaving conductors exposed to a combustible surface.

You can’t code it for being mounted on a wooden surface even with the back cut out IMO without evidence of a problem or even loose connections.
Bit like a plastic consumer unit which is combustible.
Check tightness of connections,tight and secure, no code.

Last edited:
Bit confused where does mounting it on battens come into it. The board in the picture clearly has the back knocked out, is mounted flat leaving conductors exposed to a combustible surface.
I was replying generally to the idea of using rear knockouts. In the OP's picture it does look like the CU is mounted straight on a wooden surface, with the back knocked out. Not sure why I must say.

You can code it for being mounted on a wooden surface even with the back cut out IMO without evidence of a problem or even loose connections.
Bit like a plastic consumer unit which is combustible.
Check tightness of connections,tight and secure, no code.
You mean can't code it?

pity there isn't a code for "it's an abortion but it works, dunnit?"

Reply to What code? bonding conductor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock