Currently reading:
YORK - need a favour!

Discuss YORK - need a favour! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Story short, I could really use 4 lengths / 12m of bog standard 20mm galv conduit c/w couplers for first thing on Tuesday, in York. And as it’s now Saturday and Monday is the bank holiday I’m short on options from wholesalers. Anybody in the area got any I can buy/scrounge/beer tokens?! Doesn’t even need to be new, just clean. I’m in York from Monday, which is also antisocial.

R.

Screwfix sell galv conduit in 3m lengths, threaded at one end, plus couplers, are open bank holiday Monday, and you'd only have to visit maybe 3 stores in the York area to get enough for what you need. This all assumes you have the means to thread the other end!

Screwfix sell galv conduit in 3m lengths, threaded at one end, plus couplers, are open bank holiday Monday, and you'd only have to visit maybe 3 stores in the York area to get enough for what you need. This all assumes you have the means to thread the other end!
Order before 6pm today and it will be delivered to the screwfix store you select tomorrow so no need to visit loads of stores

Surely most wholesalers are going to have 20mm galv conduit on the shelf?

As an aside, I'm wondering if it's supplied in 3m lengths in GB? Screwfix carry odd lengths, but OP also mentioned 4 lengths being 12m. Over here glav conduit comes in 3.75m lengths.

As an aside, I'm wondering if it's supplied in 3m lengths in GB? Screwfix carry odd lengths, but OP also mentioned 4 lengths being 12m. Over here glav conduit comes in 3.75m lengths.
It depends which wholesaler you go to some have 3.75m lengths in stock and some have 3m lengths in stock and some have both in stock so it is a bit of a lottery
The likes of Screwfix and Toolstation only have 3m lengths

He’s gone quiet….

Maybe the suggestion of going to screwfix has put him into shock??
Hehe. It was actually a win for screwfix - 3m lengths of 25mm c/w coupler and threaded both ends, picked some up in Liverpool yesterday. And it's for non electrical use..... when in theatres you see huge big scenery drapes flying in and out, at the very bottom of them is a sewn pocket instead of a hem, into which goes a solid length of conduit or similar tube to keep it all taught and even. This is sort of similar use for a rock backdrop.

Hehe. It was actually a win for screwfix - 3m lengths of 25mm c/w coupler and threaded both ends, picked some up in Liverpool yesterday. And it's for non electrical use..... when in theatres you see huge big scenery drapes flying in and out, at the very bottom of them is a sewn pocket instead of a hem, into which goes a solid length of conduit or similar tube to keep it all taught and even. This is sort of similar use for a rock backdrop.
you mean..... it could have been anything? not just conduit?

would copper water pipe have worked? broom handles? or even fork handles???

(oh no... don't start that again!) 🤪

Increasingly it is supplied in 3m lengths, my wholesaler made some.excuse about fitting in their vans easier when they changed from 3.75 to 3 a few years ago.

1716830033611.png

Increasingly it is supplied in 3m lengths, my wholesaler made some.excuse about fitting in their vans easier when they changed from 3.75 to 3 a few years ago.

I'd be inclined to agree. 3.75 is fine in larger vans, but has to go on the roof of anything with a shorter wheelbase. I'd be quite happy to see 3m lengths, although that would mean extra bundles on larger installation jobs.

The sewn hem is likely not that large, so you want something that slides in & out easily with minimal steps that might snag. Equally it must withstand a lot of use bringing the cloth in & out possibly many times during performances, and possibly even a bit of bending if the bar the cloth is hung from is not quite level. We use 20mm galv. conduit, and screw/unscrew each section as it it pushed/pulled in/out when hanging/striking the cloth. Probably too much detail for an Electrical forum!

Reply to YORK - need a favour! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock