• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss What have you done or learnt during lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Actually put time into my test rig, going from bits to something usable. Converted (read: tidied) the conservatory into a bolt hole form to to do college stuff and escape the kids

Still tinkering with changing my garage into a utility room/ man cave. Realised it’s not wide enough for regulation dart board distances.

New flooring down in the kitchen which was all bought when I floored the garage to keep it the same.

put up some shelving.... the results of that are documented on the “keep it light” thread.

I’m not one for learning a new skill. I have tried years ago to learn a new language or play a musical instrument, and I just don’t have the brain for it. English is bad enough.

painted a main lounge ,garage doors ready for painting the out side house ,metal furnisher out side ,new led garage lighting , sorted the range out side the list goes on ,got to say chained now to the kitchen sink ,I cant take any more .lol.

Last edited:
Cracked on with refurbishing our new family home. We took possession 10 days before lockdown and managed to get a new boiler installed before that.
Since then I've been plodding on with a full rewire and stripping it out ready for a full skimming.
Can't really do everything I want to before more trades and materials become available. Next jobs are to strip out the bathroom, drop two chimney breasts, and learn how to refurbish solid wood worktops nicely.

I've done some garden maintenance and watched a bunch of great webinars from SparkyNinja. But the majority of the last few weeks I've been learning the intricacies of Node.js, PM2, TypeScript and the fun that can be had writing distributed software applications. On that subject, I've considered maybe running some courses/webinars on some techie things, like basic programming, maybe advanced Excel programming, SQL databases... if anyone is interested in learning that kind of thing, do me a favour and send me a direct message telling me what you'd like to learn.

Things I need to do... more garden work and maybe finish the racking off in the back of the van and give it a good tidy.

Cracked on with refurbishing our new family home. We took possession 10 days before lockdown and managed to get a new boiler installed before that.
Since then I've been plodding on with a full rewire and stripping it out ready for a full skimming.
Can't really do everything I want to before more trades and materials become available. Next jobs are to strip out the bathroom, drop two chimney breasts, and learn how to refurbish solid wood worktops nicely.
Good luck with the plaster mate.....I’ve got 3 jobs now held up due to no multi finish nationwide, have you seen the price of it on eBay ?.....are the worktops in situ or can you take them out to refurb?

painted one bedroom, sorted out some old paper work, sold some spare Tools I no longer need on eBay, watched a few movies...
tempted to lift up the old wooden decking as its starting to look a bit rotten but can’t really afford to replace it all due to the lockdown...

If they’re kitchen work tops, mull over whether you’re prepared to do the regular maintenance to keep them looking good. Been there once and subsequent kitchen refurbs we’ve steered clear of wood. :)

if it's hardwood, like oak, sand down using finer grades, finishing up with 600 or finer, till you have a nice smooth surface. then stain if preferred, lacquer or french polish.

I have learnt just how much I hate fkn painting! I have a glazed screen, framed in hardwood, all varnished, which has to be de-glazed cos it's ghastly flemish glass. it takes 2 hours to get one pane out. Then it has to be painted white. The doors took 6 coats, this frame will need more due to the multitude of beadings and grooves. I am currently looking at taking it all out completely and getting a bespoke glass screen and matching door installed.
Also completed watching all JW videos, all Big Clive videos, some Artisan and GSH and other videos and bought tons of stuff online that I will never use.
In addition, I have practised my crimping technique on all sorts of cables, all types of crimps and have exhausted my supply of RJ45 connectors making patch leads I will never use, but will give to the Men's Shed charity I do stuff for.
I have watched a lot of TV, which is unusual for me, but given i have a stupid big bundle from Virgin Media that costs a fortune, Netflix is my friend now. Rust Valley Restorers is fun if you like big American cars, btw!
I also watch A Place In The Sun so I can shout at the telly when Brian and Doris go to Almería to find their dream home and turn down all of the offerings because they don't have a roof terrace or a private pool or a fourth bedroom...all on a budget of €75k.
Other favourites are YouTube music videos of all my favourite bands from years gone by...some truly amazing stuff from black sabbath and deep perple, and many many more.
last night I watched virtually every video of Foster brooks...very amusing, not the least for the fact that everyone smokes cigarettes, especially Dean Martin, and there are some awful racist comments which everyone found funny at the time.
and drinking...I haven't let my regime slip!
can't golf, can't play tennis, but hopefully Scotland will allow this soon. Also annoyed that we have a sailing boat to refurb at the Men's Shed, the weather has been perfect for that, and not a screwdriver lifted yet, so very frustrating.
Sometimes I amuse myself by posting long and uninteresting stuff on an online forum too...

I've been messing with Visio.
Looking at Youtube as to how to do things. Most of it is pretty basic but there are not a lot of advanced vids on the subject.
Also, someone should do a vid on Youtube about using this for doing plans showing the electrics in a house. I can't find one.... Might come in useful as people on here have asked about software to use.. We could then plug the vid.

Been looking at EPLAN as well.

Reply to What have you done or learnt during lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back