Search the forum,

Discuss Air source heat pumps in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I believe it depends on the size of the system, Ie if it is a large house with excellent insulation, then only a small buffer tank would be required,(as there is plenty of fluid in the wet system) but if it is a small house with poor insulation then a larger buffer tank would be reqd, heatpumps also work on return temperature, so this can effect the cycling effect.
As mentioned, it is all down to system design, not just buy one and connect it up.
I may stand corrected on all of this though.

I have a 450 litre thermal store of which about half would be a buffer looking at the take-off point for the underfloor heating along with over 1km of UFH pipe so I would imagine I would be OK there. So the critical issue to me is what average COP am Ilikely to achieve with say a 12kW unit running 50˚C flow and 45˚C return temperature at a flow rate of about 2m3/hr over the winter months (unlikely to see any use May to September)??

Wiklipedia: Air Source Heat Pumps

Air source heat pumps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Efficiency Ratings" / "Risks & Precautions".

Air source heat pump efficiency is measured by the "Coefficient Of Performance".
In very mild weather, the COP of an ASHP can approach or exceed 4.
However, on a cold winters day, as ambient temperatures reduce more work is required to move the same amount of heat indoors.
Heat pump performance is limited by the Carnot cycle and approaches 1.0 as the outdoor-to-indoor temperature difference increases.
In cold weather ASHP's become progressively more inefficient consuming more electricity as ambient air temperatures reduce.
At this point you'd realistically want to turn your ASHP system off and turn on a secondary supplementary heating system like a gas condensing boiler to heat your home cheaply and effectively.
People conventionally install ASHP's in locations where natural gas mains dont exist.
If an inexpensive, economic, supplementary heating alternative doesn't exist, you are lumbered with significantly increased electricity bills over periods of sustained cold weather.
Those that dont get very high ASHP electricity bills have systems installed in extremely well insulated houses, with low heating requirements.

Daikin Altherma:

Daikin Altherma air-to-water heat pumps are currently amongst the most efficient on the market with average COPs between 3 and 5.

www.daikinac.com/content/residential/whole-house/daikin-altherma/#energy-efficiency

Last edited:
I have some comparison test results from the Swedish Energy Test Centre but have no idea how to attach the document to a forum.

If you have contributed to this thread you can email me and I will send you a copy.

Beware the Daikin high temperature unit as we are told it does NOT qualify for the RHI.

Insulation seams to be the key before considering any heating system? I too haven't heard good things about this type of heating.

I had a customer that was convinced to go with a system by a renewables company, mainly because they would get financial help towards the cost. The house wasn't insulated and after finishing the work the renewable company accepted the house was also too large for the system and would never work properly!

Wish I'd seen the program Darkwood mentioned. Also looking forward to seeing the results from the EST :)

Heat pumps work very well if they are designed correctly and installed correctly.
Not all houses are suitable for heat pumps. Mine has been on since November on radiators that are oversized. Average temperature running central heating is 30 degree, jumps to 42 when weather is cold. Average temperature in house 22 all day and night. With my dual fuel discount my supplier owes me money. I'm on mains gas.

hi just been hooking up 2 x air to water unit working with thermal store on a barn conversion.

1st unit is main load with second unit as a slave. finished wiring last night 1st unit kicked in & ran whole system up without second unit cutting in.

speaking with the guy who supplied units they like to run lazy unlike a combi boiler you run hard.

they have 2 immersion back up's on cylinder aswell.

have 40loops of underfloor heating on system over 4 mainfolds.

looks good will get details & post

Reply to Air source heat pumps in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back