Discuss Can anyone ID this 'bathroom extractor fan' (as was??) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
Been asked to sort some bits out at a flat and found this behind a ventilation screen.
I assume it was the backing of a centrifugal fan and someone has tried to do an imaginative DIY fix??
Just to confirm, the box is surface mounted.
The vent from the box is at the top .
Wonder if anyone has seen this and managed a solution for a new fan in this situation?
Thanks in advance for any help / thoughts
Can anyone ID this 'bathroom extractor fan' (as was??) IMG_1336.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Can anyone ID this 'bathroom extractor fan' (as was??) IMG_1337.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Did you measure it? Might get somewhere by googling the dimensions?

edit: do they get on with their neighbours? As this is in a flat then a look in next doors might be handy to at least find out what brand it was.

Last edited:
Hi
Been asked to sort some bits out at a flat and found this behind a ventilation screen.
I assume it was the backing of a centrifugal fan and someone has tried to do an imaginative DIY fix??
Just to confirm, the box is surface mounted.
The vent from the box is at the top .
Wonder if anyone has seen this and managed a solution for a new fan in this situation?
Thanks in advance for any help / thoughts
View attachment 42717 View attachment 42718
If there is access to a loft,remove the box and fan and place a ceiling grill over the hole and an inline fan in the loft.Ventaxia are good.
Hope this helps,regards,S/W.

The fan you have posted the pic of is clearly marked Expelair.
The fan it replaced may, as you say have a larger vent and the casing used as a bodge to prevent remedial work.
Sine's post is a good option.

Misread the post . Sorry

Last edited:
Hi Many thanks Everyone
I had seen the link mentioned when first looking but nothing sprung out. I had also investigated Greenwood and Silivant but again nothing obvious...
Its a rental between tenancies and unfortunately the landlord doesnt know the neighbours (I had asked ). However, I am there tomorrow so I think a bit of cold calling is on the cards.
I will update either way with finding setc
Thanks again guys,

Have you got a picture of the grill that was covering it? Maybe someone would better recognise it from that.....

I'm not convinced it was a centrifugal fan, usually there'd be some signs of the telltale components such as diaphragm plate, or cone shaped housing etc even if the motor and impeller were removed.

Last edited:
Hi Thanks for ther continued responses

Following up

- I managed to meet two other residents but one was too busy and the other was only happy to check themselves rather than me... (do I look that suspicious.. answers on a post card!??) and all I got was a beige box with no markings

- The flat is not at the top so no access above

- Re the faceplate on the original. All this was was a vent plate from somewhere stuck on with double sided tape so of no help..

- Anthony (and rsgaz):Dimensions:
25.5cm square; 20cm between screw fixings (for a front plate); depth 11cm; vent out at the top approx 7x15cm

-AJShep, Greenwood airvac the depth seems too much for this box

-Antony, I tried the PDF but it wouldn't open however, I did re-look at Silavent and a couple of fans looked a possibility however, from what I could see they only had 3 corner fixings (with the vent hole in the fourth corner). I did followup with Domus Ventilation (who now make Silavent) but they couldn't (or wouldn't ) give me the size between the fixings on their models i.e.
Silavent Mayfair 070 series
Silavent Mayfair Classic

-Either way, For these I seem to need a backbox. They used to do one (PFL 420A) which had a side (or top depending on how mounted) which would have possibly done the job however, they stopped doing this and only do the rear vent which is no good here (as confirmed with Domus Ventilation).

All I can think of doing is putting a front panel on the box, find a compromise fan which doesn't stick too far in (and out) and have some ducting to the exit hole at the top (but will look pants)

Thanks in advance for any further thoughts on something I may not be aware of / missed

Reply to Can anyone ID this 'bathroom extractor fan' (as was??) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock