Search the forum,

Discuss Wylex wooden back db in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

get one of those aldi blow;lamps dave
sprincle copper fileings--
iron brass flour dust
providing dry
fireworks contain different ferrous and other particals try to set fire to wire wool to

Calcium hydroxide Ca(HO)[SUB]2[/SUB] is used to suppress coal dust flash fires. Ca(HO)[SUB]2 [/SUB]is itself a fine powder that when dropped in to the path of a flash fire impedes the progress of the advancing flame thereby quenching it.

I only spent 23 years making the bloody stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
One has to wonder how many severe fires related to consumer units are actually caused by the amount of crap people pile up either around or below them,I bet that if it wasn't for the stuff people pile near them then a lot of potential fires would just end up with a bit of smoke and some melted plastic.Lets be honest unless a CU is mounted in a hallway or some similar location it's nearly always impossible to get straight at it without having to move a pile of boxes or old clothes and such like.

Calcium hydroxide Ca(HO)[SUB]2[/SUB] is used to suppress coal dust flash fires. Ca(HO)[SUB]2 [/SUB]is itself a fine powder that when dropped in to the path of a flash fire impedes the progress of the advancing flame thereby quenching it.

I only spent 23 years making the bloody stuff!
Logically from a chemical point of view Ca(OH)[SUB]2[/SUB] (subscript not superscript by Tel) when heated will disassociate into CaO (calcium oxide) and water (H[SUB]2[/SUB]0), this process requires energy and will tend to take heat from the fire and the water cannot harm either.
The use of the product as a dust (as with all dusts) increases the surface area to a huge extent and greatly promotes the ease of reaction of the material with oxygen, this is why dusts tend to burn (or explode if at the right concentration) much more easily than the solid counterparts.

can't do them subscripts.can only do the supers , as in squared.

One of the tests we did for Ca(HO)[SUB]2[/SUB] was it’s SSA (specific surface area) which like any powder was extremely high for a given mass.
To make the constituent lime CaO, pulverised coal is used as the fuel, again tested for SSA (along with a lot of other things) as it has a direct bearing on its volatility.
Volatile! Believe me it’s downright bloody dangerous. I’ve had eight explosions in one night, but the plant was designed to contain it.

Two plants side by side, one with flammable dust, the other inflammable.

Reply to Wylex wooden back db in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock