Discuss Bonding central heating in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Alan42

Hi all, I've just spent most of my Sunday trying to answer this question: what bonding is required for a gas central heating system where some pipes are under the suspended timber floor? I have to consider this in connection with a consumer unit change, the gas and water main bonding is in 10mm which was (presumably) OK'd by the sparky who wired the new kitchen a few months ago and I now have to renew the board with a nice big Crabtree one with 2 - 30mA RCDs. The system had a 4-way and a seperate 1-way rewireable fuse board, both fed by a 30mA RCD. I see it like this: the boiler has a cpc in the flex that connects it. The pipes under the floor are clipped to timber joists where visible. 411.3.1.2 requires main protective bonding of central heating pipes where they are extraneous conductive parts, ie liable to introduce earth potential into the building, so if the floor were concrete I reckon all buried pipes would need bonding with a 10mm cpc. Now, the pipes in this house are nicely insulated with nylon clips and timber joists as far as I can see, but just in case there is a possibility of contact with the sub-floor I propose to connect the 2 pipes that come out of the floor with clamps to a spare loop of the existing main bonding cable that runs past them. There is plenty of slack in the cable, so I can do it without cutting. Am I right? Many thanks in anticipation.

post was a bit too long for me to read i only have little eyes but between the lines if you have rcd and main bonds in place then supp bond is not necc, although i would always add it as a matter of course..

Hi.

Basically all that is required is a main bond to incoming water service, and a main bond to incoming gas service.

I also cross bond hot and cold water pipes and also flow and return heating pipes at the boiler position, just something I do.:eek:

Cheers

Alan,
Supplementary Bonding Not required at Boiler as I think .from your post,You already are aware of....
Main Equipotential Protective Bonding to c/heating pipes not required, as pipework not in contact with extraneous conductive part as far as you can reasonably ascertain....I personally would not additionally bond as you suggest doing. dont forget you can always mention this reasoning on the EIC if you have any concerns on the matter.

spark 1

Reply to Bonding central heating in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock