Discuss Wiring Advice for Garage RCD Needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It is absolutely a geniune post. I have also noticed a couple of fundamental issues with the wiring (which admittedly was done in a rush) Notifiable even if it swapping like for like units? It will still be PAT tested and certified but wasnt aware that i had to notify anyone.

Awesome thanks for the advice. Once it was cabled up i was going to have a sparky test it. If no-one on this forum is going to give me the advice I need then I will obtain it elsewhere. Rest assured i wont be cabling it up until I am 100% sure it's correct.
1shortcct, i dont usually sit on forums as i generally have much better things to do with my time.
APelectrical - your right...your bad.

Frankie hope you dont take it to heart, but the information you require is out there ie in the box - google etc... if you come on a forum with pictures like that what do you expect.

It is absolutely a geniune post. I have also noticed a couple of fundamental issues with the wiring (which admittedly was done in a rush) Notifiable even if it swapping like for like units? It will still be PAT tested and certified but wasnt aware that i had to notify anyone.

Right well seeing this post I absolutely believe it's genuine. Why do I now think that? because Part P of the Building regulations is scarcely known amongst the public so it is not your fault for not knowing this.

The work you are doing in your eyes is like for like but it is not. You are changing many of the characteristics of that part of the installation.

I can tell you something else about that picture too. IF you only have a 2.5mm cable going to your socket then that 32A breaker that you have drawn lines to could potentially create a fire hazard.

We can sit here all night and discuss what's wrong with it but you really do need to stop. Whoever you get in to complete this work for you still needs to go through the appropriate channels of informing the LABC. If you do not do this and there comes a time where you want to sell your house then you're going to end up shelling out money on reports because it will be a requirement requested by the solicitors.

Agreed that my picture was rough. I was trying to get it done quickly due to the time of night. the rcd came with no instructions which is obviously because its usually qualified sparkys that install them. I will continue to read up on the fundamentals and see if i can figure it out whilst waiting for one of my mates to do it. I was just looking for a quick answer.

Dillb...its called the sun and i hope it stays for a while yet ;)
1shortcircuit -" if i had just 1 wrong then maybe...." lmao. I wonder why someone that knew exactly what they were doing would be posting on a forum.
[h=3]forumsplural of fo·rum (Noun)[/h]
Noun:

1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
  2. An Internet message board.

It's not like for like, for a start this unit has RCD protection and diffident over-current protection devices. You need to ascertain that the original cabling will allow the MCB's to operate within the specified time frames.

A neutral to earth fault will not blow a fuse or MCB but it will immediately trip an RCD, hence the reason for testing first. Also what devce is protecting the incoming cable on the supply side? If there's and RCD/RCBO then there will be discrimination issues.

It looks to be a simple enough job which a decent spark shouldn't charge too much for, you will also satisfy the legal requirements and also your insurance company would be more likely to pay out on any future claims if anything unforeseen should happen.

Don't worry about the natives, it's late and they're tired... :lol:

Well i dont know where to start.... The government decided that too many people were getting killed by something as innocent as a couple of wires and a bit of volts. So our representatives in parliament brought in a law to try and curb the carnage.
Although very poorly managed, its intentions were more than honerable.

I would say that you are at the forefront of what the laws, that exist, are trying to prevent.

So your first post on a forum like this is to post up an illegal activity which will blow up in your face (and more in-conveniently) put your house in darkness and scare your neighbours.

What do you really expect from this forum ?

Simply put....if the gear wasn't available for joe public to buy then threads like these wouldn't surface so often.

Many things were wrong with the pic (eg the copper bar (busbar) goes across the spare holes at the bottom to name one) but i blame the powers that be for a half a$$ed attempt at electrical safety (anyone can buy electrical gear) more than the OP tbh.

Strima - thanks for the advice.
plugsandsparks: Its ok, don't start. Hold that thought and just keep it too yourself. But keep up the good work and rest assured whatever you post next wont be read as by the time u read this i have signed out and taken the couple of good bits of advice with me and already forgotten everything else.
Oh and I already posted what the definition of a forum is, thats what i was expecting but clearly thats 2 things i have wrong tonight. At least now i am more knowledgeable.

Don't worry about the natives, it's late and they're tired...

...... and the cauldron is on the boil, I've just had a skin full, the kebab house is closed and I'm looking for something to eat ! :punk:

But keep up the good work and rest assured whatever you post next wont be read as by the time u read this i have signed out and taken the couple of good bits of advice with me and already forgotten everything else.

Looks like Frankie goes to Hollywood then ?

Quite frankly the OP has asked a question....Why?...because he's not sure. Unlike many threads on here he's not claiming to be a 'qualified electrician' and then posting a muppet question.
And unlike most on here I dont have a problem with DIY and materials being available to all.....most who do are a bunch of hypocites in my experience,it comes down to a 'not in my back yard' mentality.
All the OP needed telling was that he is out of his depth,and the dangers and legality of what he is doing. There was no need for the abuse and sarcasm, with the notable exception of 1shortcircuits input and a few others , reading through this thread I'm almost ashamed to be associated with this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an after note.
In case your query is genuine.

I assume that you only hvae one piece of 2.5mm² cable going to your socket? If so that 32amp MCB is not the correct one. It can not be more than 20amp.

I suggest you take the whole thing back to where you bought it and have a registered electrician supply, install, test, certify and notify the correct materials.

Quite frankly the OP has asked a question....Why?...because he's not sure. Unlike many threads on here he's not claiming to be a 'qualified electrician' and then posting a muppet question.
And unlike most on here I dont have a problem with DIY and materials being available to all.....most who do are a bunch of hypocites in my experience,it comes down to a 'not in my back yard' mentality.
All the OP needed telling was that he is out of his depth,and the dangers and legality of what he is doing. There was no need for the abuse and sarcasm, with the notable exception of 1shortcircuits input and a few others , reading through this thread I'm almost ashamed to be associated with this forum.

The guy didn't help himself did he, and why are you almost ashamed of other peoples views on this forum, I dont come on here to conform with everyone else's opinion, theres not many forums where people don't get jabbed for posting silly questions electrical or not.

Never really understood why BG put the 32A in a garage unit, rather than a 16A. I rarely come across garages wired with an RFC.

Nail on head.

Some of the comments I've been reading have made me cringe a bit and I think it's worth remembering that the "Big Orange Sheds" don't just sell electrical stuff to DIYers ... they also sell them plumbing stuff too, and I wonder how many sparks have bought some bits of pipe & fittings from there & attempted to install a bathroom suite, kitchen sink or an extra central heating radiator for themselves without really knowing what they are doing.

but you're not generally liable to kill yourself getting a leaky joint in a bath tap

I think that the only thing you can really liken electrical work to is gas. I realise that as a % of the population, not many people are electrocuted, particularly with the introduction of RCD's, but there are a great many electrical fires each and every year. We have become very complacent as a nation regarding the dangers of incorrect or poor electrical work, so it's no wonder many people think that it's simply a matter of wacking a few wires in and if it works "job's a goodun".

Totaly agree some of the comments where more than alittle sharp and out of order.

The main problem with the original pic was the busbar connection as it was drawn connected over the L & N of the RCD (although it was drawn in blue OP did state it was the busbar and not neutral cables).

Regarding the big orange shed etc, i still (and always will) have issue's with them being allowed to sell equipment to the DIYer encourageing them to play around with the most dangerous thing we use every day. I also have issue's with them selling plumbing gear in truth (and yes i have bought from there on a sunday when wholesalers are shut making me a hypocrit)..........Try and buy a gas fitting in there though and your stuffed as they dont sell them (last time i checked) due to safety issue's...go figure.

Reply to Wiring Advice for Garage RCD Needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock