Discuss What precisely is required to self certify domestic installations? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tek2k

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I have scoured lots of different forums and postings but for some reason cannot find a simple step by step guide to what is need for self certifying a domestic installation. I am not planning to become a full time electrician. What I want to do is wire up a consumer unit install lighting circuits etc and then issue a certificate.

Please tell me if I am missing something here:

Step 1: Do a VRQ Level 2 course which makes you "a competent installer"
Step 2: Do City & Guilds 2382 17th Edition course and exam.
Step 3: Register with a body such as NAPIT so that you can self-certify work

Now I understand with these schemes such as NAPIT or NICEIC they need to inspect 2 installations that you have done before you are properly joined but how can you do an installation in the first place if you cannot self-certify?

Of course I know that these short courses cannot compare to getting years of experience as an apprentice but to me domestic is not overly complex.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

hiya, a competent person isn't someone who has qualifications, its someone who has the experience and has sound knowledge of electrics. some of the body schemes have different requirements, such as needing 2391, or an eal domestic installers scheme etc, i think niceic need you to me trading for 6 months before approving you, not too sure.

You want to look at all the schemes and see which one suits you. Getting 17th edition would be a good step. see what others say

Hi Ok, the VRQ is the EAL Domestic Electrical installers qual.

I believe its the 'self certifying' bit you may be misunderstanding.

Basically, if you do the VRQ, you are qualified to design, install, test and certify your own work in a domestic premises.

Whether or not you join a Competent Persons scheme such as NICEIC or NAPIT doesnt change the actual job you are doing.

All that happens is, when qualified, you must pre-notify all notifiable work to the Local Authority Building Control (LABC) prior to starting the work, and pay a fee. On completion of the work you will submit a copy of your BS7671 certificates to the LABC. They will then decide what action needs to be taken, such as further inspecting of the work, or they must just issue the building completion certificate to the houlseholder.

Depending on the complexity of the work, they may decide to do a 'pre-plaster' check of the installation. This is how you will work when you start out. When you join a competent persons scheme, you dont pre-notify, and simply tell the scheme operator (by sending them a copy of your certs) for each job you do.

THEY tell the LABC you have done the job, and THEY issue the building completion certificate. So basically, you are saving time and money, but the ACTUAL JOB you are doing doesnt change.

There is nothing to stop you doing the work without qualifying, but the LABC are unlikely to accept your certs if you have no quals to back them up. Prior to Dec 07, most of the schemes required you to have 'in-depth' knowledge of BS7671, and to attain the qual within 12 months I'm pretty sure that NICEIC (dont know about the others), from Jan 08 now require you to hold a BS7671 qual prior to joining.

I teach the VRQ and 16/17th edition as straight 2 week package, because you cant really have the VRQ by itself Its better to get 2391 as well, because it increases the scope of work you can do.

Any more info you want, happy to oblige

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent,

Thank you very much for your replies. I guess the first thing to do is to get my VRQ and continue from there. I must say it is a shame all these regulations are so messy but thats what happens with anything the government does...
:cool:

So when do you want to do the VRQ, I got a few places coming up, but they go fast...........book now to avoid dissapointment etc etc

quicker you start learning, quicker you start earning.....

Where abouts are you based Tony as I am in London... and what is the cost of the course?

I am in Cardiff just off the M4

EAL DEI (VRQ) is £995 and 2382 17th edition is £495.

This is a straight two week package and we have deals with local guest houses etc for accomodation

We do the VRQ in its proper time of just on 7 days.

Some providers reduce it to 5.

Depends if you want to be TRAINED or gr just get the ticket!!!!!:cool:

tony, will the eal domestic installs Q ever go out of date in months to come, it sounds stupid but I have the qualification, but didn't actually realise that I am :confused: " qualified to design, install, test and certify your own work in a domestic premises"

how stupid to forget such a Qualification that I paid quite a bit of cash to do the course for.

Luke,

If you had done it with me, you would have had it drummed into you....... what did you think you were on the course for!!!!!!:D

And no it wont go out of date.

The VRQ will be updated for the 17th sure enough, but assuming you have your 16th edition (please tell me you have!) then when you do your 17th edition update, then thats all the update you will need, in the same way that the 2391 qual does not need uodating for people that already hold it

tony ive got a quick question for you if you dont mind...ive got 2330 level 2 and 3 and got the 17th and im really stuck as to what to do next?i dont work in the trade but am looking for an improver role as we speak.is the VRQ a logical next step? college told me to do the test and inspect course but im unsure as i dont want to have all these certs and never really done much actual work outide of college. any guidance would be awesome. thanks james

Jamesg... I think giving the age of the original post maybe he has his answers now bud

- - - Updated - - -

Tony im affraid will not be answering your question as he is no longer a member

haha dya know i was wondering how old this post was while replying. where does it tell you? can you answer my question?

If you have not had any joy getting a job then id suggest getting your 2391 (Or now eqiverlant which i believe is 2394 2395) this will make you more appealing to employers.. However its a funny market at the mo and people are getting more for there cash. Good luck

Reply to What precisely is required to self certify domestic installations? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock