Discuss Why no light with 120volts present? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Ceiling closet light blew out. Checked bulb. Bulb good. Have 120v leaving light switch. Removed fixture. Have 120v at wires in ceiling when switch is on. When switch is off shows like 2 or 3 volts. Replaced fixture 3 times. No light!! Still have 120volts. If the breaker in the panel is going bad would it still have 120volts at ceiling? My thinking is if there is power than i should have light. Or is turning the switch on enough to draw away from the breaker and lose the voltage?? Please assist. Thanks in advance.

What are you using to measure the voltage and where are you taking the measurement?

Are you measuring the voltage with the bulb fitted or removed?

How did you check that the bulb is working?

What are you using to measure the voltage and where are you taking the measurement?

Are you measuring the voltage with the bulb fitted or removed?

How did you check that the bulb is working?
Im using a klein multimeter to test voltage. Tried the bulb in another lamp before i used it to make sure it works. And im testing the actual black and white wires coming from the switch.

I did. I tested the wires coming out of the ceiling. I removed the fixture and tested those wires. When switch is off i have no volts. When switch is on i have 120volts. When i connect light fixture the same thing happens. I get 120volts when switch is on. But no light. Its so strange. I even tried using just a basic lamp base. 1 brass screw and 1 silver screw. Connected black wire to brass and white wire to silver. I put in a normal working bulb and turned on the switch. No light.

Reply to Why no light with 120volts present? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock