Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss What have you done or learnt during lockdown in the COViD-19 / Coronavirus Community Help Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Phil L

-
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

As title what have you done or learnt/changed during lockdown

Have you racked the van, looked at different disciplines or learnt a new skill?

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Supporter
Actually put time into my test rig, going from bits to something usable. Converted (read: tidied) the conservatory into a bolt hole form to to do college stuff and escape the kids

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Still tinkering with changing my garage into a utility room/ man cave. Realised it’s not wide enough for regulation dart board distances.

New flooring down in the kitchen which was all bought when I floored the garage to keep it the same.

put up some shelving.... the results of that are documented on the “keep it light” thread.

I’m not one for learning a new skill. I have tried years ago to learn a new language or play a musical instrument, and I just don’t have the brain for it. English is bad enough.

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
painted a main lounge ,garage doors ready for painting the out side house ,metal furnisher out side ,new led garage lighting , sorted the range out side the list goes on ,got to say chained now to the kitchen sink ,I cant take any more .lol.

Last edited:

JAWS

-
Trainee
Same as Lister really built a new test Rig, studied as much as I can, & getting things done in the house.

stevethesparks

-
Arms
Esteemed
My hobbies got put aside since going self employed. So I have been getting back into my electronics.
Either I've improved or components are more robust, as I'm not blowing up half as many components as I used to :)

ferg

-
Arms
Esteemed
Patron
I've been doing all the jobs in the garden that needed doing.

Made a few raised beds, planted some trees etc etc.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Cracked on with refurbishing our new family home. We took possession 10 days before lockdown and managed to get a new boiler installed before that.
Since then I've been plodding on with a full rewire and stripping it out ready for a full skimming.
Can't really do everything I want to before more trades and materials become available. Next jobs are to strip out the bathroom, drop two chimney breasts, and learn how to refurbish solid wood worktops nicely.

SparkyChick

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I've done some garden maintenance and watched a bunch of great webinars from SparkyNinja. But the majority of the last few weeks I've been learning the intricacies of Node.js, PM2, TypeScript and the fun that can be had writing distributed software applications. On that subject, I've considered maybe running some courses/webinars on some techie things, like basic programming, maybe advanced Excel programming, SQL databases... if anyone is interested in learning that kind of thing, do me a favour and send me a direct message telling me what you'd like to learn.

Things I need to do... more garden work and maybe finish the racking off in the back of the van and give it a good tidy.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Cracked on with refurbishing our new family home. We took possession 10 days before lockdown and managed to get a new boiler installed before that.
Since then I've been plodding on with a full rewire and stripping it out ready for a full skimming.
Can't really do everything I want to before more trades and materials become available. Next jobs are to strip out the bathroom, drop two chimney breasts, and learn how to refurbish solid wood worktops nicely.
Good luck with the plaster mate.....I’ve got 3 jobs now held up due to no multi finish nationwide, have you seen the price of it on eBay 😩.....are the worktops in situ or can you take them out to refurb?

painted one bedroom, sorted out some old paper work, sold some spare Tools I no longer need on eBay, watched a few movies...
tempted to lift up the old wooden decking as its starting to look a bit rotten but can’t really afford to replace it all due to the lockdown...

FatAlan

-
Trainee
If they’re kitchen work tops, mull over whether you’re prepared to do the regular maintenance to keep them looking good. Been there once and subsequent kitchen refurbs we’ve steered clear of wood. :)

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
if it's hardwood, like oak, sand down using finer grades, finishing up with 600 or finer, till you have a nice smooth surface. then stain if preferred, lacquer or french polish.

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
I have learnt just how much I hate fkn painting! I have a glazed screen, framed in hardwood, all varnished, which has to be de-glazed cos it's ghastly flemish glass. it takes 2 hours to get one pane out. Then it has to be painted white. The doors took 6 coats, this frame will need more due to the multitude of beadings and grooves. I am currently looking at taking it all out completely and getting a bespoke glass screen and matching door installed.
Also completed watching all JW videos, all Big Clive videos, some Artisan and GSH and other videos and bought tons of stuff online that I will never use.
In addition, I have practised my crimping technique on all sorts of cables, all types of crimps and have exhausted my supply of RJ45 connectors making patch leads I will never use, but will give to the Men's Shed charity I do stuff for.
I have watched a lot of TV, which is unusual for me, but given i have a stupid big bundle from Virgin Media that costs a fortune, Netflix is my friend now. Rust Valley Restorers is fun if you like big American cars, btw!
I also watch A Place In The Sun so I can shout at the telly when Brian and Doris go to Almería to find their dream home and turn down all of the offerings because they don't have a roof terrace or a private pool or a fourth bedroom...all on a budget of €75k.
Other favourites are YouTube music videos of all my favourite bands from years gone by...some truly amazing stuff from black sabbath and deep perple, and many many more.
last night I watched virtually every video of Foster brooks...very amusing, not the least for the fact that everyone smokes cigarettes, especially Dean Martin, and there are some awful racist comments which everyone found funny at the time.
and drinking...I haven't let my regime slip!
can't golf, can't play tennis, but hopefully Scotland will allow this soon. Also annoyed that we have a sailing boat to refurb at the Men's Shed, the weather has been perfect for that, and not a screwdriver lifted yet, so very frustrating.
Sometimes I amuse myself by posting long and uninteresting stuff on an online forum too...

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I've been messing with Visio.
Looking at Youtube as to how to do things. Most of it is pretty basic but there are not a lot of advanced vids on the subject.
Also, someone should do a vid on Youtube about using this for doing plans showing the electrics in a house. I can't find one.... Might come in useful as people on here have asked about software to use.. We could then plug the vid.

Been looking at EPLAN as well.

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
Wow, again! That's exactly the same one as we have at the Men's Shed, and which we have refurbished...indeed it was the rear terminal block of that i put up pics of a few weeks back (and got ridiculed for my label!) Great machine, and spares and accessories still available. We bought some new...erm...chucks? for it, don't really know what they do exactly, and they were expensive, but that machine is built to last!

marconi

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
1. How to use Zoom for one to one and one to many - brilliant software.

2. Still lemonade from real lemons, sugar and boiling water - only takes 5 minutes and then chilled in fridge. Good Housekeeping recipe.

3. How to post a picture to google and then link to it in a post ( - a workaround because the EF have employed the same folk to fix the attach image problem that HMG used to procure PPE for the NHS!)

4. How to sketch on-line using 3D paint software.

5. Most parts of the human body in French - one never knows - someday it could come in handy to know one's ar.e (- la fesse = buttock) from one's elbow (- le coude).

6. the names of more neighbours thanks to the VE street party.

Last edited:

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Good luck with the plaster mate.....I’ve got 3 jobs now held up due to no multi finish nationwide, have you seen the price of it on eBay 😩.....are the worktops in situ or can you take them out to refurb?
I have a plasterer who has supplies in hand.

I'd rather keep the tops in situ but can remove the sink and hob to make it easier.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
If they’re kitchen work tops, mull over whether you’re prepared to do the regular maintenance to keep them looking good. Been there once and subsequent kitchen refurbs we’ve steered clear of wood. :)
They are existing tops in a kitchen which will get completely replaced within 5 years so I'm not too fussed about them being pristine all the time. Just need to get rid of stains and replace the finish to make them serviceable.
Been looking at hard wax oils which apparently don't need as much regular attention as standard oil finishes.

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
hey are existing tops in a kitchen which will get completely replaced within 5 years so I'm not too fussed about them being pristine all the time. Just need to get rid of stains and replace the finish to make them serviceable.
Been looking at hard wax oils which apparently don't need as much regular attention as standard oil finishes
How to care for a wooden worktop

1. Do the water test. Test oiled worktops to see if they need re-oiling by dripping water onto their surface. ...
  2. Sand them down. Use a hand-held electric sander to resurface the wood and remove any varnish, or simply to refresh previously oiled worktops.
  3. Apply the oil. ...
  4. Leave it to dry. ...
  5. Test them again. ...
  6. Protect them from heat. …
    it puzzles me when people put a dark stain on the work tops when you should show the beauty for the wood .

FatAlan

-
Trainee
They are existing tops in a kitchen which will get completely replaced within 5 years so I'm not too fussed about them being pristine all the time. Just need to get rid of stains and replace the finish to make them serviceable.
Been looking at hard wax oils which apparently don't need as much regular attention as standard oil finishes.
I say that .. whilst actually having no say in our kitchen design ;) My wife did get quite good at stripping back and applying fresh Danish Oil ...,, to the kitchen work top that is!;)

Julie.

Arms
Esteemed
You're the first person to spot that... Now sporting a keyless chuck so no key to worry about...
During the early days of my apprenticeship the machineshop foreman would go around and wack everyone on the head even if you left the chuck key in for just one second!

He had a fantastic sense of being able to be there just when you made any mistake whatsoever!

Sort of spot things like that from a mile away since then.

Guess it worked!

(he always had a real story for every mistake, from chuck keys, through cleaning swarf on a mill, to long hair pulling the operator's head into the machinery! - It was the 70's)

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
During the early days of my apprenticeship the machineshop foreman would go around and wack everyone on the head even if you left the chuck key in for just one second!

He had a fantastic sense of being able to be there just when you made any mistake whatsoever!

Sort of spot things like that from a mile away since then.

Guess it worked!

(he always had a real story for every mistake, from chuck keys, through cleaning swarf on a mill, to long hair pulling the operator's head into the machinery! - It was the 70's)
Learnt the lesson about chuck keys in school as one flew past my head and embedded in a wall, wasn't my machine but my mate one bay down...

Julie.

Arms
Esteemed
Learnt the lesson about chuck keys in school as one flew past my head and embedded in a wall, wasn't my machine but my mate one bay down...
Never actually seen it happen, but the foreman's story went along a similar vein, but involved more blood and gore to someone on the other side of the workshop!

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Had the same talk at high school, when they used to let kids loose on the power tools.
Just after a half hour safety talk, which included leaving chuck keys in the chuck....
2 minutes later.... "Wheeeeeeeee....... ding!"

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Had the same talk at high school, when they used to let kids loose on the power tools.
Just after a half hour safety talk, which included leaving chuck keys in the chuck....
2 minutes later.... "Wheeeeeeeee....... ding!"
Some School that was then?

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
Never actually seen it happen, but the foreman's story went along a similar vein, but involved more blood and gore to someone on the other side of the workshop!
My father in law spent over 50 years in machine engineering and he has some proper horror stories.

Julie.

Arms
Esteemed
My father in law spent over 50 years in machine engineering and he has some proper horror stories.
Yeah, machinery in engineering shops is very unforgiving!

Everyone I know that spent any time working in one has some injuries from it - far more likely than out on site!

Changing now I think, everything has guards, or is cnc so you tend not to learn the hard way!

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I've just about finished restoring my little 1981 Honda CB250RS , progress had been very slow with being so busy with work, but that problem was taken away from me for a while. :) There are a few bits still to do but she's running lovely and great fun to ride.SAM_0216.JPGSAM_0217.JPG

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Thanks folks, I only took a couple of 'before' pictures but it's certainly improved since then - I think. :grinning:
I've added a couple more 'after' pictures too , I usually ride a 1000cc bike but had a 250RS when I was 18, I'm reliving my youth and it's great. :grinning:

Attachments

Last edited:

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
i'dlove to do something like that as a project, but with a 1950's Briish classice like a Vincent, Norton , AJS or Triumph.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Today so far I have been doing some forestry outside by my boundary fence.

Hovering, polishing the tables etc in the Lounge, moving sofas in my lounge, oh and getting told off by Her in Doors, for banging the Vac about or Oleg as She calls it, yes before you ask She has named the Vac "Oleg"

Having a slanging match with the Snowflake next door, turns out he is a Copper, so best not upset him to much.

Thank goodness the Sun will soon be over the Yard Arm.

Last edited:

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Today so far I have been doing some forestry outside by my boundary fence.

Hovering, polishing the tables etc in the Lounge, moving sofas in my lounge, oh and getting told off by Her in Doors, for banging the Vac about or Oleg as She calls it, yes before you ask She has named the Vac "Oleg"

Having a slanging match with the Snowflake next door, turns out he is a Copper, so best not upset him to much.

Thank goodness the Sun will soon be over the Yard Arm.
What did the snowflake object to? You hacking away at a peaceful tree?

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
I've been looking on facebook at this "25 day challenge" Not sure myself the point of it... 25 push ups in 25 days. The only two friends on my fb feed are both ex army... so its not real a challenge for them.

On the 6th of june, i decided to do 25 days... and build up to 25 push ups.... 25 days from then will be my 46th birthday.
I'm stuck at 15.

I am also helping our NHS and police by NOT demonstrating, trashing statues, burning cars and looting shops in the middle of a global pandemic when we should be AVOIDING LARGE CROWDS OF PEOPLE!

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
I’ve been working mostly. Then eating and drinking too much. Need to go on a diet, when this thing is over. But as there’s not much else to go do and see, I’ll just carry on eating and drinking. This my favourite;

View attachment IMG_0595.MP4

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
Lightweight!
three words...
Post automatically merged:

I've also learned that some folks seem to be able to source 4-way Wagos...in the DIY forum, but as I don't have access, i can't ask them where they get them...

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I've also learned that some folks seem to be able to source 4-way Wagos...in the DIY forum, but as I don't have access, i can't ask them where they get them...
Not everyone has assess to the DIY forum mate. I don't as well.
Ask one of the mods if you can have access.

Have a look at CPC for the Wago connectors, they have a variety.

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
Thanks, Spoon...I was being a bit tongue in cheek, as wagos usually come in 2-way, 3-way and 5-way...
I have huge box of 'em...but not 4-way...I just pigtail if i need more ways!

As a complete aside, I have just trialled the Linian T&E fire clips, and they are brilliant!

Last edited:

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
I wouldn’t worry about any 4 way WAGOs.... that particular thread started off with a picture of live, neutral and earth bunged into a 3 way and the op wondering why his lights don’t work.

pc1966

Arms
Esteemed
nah, i want something 500cc. or above.
A mate of mine had a big bike, think it was 750cc or so, but then when it toppled one day he could not right it on his own. Oh how we laughed :)

I have huge box of 'em...but not 4-way...I just pigtail if i need more ways!
I find it a shame that the 8-way are only for the solid conductors (push-in) as there are a few times when that is useful and would be handy in clip style for stranded conductors.

UNG

-
Mentor
Arms
it will take a month for any plaster manufacturs full swing to be made and sent out ,the housing complex's will be the first port of call.
That sounds optimistic a couple of plasterers I know seem to think it will be late August or even into September before the merchants get plaster back in stock

KennyKen

-
Arms
Esteemed
Well the Oil Prices have taken a nose dive and 3 offshore platforms got the plug, quite literally. So a certain American Oil & Gas company decided to cut 85% of its labour. So while on stand down I decided to start my own company. Although, here in the not so lucky country you have to jump through numerous hurdles to obtain your Contractors licence. And that’s what I’ll be doing this week. Going over Regs.... more Regs.... and try complete my website.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Well the Oil Prices have taken a nose dive and 3 offshore platforms got the plug, quite literally. So a certain American Oil & Gas company decided to cut 85% of its labour. So while on stand down I decided to start my own company. Although, here in the not so lucky country you have to jump through numerous hurdles to obtain your Contractors licence. And that’s what I’ll be doing this week. Going over Regs.... more Regs.... and try complete my website.
Good luck then Mate

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
I have learned that I need to be more specific. 4-way Wagos exist as do 6 and 8 way, but baddegg was right , I was thinking of lever ones.
The 8-way can be used as push-in if you ferrule the stranded cables...which is a faff, tbh, but as I have nowt else to do I have been brushing up on my ferrules and RJ45 terminations...and i have also been practising my other DIY skills, so have new wine racks, and they look good...good enough to drink!
I wouldn't recommend ferrules in push-in Wagos, btw...my crimpers don't give the right shape...ok for comms, but not as good as jellies

I spent hours and hours watching and learning how to test and now at a stage of able to test but always that little doubt and would be great to spend an hour or so with someone to confirm I'm doing things correctly but cant find anyone 🙄.
Other than that finally cleared my garage after 20yrs and 6 tip runs, lots of decorating and quenetic lighting to garden and impressed with performance etc, and just endless jobs around the house and garden oh and whole new brake lines to van so quite productive 👍

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
that should nothave been on the post. it was copied and pasted into an email. how it got into the post, gawd knows.

Instyle LED Lighting Specialists UK

Reply to What have you done or learnt during lockdown in the COViD-19 / Coronavirus Community Help Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom