Discuss Adding wall lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Loky11

-
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I'm wanting to add a couple of wall lights in my dining room, which currently only has a single pendant which is wired through a junction box some where, now do wall lights require a neutral? If so what's the easiest way to get a neutral to switch? I know I will have to swap the current 1 gang switch for a 2 gang switch obv. Thanks.

Hi chaps,

I'm wanting to add a couple of wall lights in my dining room, which currently only has a single pendant which is wired through a junction box some where, now do wall lights require a neutral? If so what's the easiest way to get a neutral to switch? I know I will have to swap the current 1 gang switch for a 2 gang switch obv. Thanks.
You could always take a S/L, N and CPC from the ceiling light, to your new wall lights, wont need to change the switch then.

WHAT THE OTHER OLD FARTS ARE SAYING IS THAT WE DON'TKNOW YOUR LEVEL OF COMPETENCE.bllodty caps lock again111. i.e . are you competent to carry out this or do you need a spark? need beer. brb.

You don't know if your lights require a neutral or not.
maybe he meant if he needed a N at the switch.as walllights are best looped at switch due to lack of space th loop at fittings. OP wasn't clear.

you could get a wet-pants to wire a L to the lights and connect the other side to earth. that'll work, but stay clear.

This was my point I think. This question displays a serious lack of understanding. I would disagree with your assertion of competence. It would be best to contact a local electrician or two and get a quote for the job.

Had a total brain fart :tearsofjoy: sorry guys, been a long day from early hours(kids) I understand how lights work, was confusing myself with neutral at the switch, what a --- I am eh, I'd basically have to run new cable from jb to switch obv for the switched live and from jb to wall lights, swap the 1 gang switch for 2 gang switch?

Had a total brain fart :tearsofjoy: sorry guys, been a long day from early hours(kids) I understand how lights work, was confusing myself with neutral at the switch, what a --- I am eh, I'd basically have to run new cable from jb to switch obv for the switched live and from jb to wall lights, swap the 1 gang switch for 2 gang switch?
See post 2 use existing switch, your suggestion will be making unnecessary work for yourself, loop pff the SL and N at the ceiling fitting to first wall light and then to the second fitting, simples.

Reply to Adding wall lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock