Discuss where is battery located please, emergency lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gordon30

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, this emergency light does not come on when power is cut. There is a red light on when house has power, indicating power to the unit. The bulb works fine. I thought the battery may need changed. It has not been changed for a long time.

How ever I can't see where the battery is. Is it located under the white board held on with 3 screws?

Thanks,
Gordon

Thanks87503692_2607951962779486_7409360700667068416_n.jpg

It is likely to be behind the white gear tray. The battery is on permanent charge whilst the mains power is on, if it does not operate under mains failure the most cost effective thing to do is completely replace the fitting.

It is likely to be behind the white gear tray. The battery is on permanent charge whilst the mains power is on, if it does not operate under mains failure the most cost effective thing to do is completely replace the fitting.
thanks, I had thought I'd be cheaper replacing the battery only as opposed to whole unit?

There is no guarantee it is the battery. The red LED charge indicator suggests it of some age, they are now green. Just replace the whole thing.

okay.

We have two new ones that are green, when off there is a green light. They are approx 2 years old. When power goes off one lights up properly the other remains off. I thought the batteries had a 4 year shelf life. I assume in this case best to change the bettery in the one not lighting up when power cut? Thanks for your help.

it's a crappy cfl fitting anyway, so replace with LED
These ones are LED and say battery good for 4 years. So think this must need the bulb replacing.
[automerge]1582835271[/automerge]
These ones are LED and say battery good for 4 years. So think this must need the bulb replacing.
Sorry mean battery replacing, bulb is good

Attachments

• green light.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 7
If an led fitting has failed again it is more cost effective to totally replace it.

That depends on the cost of the fitting, just because it is LED it doesn't necessarily mean it is a cheap fitting.

Plus replacing a whole fitting when only a battery is required is unnecessarily wasteful.

That depends on the cost of the fitting, just because it is LED it doesn't necessarily mean it is a cheap fitting.

Plus replacing a whole fitting when only a battery is required is unnecessarily wasteful.
I agree and aesthetics may demand a repair but his picture shows a standard light fitting picked up for little cost from most wholesalers.

Reply to where is battery located please, emergency lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net