Discuss Wireless fire alarm systems in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ASHCOLE

Hi guys,

I'm after a little help. We have been asked to quote for installing a wireless fire alarm system in a large residential home. They need around 100 devices in total.

Question one: Can anybody recommend any decent make/suppliers of the wireless equipment?

Question two: How would you normally quote for this, eg price per point? I have absolutely no idea how long it will take as we have never had to deal with wireless kit before.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Ash

the equipment is expensive, but the installation time is cut to a day or 2 days. cooper fire do wireless kit, and there are several other supplliers. expect to pay around £100+ per detector and around £300+ for a panel.

Yeah, been looking into it, £150 odd for a detector and £500 for a panel. Plus we will need 7 transmitters. They have already had 2 quotes so they have a rough idea of cost. The companies we are up against only do fire. We don't do much of it so its difficult for us to quote.

think they're a different BS tha 5839, most fire brigands will accept wireles, but it's best to check with local fire chief before proceeding.

We work for alot of south east homes and I can see you pricing yourself out of the Quote using a wireless system. The on going costs to replace batteries will also be a factor. 100 points is not a large amount for a residential home, personally I would be looking at addressable system. There will be other areas you will need to interface into the new system, such as door control and gas shutdown.

Well if its got to be wireless EMS is a good choice, tech support is very good and system does work well, but still feel a fit and maintain free for 10 years addressable system is the answer...who love to see a specification for this project. if its a listed building i can see the reason for wireless, if not very expensive way to install

Hi tazz, they have requested an analogue addressable wireless system because the building is listed. They have already had a survey and 2 quotes, think we are the third company to quote for the job. It would be an absolute nightmare to install a wired system, its a massive place with original decor, polished floor boards and ceiling roses etc. It's 102 devices over 3 floors, they also want 53 wireless door closers which look to be £250 a pop. Have you used these before? If so, where would you recommend getting them from?

Hi Ashcole, with a project such as this a radio survey would need to be done before installation, this will detect blind spots and areas out of range, will save time on hit and miss later with repeaters.
EMS will sell via the website direct to the installer. But would suggest you contact there sales as a project such as this will be of interest to them and you are looking for some discount. They will usually help out with renting and sales of radio test equipment. EMS dont really sell to wholesellers, but will help with survey and commissioning if needed. Hope this helps and good luck with your project.
PS if they need a wireless Nursecall system, ARMS Nursecall will help you out there.

as far as i belive ems will do the site survey,prog and label all the devices then send them to you,all you have to do is fit it,thats on condition you buy all the gear from them of course.but if its specced for wireless id imagine others will be going ems too,as tazz says give ems a ring,there a quality company and very helpfull

Well hope we have all help you out here, thats what the forum is all abaut, like to make the point that we rely on the sparks for their installation experience as they do on our design, cad and calculation experience, its a a good co-operative please keep us informed on your progress with this project...would be interesting to hear

Reply to Wireless fire alarm systems in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net