Discuss Yeah, Another NICEIC assesment question in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
Ive decided to dance with the devil and have signed up with the NIC. I have my inspections comming up and have a couple of questions.

1.Regarding safe isolation, i know the procedure but i dont have a proving unit. Now, when showing my inspector the cu ive changed is it ok to isolate, remove cover, test on meter side of switch, test circuits dead, test on meter side of switch again?
Also, would he fail me for not having locked off the main switch. Ive been trying to get hold of some lockoffs locally, none of my wholesalers have any and say there isnt the call for them!
2.My other nominated job is some extra sockets in a customers kitchen. This work was carried out over 8 weeks ago and now they are part way through having a new kitchen installed. They wont have the splashbacks re-tiled before the inspection so i imagine round the sockets is going to look a bit dog rough. How do i stand on this one? (im going round the day before to check things out).

Cheers for your time.

Ive decided to dance with the devil and have signed up with the NIC. I have my inspections comming up and have a couple of questions.

Dont listen to all the bad thing some peeps spout about the NICEIC, to date I've not had a problem with them. Good luck with the assessment.

1.Regarding safe isolation, i know the procedure but i dont have a proving unit.
Not an essential item, but does show you are kitted out better than others.

Now, when showing my inspector the cu ive changed is it ok to isolate, remove cover, test on meter side of switch, test circuits dead, test on meter side of switch again?
Absolutely so long as you isolate first. I always make a point of informing customer that power is going off & ask about any pc that may be on, assessor liked that & did comment on it at the end of assessment.

Also, would he fail me for not having locked off the main switch.
No so long as you show safe isolation he will be ok with it, but if you move away from the cu make sure you put the cover back on & hang a notice "electrician at work" type of thing (remember "lock out tag out" it's the NICEIC in quote at the moment).
I've got a laminated A4 sign (done on word) with space to fill in using a china graph pencil date & time + mobile phone contact number.

Ive been trying to get hold of some lockoffs locally, none of my wholesalers have any and say there isnt the call for them!

I got my lock off from here
Safety lockout tagout systems for locking MCB circuit breakers

Hope that helps

Cheers for the response. Which locks are of more use, pin out or pin in. or is it wise to get both?

Still worried about the kitchen issue tho. i suppose i`d better take some filler with me and do the best i can.

Had inspection on friday, all good, passed ok. Was bricking it really, It was all straightforward.
Heres how it went for me (for those that have one coming up)

Checked copies of EWR, 16th ed(thats what my work was done to), 17th ed, OSG, Complaints procedure, Risk assesment, Calibration certs, qualifications, Monthly Calibration system,
Previous Certs issued, Checked Megger, Leads, Voltage indication (they prefer lamp type, dont use your meter)
My first job was a cu change, he asked what type of supply it was. Then asked for ze + pfc, obviously you need to perform safe isolation! Then asked for complete test of downstairs ring. End to end.....ect. At the end of each test he asked if the results were acceptable and what they meant. Insulation tests, again what do results mean and what are the limits. RCD tests + Final zs measurement when energised.

Got to go out now but wil continue later today.

Had inspection on friday, all good, passed ok. Was bricking it really, It was all straightforward.
Heres how it went for me (for those that have one coming up)

Checked copies of EWR, 16th ed(thats what my work was done to), 17th ed, OSG, Complaints procedure, Risk assesment, Calibration certs, qualifications, Monthly Calibration system,
Previous Certs issued, Checked Megger, Leads, Voltage indication (they prefer lamp type, dont use your meter)
My first job was a cu change, he asked what type of supply it was. Then asked for ze + pfc, obviously you need to perform safe isolation! Then asked for complete test of downstairs ring. End to end.....ect. At the end of each test he asked if the results were acceptable and what they meant. Insulation tests, again what do results mean and what are the limits. RCD tests + Final zs measurement when energised.

Got to go out now but wil continue later today.

Well done, nothing to worry about is it :D

Reply to Yeah, Another NICEIC assesment question in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net