Discuss Bulb placed into special administration - What now? in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bulb Energy, which started in 2015 and was one of the first providers to offer renewable energy at affordable rates, has gone into special administration due to the spike in wholesale prices.

Bulb placed into special administration - What now? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

This means that for now the insolvent company is continuing to run as normal whilst administrators are brought in and the company sold at the appropriate time - if it can be. Customers will be transferred to another provider.

Is it better to go with a bigger supplier or a smaller one at the moment? Should Bulb customers shop around or wait and see what happens?

Have you got any advice for forum members affected by this and the collapse of other energy firms?

Octopus not just for the great over night rate of 5p per kwh which is good for charging the car or battery storage etc. but all those £50 referrals I have done have saved me a fortune.
Excellent customer service, fair prices so happy to stick with them

we're with glowpower atm
Though the contract is up in the next month or two iirc so we have to take a look at the others again also

Another one with Octopus. Always seem to be rated highly with Which?
I am planning on getting a battery system to add to my solar panels, so Octopus "Outgoing Agile" will be a no-brainer. Octopus seem to be way ahead on innovation, clearly some very switched on people running the business - I believe they do hedge their energy costs too, so better placed than some of the others that have gone out of business.
BTW this story explains why Bulb customers are NOT being transferred:
Energy firm Bulb to go into administration

With Bulb here, been with them for some time, started out great, then we moved house and due to smart meter issues had a whopping £600 bill where tht smart meter hadn't communicated in months, finally started working and wallop one big --- bill.

Staying put for now, have no EV/PV/ESS so not idea whT supplier to change to, probsy Octopus

Was moved to Octopus when a supplier went bust a few years ago. From there I moved two accounts to Iresa, and have just been compulsorily moved to EON. Should probably have stayed with Octopus.
Have another account with Scottish Power, who I have been in dispute with for several years. Can't leave because of their alleged outstanding balance. Have a folder containing a sheath of 54 threating letters of one kind or another, ranging from 'payment overdue', through 'escalated collections' to ten letters from their 'in house' Grovesnor sollcitors, plus two visits from debt collectors in person. Keeps people in employment, I suppose.

I'm with OVO. I only found out a couple of weeks ago. Been with SWALEC (part of SSE) for years but apparently that's now part of OVO.

Was moved from Symbio which went bust a few week ago to EON. Tarriff almost doubled to 24.1p but has been reduced to 20.4p recently. It was 12.6p with Symbio! Also the daily standing charge has almost trebled to 32p. I wonder how much it actually costs to produce and supply renewable energy at the moment....

Another Bulb user here - mainly because I got the £50 credit when switching way back.

Naturally my old 'smart' meter didn't properly work for ages, but they do seem to have finally sorted it.

Will wait and see what happens, not much point moving now as I doubt anyone is keen to take on new customers until they see how bad the Winter gets...

Waiting to see if a grant will pay for a new boiler (upgrade from E7) so I can stop using oil filled radiators and wearing a woolly hat in the kitchen!

I've been with bulb for years, on their vari-fair tariff which has served me pretty well before now. Referrals have been good too. Currently on 20.82p/kWh & 27.38p standing charge. Gonna stick just now and see what happens.

Was moved from Symbio which went bust a few week ago to EON. Tarriff almost doubled to 24.1p but has been reduced to 20.4p recently. It was 12.6p with Symbio! Also the daily standing charge has almost trebled to 32p. I wonder how much it actually costs to produce and supply renewable energy at the moment....
The problem is that there's a weird thing in the UK and EU where (crudely) the unit price is based on the most expensive production route at any given time, so even if there's enough energy for 90% of the UK from wind and sunshine it gets charged at the same price as the gas-generated stuff which is ludicrously high right now.

It's supposed to keep things competitive, but it's woefully out of date, hindering development of clean fuel solutions and is basically the cause of this whole pricing surge.

Reply to Bulb placed into special administration - What now? in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock