Currently reading:
Acceptable rates

Discuss Acceptable rates in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

At the end of the day its a free market, how much you charge is up to you,how much the customer is prepared to pay is up to them now unless you want to be dictated to by some legislation or registration scheme that sets a fixed price for everything you do then a bit of common sense should be applied if you charge too much and are greedy see how long you last, charge too little and try to undercut everyone and you'll be lucky to break even when you add up all your overheads. No two jobs are rarely the same,No two customers are ever the same,the only constant you have any real control over is the quality of your work and the service you give to your customers and it is that which IMO will keep the bread on your table.

Hey thanks Guys,

Are those rates for a sparks only and also are they South Wales rates?

Another quik question, I`ve just been asked to give a bloke a ball park figure about a complete rewire, new CU, all bog standard accessories for an average three bedroom house.
Any thoughts?

I am just starting and busy with price schedules ( estimates ) for these sort of situations when asked. Am litterally days into my business.

Thanks for any replies guys.

Steve
as other guys have said "ball park" ect but personaly I would go and do a Quote as you need to check its a 3 bedroom house ie 3 bed rooms 1 living room 1 kitchen 1 toilet/bathroom and not a 3 bed,living room,dining room,study,kitchen,untility room,sauna,hottub,2 ensuit showers all with concrete floors and crubby walls so When you quote they comeback and say "You said it would only be XYZ"

Thank you for all your advice guys, by taking all this in, I have pretty much got the general feel that I was looking for.

I find this site very informative with what seems like a good bunch of guys very willing to offer advice they`ve gained over the years. Much appreciated!

Will deffo be a regular on here.

Now if you dont mind, I must go........time to make some "MONEY":cool:

Steve

20ph for me is more than enough. It covers my business and a decent living. Fault finding I charge on a per case basis. But domestic rewires £20 per hour and I give myself 5 days. I end up finishing in 4 my money goes up. £35PH is very expensive on domestics....£280 a day? outrageous
£280 per day is not "outrageous", This is a Highly skilled responsible job, requires ongoing training and costs, various insurances, maintenance of a reliable vehicle, hundreds/thousands of pounds of hand tools , power tools and test meters. Many 'unpaid' hours doing paperwork in evenings, fuel for quotes, timewasting customers just looking to use your knowledge with NO intention of work, throw in unpaid holidays and the hourly rate is diluted down to nowhere near what you appear to charge out at charge out at...........£35/hr soon becomes £25/hr?? If we value our trade so cheaply who can blame the customers for doing the same? Just a thought

Electricserv I haven't bothered reading most of this thread so may have been answered, but you do rewires for £800?!?! WTF?

Fancy doing some sub work for me?

Where the client buys all the materials himself and you agree to rewire his 3 bed house, there exists only hourly rate and you lose out on the mark-up. Neither 10% nor 35%, just 0% - how disappointing.

Electricalserv, you may need to go on a business course or something.
You have to put a decent mark up on materials. All you're doing is covering your cost to purchase, but what about when you supply faulty goods? It happens and I'm sure everyone here will agree. Even the best manufacturers turn out the odd lemon and fair enough they'll replace it quickly enough, but they won't pay you for the time it takes to reinstall it, you will have to bear the brunt of that and it isn't your fault. Your overheads are obviously pretty low and your partner works. Not everyone is in the same boat, so don't be so quick to judge.

Whenever I pay for materials I'm taking a risk that the customer might not pay for them.
I have to spend time ordering them.
Wear and tear on my tools is also a material cost.
Insurances are also part of each job.
Wear and tear on the van.
None of the above appear on the invoice, so I just think of my 20% as covering hidden material costs.

Markup is not theft just an easier way of passing on your costs.

Just my thoughts :)

Electricserv I haven't bothered reading most of this thread so may have been answered, but you do rewires for £800?!?! WTF?

Fancy doing some sub work for me?

Thats what I thought and poeple wonder why we get customers moaning about some of us being to expensive.

Fitted bonding the other week and invoiced for 130 quid. Christ never heard a woman complain so much. Found out she works as a facilities manager at Mc Vities, so i asked how much she was on per year. Then the penny dropped and she then thought it was a fair price. LOL

Reply to Acceptable rates in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock