Discuss Best EV Charger without Earth Rod? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
Plan to offer installation of EV Chargers, but not interested in using Earth Rods. I can only find two products, Zappi and Podpoint. Are there any others? Who would other EV installers recommend?

Plan to offer installation of EV Chargers, but not interested in using Earth Rods. I can only find two products, Zappi and Podpoint. Are there any others? Who would other EV installers recommend?
Why the reticence to an Earth rod?

Zappi is the dogs -------s mate, especially for installations with solar arrays. Not looked into the pod points. Also I believe Rolec have released a chargerer with a PEN fault detectors.

If you fancy non of these and something that needs a rod your can install a Matt E device Domestic EV Installations - https://matt-e.co.uk/single-phase-connection-units/.
[automerge]1600964644[/automerge]
They are extremely hard to install correctly for a EV charger.

Zappi is the dogs -------s mate, especially for installations with solar arrays. Not looked into the pod points. Also I believe Rolec have released a chargerer with a PEN fault detectors.

If you fancy non of these and something that needs a rod your can install a Matt E device Domestic EV Installations - https://matt-e.co.uk/single-phase-connection-units/.

You are correct Rolec have released one a few weeks ago that does not need an earth rod

IN WHAT WAY?

IN WHAT WAY?
When you install the rod for a EV Charger it needs to be 2 Metres away from any services bonded to a TN system. So any underground metal works such as gas pipes etc. Also the car needs to be 2m away from anything on a different earthing system when charging, so if you can touch your car and Mrs Jones next doors outside tap, it can’t happen.
[automerge]1600965811[/automerge]
Absolute nightmare.

I have three concerns. Firstly getting a good enough earth in an area which is very sandy and avoiding other services, water, gas and the 2 metre space between incoming electrical cables. Finally, avoiding the extra work involved compared to products like the Zappi chargers.
[automerge]1600976801[/automerge]

The Matt E device looks like you still need to add on a charging point. So, it's not such a comprehensive solution like the Zappi.

I have three concerns. Firstly getting a good enough earth in an area which is very sandy and avoiding other services, water, gas and the 2 metre space between incoming electrical cables. Finally, avoiding the extra work involved compared to products like the Zappi chargers.
[automerge]1600976801[/automerge]

The Matt E device looks like you still need to add on a charging point. So, it's not such a comprehensive solution like the Zappi.

The MattE goes inside next to the board mate. So off a MCB or Henleys into the Matt E then out to the charger. It’s a solution to the charging point that requires a Earth rod. I agree the Zappi is superior, however the coat is probably £2-300 more than a Matt E and Rolec Smart together.

I heard about the Ohme charger the other day... and was impressed with the way it used the Octopus Agile tariff to find the cheapest 30min time slots to charge from. Does the Zappie do this ? Do other chargers do this ?

Andersen A2
Looks stunning and does not need an earth rod, the next version of it released next year will really give the Zappi a run for its money on the renewables front, you can link the A2 to solar now but not many people do this.
For looks I would go for the Andersen unit it is nearly £1000 though, so not in everybodys budget, for technical features the Zappi, especially if you got a 60 amp fuse as it has a very simple ct clamp feature.

Project EV make a charger that does not need a TT rod, not a great fan of it though.
as mentioned the Pod Point solo is alright, fitted 2 this week, very well priced compared to its competitors.

the key is the tariff, octopus are by far the best in my view, the agile and go tariffs are excellent, whether you programme the charger or car is very much dependant on which car and charger you have to get the best tariff.

Andersen A2
Looks stunning and does not need an earth rod, the next version of it released next year will really give the Zappi a run for its money on the renewables front, you can link the A2 to solar now but not many people do this.
For looks I would go for the Andersen unit it is nearly £1000 though, so not in everybodys budget, for technical features the Zappi, especially if you got a 60 amp fuse as it has a very simple ct clamp feature.

Project EV make a charger that does not need a TT rod, not a great fan of it though.
as mentioned the Pod Point solo is alright, fitted 2 this week, very well priced compared to its competitors.

the key is the tariff, octopus are by far the best in my view, the agile and go tariffs are excellent, whether you programme the charger or car is very much dependant on which car and charger you have to get the best tariff.

Are these devices, the ones that monitor the voltage between line & neutral?

Are these devices, the ones that monitor the voltage between line & neutral?
essentially yes, there is a good video online from efixx / myenergi who make the zappi that explains how it monitors the voltage between conductors to determine if there is an open-pen fault. they had to present it to the iet to get approval.

essentially yes, there is a good video online from efixx / myenergi who make the zappi that explains how it monitors the voltage between conductors to determine if there is an open-pen fault. they had to present it to the iet to get approval.
I've read the zappi link and watched JW vid on the subject and both talk about the issue of monitoring the voltage, and the fact that an unbalance 3 phase load, that in some cases with a broken pen conductor the voltages won't be outside of the 207 -253. Then the that 70v, could be higher. Does the zappi have this sensing coil, similar to an RCD? This also seems to have its issues.

I think the Zappi has some sort of "3-pole RCD" to detect an earth fault current from MET to outdoors, probably as well as out-of-range voltage trip.

There was a video on it at some point, no real info, just saying how theirs is better than the TT/rod or Matt:E approaches.

I think the Zappi has some sort of "3-pole RCD" to detect an earth fault current from MET to outdoors, probably as well as out-of-range voltage trip.

There was a video on it at some point, no real info, just saying how theirs is better than the TT/rod or Matt:E approaches.
From the JW vid I've watched, because a car is isolated from earth, this 'RCD' will only work when someone is stood on true earth touches the car metal work. I don't what the Zappi charger actually does, but they've applied for a patent, so are not saying much.

The Podpoint seems to use the same voltage monitoring system. But no mention of the 'RCD' device.

I don't what the Zappi charger actually does, but they've applied for a patent, so are not saying much.
Patents can be granted for near-trivial variations unfortunately.

I would be very surprised if it is anything revolutionary, most likely it is simply monitoring the CPC current (probably also another to check the live current imbalance) and tripping all live & CPC on a detected fault.

So an RCD by another name...or the VOELCB given a current-sensing makeover!

I am doing an extension with garage at home. Before I install insulation and double board the ceiling I thought about running a T&E cable to the front of the garage for future EV charger. Trying to get an SWA in through joists will be a pain. Run for cable is 15mtrs on TNS supply, I know that you can’t guarantee a TNS supply as DNO can convert it to TNCS. My question is can I use the CPC in the T&E cable if I use one of the PEN conductor relay chargers or should I run separate earth cable to charger from C/U? Can I also run a cat5e cable from potential charger location back to router? I am booked on C&G 2 day EV course in Feb but want to get the cables in and ceilings boarded. Any help & advice please.
Also I read Ford Transit Custom EV give charging times based on 3ph chargers so am I right in thinking Ford have basically made an EV van that is totally useless for domestic charging unless you work for a company that has a 3ph supply and you can charge it there or use commercial charging stations?

Reply to Best EV Charger without Earth Rod? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock