Discuss Where can get a 20 watt round led driver with a 12v output ? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Forum people. First time post here.

I have a pair of semi flush fittings that are currently 10 Halogen capsules per fitting. I want to convert these to LED at 2 watts per capsule. Space is a very limiting factor. Each fitting currently has a round transformer inside. I only have an 80mm diameter space to fit one in but if I go for a round one as soon as I opt for 20 watts the only options I can find are drivers with an output voltage of 21 volts upwards ! The led's wont run off the original transformer, thought I'd give it a go but they go mental !

No problem finding a rectangular driver but they physically wont fit, I did consider fitting a pair in there stacked on top of each other but don't have the depth in each fitting for two.

The missus doesn't want me to bin em out for new ones either so I'm gonna have to try at least to get this sorted.

Any ideas folks ?

WHAT !!! There is such a thing ?

I thought (stupid assumption here), that all LED G4 lamps were 12 volt only. Never occurred to me that there's a 240 volt option. Much to learn about LED lighting eh !
Thankyou for your reply. Nice 'n' easy solution. Cheers.

Could you make do with 230V led capsules as a direct replacement for the halogens? No driver needed...

I thought (stupid assumption here), that all LED G4 lamps were 12 volt only. Never occurred to me that there's a 240 volt option. Much to learn about LED lighting eh !

Could you make do with 230V led capsules as a direct replacement for the halogens? No driver needed...

No, that would be incredibly dangerous!

The fitting has been designed and manufactured with a 12V transformer feeding 12V lamps. The internal wiring is unlikely to be rated for 240V and the lampholders definately will not be safe to use at 240V.

Please don't convert your 12V light fitting to 240V, this carries significant risks and could result in a fire or (potentially fatal) electric shock.

Hi. I hang my head in shame and hang up my tool bag. I must have had a brain fart or something...🤦
My apologies for suggesting using 230V capsules in a fitting not designed for 230V.

No, that would be incredibly dangerous!

The fitting has been designed and manufactured with a 12V transformer feeding 12V lamps. The internal wiring is unlikely to be rated for 240V and the lampholders definately will not be safe to use at 240V.
Thankyou l had considered this too. How very dangerous this would become ! Back to square one, the search continues.

I expect that the drivers you have been looking at are constant CURRENT?
You need constant VOLTAGE.

I have seen 24v GU4 LED capsules
so you could use those with this round 24v LED driver
Where can get a 20 watt round led driver with a 12v output ? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

EDIT
AcTEC do a 12volt version that may fit, then you could use your existing 12v GU4 capsules...

CLICK ME

Last edited:
I expect that the drivers you have been looking at are constant CURRENT?
You need constant VOLTAGE.

I have seen 24v GU4 LED capsules
so you could use those with this round 24v LED driver
Where can get a 20 watt round led driver with a 12v output ? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

EDIT
AcTEC do a 12volt version that may fit, then you could use your existing 12v GU4 capsules...

CLICK ME
Thanks for your reply, however, this is evidence of the problem I'm having. Its either 12 volts but the wattage isn't high enough or if I want to up the wattage to at least 20 watts, then for some reason the output voltage goes up to 24 volts !!!, or more.
Just can't seem to find a 20 watt 12 volt one that's round or small enough to fit my fitting. Cheers anyway. The hunt continues..........

Hi. I hang my head in shame and hang up my tool bag. I must have had a brain fart or something...🤦
My apologies for suggesting using 230V capsules in a fitting not designed for 230V.
No worries this end, I got caught up in the moment, thinking, wow ! you've given me an easy solution. Then I stopped and thought about it (as you do) and I thought , Hmmm, hang on a minute. I know the thought was there, cheers.

Howz about this one:
A bit expensive but a quality item and would do the job, assuming depth of 24.5mm is not too tall!
Where can get a 20 watt round led driver with a 12v output ? AA394A89-44C4-4925-891C-3BE1457FD184 - EletriciansForums.net
Or here's a possible cheaper option, if you could separate the wiring into two groups of lights, you could fit two of these, each driving half the bulbs, but I'm a bit wary of the suitability of the current rating for continuous use, the actual o/p voltage tolerance, and possible safety implications:

Last edited:
Howz about this one:
A bit expensive but a quality item and would do the job, assuming depth of 24.5mm is not too tall!
View attachment 106288
Or here's a possible cheaper option, if you could separate the wiring into two groups of lights, you could fit two of these, each driving half the bulbs, but I'm a bit wary of the suitability of the current rating for continuous use, the actual o/p voltage tolerance, and possible safety implications:
Thankyou for these, It's time to have a chat with the missus methinks. Nearly 40 quid is more than the light fittings are worth. Even she wont go for that ! The cheaper option comes really close though but at 18 Watts, they're just not gonna do it. From what I can glean from the net the wattage should be marginally greater or equal to the demand.

The cheaper option comes really close though but at 18 Watts, they're just not gonna do it.
You get 3 of the little 18watt PSU's for your single purchase costing £7.50!
I intended to mean you put at least two of those supplies in each light fitting (ie giving you 36W of power) wiring each supply to roughly one half of the lamps in each fitting.
You would need to make two purchases (£15) and you would have 2 PSU's left over.
But if the wiring does not allow you to split the load like that, then obviously this is a non starter.
Sorry I wasn't clear!
From what I can glean from the net the wattage should be marginally greater or equal to the demand.
Yes absolutely correct!

Reply to Where can get a 20 watt round led driver with a 12v output ? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock