• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss What have you done or learnt during lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Wow, again! That's exactly the same one as we have at the Men's Shed, and which we have refurbished...indeed it was the rear terminal block of that i put up pics of a few weeks back (and got ridiculed for my label!) Great machine, and spares and accessories still available. We bought some new...erm...chucks? for it, don't really know what they do exactly, and they were expensive, but that machine is built to last!

1. How to use Zoom for one to one and one to many - brilliant software.

2. Still lemonade from real lemons, sugar and boiling water - only takes 5 minutes and then chilled in fridge. Good Housekeeping recipe.

3. How to post a picture to google and then link to it in a post ( - a workaround because the EF have employed the same folk to fix the attach image problem that HMG used to procure PPE for the NHS!)

4. How to sketch on-line using 3D paint software.

5. Most parts of the human body in French - one never knows - someday it could come in handy to know one's ar.e (- la fesse = buttock) from one's elbow (- le coude).

6. the names of more neighbours thanks to the VE street party.

Last edited:
Good luck with the plaster mate.....I’ve got 3 jobs now held up due to no multi finish nationwide, have you seen the price of it on eBay ?.....are the worktops in situ or can you take them out to refurb?

I have a plasterer who has supplies in hand.

I'd rather keep the tops in situ but can remove the sink and hob to make it easier.

If they’re kitchen work tops, mull over whether you’re prepared to do the regular maintenance to keep them looking good. Been there once and subsequent kitchen refurbs we’ve steered clear of wood. :)

They are existing tops in a kitchen which will get completely replaced within 5 years so I'm not too fussed about them being pristine all the time. Just need to get rid of stains and replace the finish to make them serviceable.
Been looking at hard wax oils which apparently don't need as much regular attention as standard oil finishes.

hey are existing tops in a kitchen which will get completely replaced within 5 years so I'm not too fussed about them being pristine all the time. Just need to get rid of stains and replace the finish to make them serviceable.
Been looking at hard wax oils which apparently don't need as much regular attention as standard oil finishes
How to care for a wooden worktop

1. Do the water test. Test oiled worktops to see if they need re-oiling by dripping water onto their surface. ...
  2. Sand them down. Use a hand-held electric sander to resurface the wood and remove any varnish, or simply to refresh previously oiled worktops.
  3. Apply the oil. ...
  4. Leave it to dry. ...
  5. Test them again. ...
  6. Protect them from heat. …
    it puzzles me when people put a dark stain on the work tops when you should show the beauty for the wood .

They are existing tops in a kitchen which will get completely replaced within 5 years so I'm not too fussed about them being pristine all the time. Just need to get rid of stains and replace the finish to make them serviceable.
Been looking at hard wax oils which apparently don't need as much regular attention as standard oil finishes.
I say that .. whilst actually having no say in our kitchen design ;) My wife did get quite good at stripping back and applying fresh Danish Oil ...,, to the kitchen work top that is!;)

You're the first person to spot that... Now sporting a keyless chuck so no key to worry about...

During the early days of my apprenticeship the machineshop foreman would go around and wack everyone on the head even if you left the chuck key in for just one second!

He had a fantastic sense of being able to be there just when you made any mistake whatsoever!

Sort of spot things like that from a mile away since then.

Guess it worked!

(he always had a real story for every mistake, from chuck keys, through cleaning swarf on a mill, to long hair pulling the operator's head into the machinery! - It was the 70's)

During the early days of my apprenticeship the machineshop foreman would go around and wack everyone on the head even if you left the chuck key in for just one second!

He had a fantastic sense of being able to be there just when you made any mistake whatsoever!

Sort of spot things like that from a mile away since then.

Guess it worked!

(he always had a real story for every mistake, from chuck keys, through cleaning swarf on a mill, to long hair pulling the operator's head into the machinery! - It was the 70's)
Learnt the lesson about chuck keys in school as one flew past my head and embedded in a wall, wasn't my machine but my mate one bay down...

Learnt the lesson about chuck keys in school as one flew past my head and embedded in a wall, wasn't my machine but my mate one bay down...

Never actually seen it happen, but the foreman's story went along a similar vein, but involved more blood and gore to someone on the other side of the workshop!

Had the same talk at high school, when they used to let kids loose on the power tools.
Just after a half hour safety talk, which included leaving chuck keys in the chuck....
2 minutes later.... "Wheeeeeeeee....... ding!"

Had the same talk at high school, when they used to let kids loose on the power tools.
Just after a half hour safety talk, which included leaving chuck keys in the chuck....
2 minutes later.... "Wheeeeeeeee....... ding!"
Some School that was then?

Never actually seen it happen, but the foreman's story went along a similar vein, but involved more blood and gore to someone on the other side of the workshop!
My father in law spent over 50 years in machine engineering and he has some proper horror stories.

My father in law spent over 50 years in machine engineering and he has some proper horror stories.

Yeah, machinery in engineering shops is very unforgiving!

Everyone I know that spent any time working in one has some injuries from it - far more likely than out on site!

Changing now I think, everything has guards, or is cnc so you tend not to learn the hard way!

Reply to What have you done or learnt during lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back