Search the forum,

Discuss can i be an electrician in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

erick

Hi
I want to be an electrician.I don't know how to do?I am not sure if I become an electrician?
May I introduce myself.I am 33.I don't know wether I am old to learn from the beginning?I really want to be electrician.I want to participate an course.But I don't know which courses I should participate?I have no jop and no driving license.I live in the norwich.I don't have much money to participate a expensive course.I want to learn in norwich but I don't know whether it is true?can I be an apprentice?I am chinese, my english is not well.I am not familar about electrician in UK.
Thank you very much.

Without money it will be difficult. Not only to pay for courses, but to be able to support yourself at the same time.
Don't get sucked into these quick courses as they are not always as good as you may think.
It will take you a few years to become properly qualified, although you can work whilst training to gain experience.
Get a driving licence as above and good luck with your future.
Cheers
B

Hi
I want to be an electrician.I don't know how to do?I am not sure if I become an electrician?
May I introduce myself.I am 33.I don't know wether I am old to learn from the beginning?I really want to be electrician.I want to participate an course.But I don't know which courses I should participate?I have no jop and no driving license.I live in the norwich.I don't have much money to participate a expensive course.I want to learn in norwich but I don't know whether it is true?can I be an apprentice?I am chinese, my english is not well.I am not familar about electrician in UK.
Thank you very much.
Brush up on your English, get a driving licence, try to find a Job as an Electricians mate first to see if you like the Job, then if you like the job and have been earning money whilst working as a Mate you will need to find a sponsor or 6k- 8k to get the qualifications.

Thank you!I am learning how to drive.In china,I have driving license.So I can drive a car in UK for a year.May I ask whether I can work as a electrician mate.Although I have not experience in electrical area.How can i find a jop as a electrician mate.Thank you very much!

Providing you are allowed to work in the UK there is no reason whatsover you cannot work as an Electricians mate, the only problem is finding a company to employ you, that said you could ask the Inland Revenue for a 20% UTR number for becomming a sole trader and join an agency, they will find work for you but you will need a car because of travelling and be prepared to take work as an when it comes available.

Providing you are allowed to work in the UK there is no reason whatsover you cannot work as an Electricians mate, the only problem is finding a company to employ you, that said you could ask the Inland Revenue for a 20% UTR number for becomming a sole trader and join an agency, they will find work for you but you will need a car because of travelling and be prepared to take work as an when it comes available.
Many thanks!I will purchase a car in a month.The biggest difficulties is to find a company to employ me.I think I will study hard and try to get a jop.Can i ask if I participate a course online for lever 2.How do you think?Is it helpful for me to find a jop as eledtrician mate?Which trainer do you recommend?Which training institution is the cheapest.Because I don't have much money.I appriciate you from my heart.

Many thanks!I will purchase a car in a month.The biggest difficulties is to find a company to employ me.I think I will study hard and try to get a jop.Can i ask if I participate a course online for lever 2.How do you think?Is it helpful for me to find a jop as eledtrician mate?Which trainer do you recommend?Which training institution is the cheapest.Because I don't have much money.I appriciate you from my heart.
Well regarding the course you will have to wait for other replies I am afraid, maybe one of the trainees will be able to advise on this.

Thanks,may I ask again how many times the exams for level 2 a year?If I participate a course online where I can take the exam?Thank you !

Erick,
Being honest, any qualifications without real world experience are virtually useless.
In my opinion that applies whatever level of course you do.

I’d seriously doubt there’s any steady job opportunities for people with qualifications and no experience. I’d be happy to be proved wrong.

Going the self employed route with no experience, or little experience is just plain dangerous. You’d need testing equipment and tools Allow about £1.5K for this just to give you a ball park figure to start off with.

I’m happy to share my experience of the electricians mate route to experience. I was reflecting on my year anyway. I’ve found it generally positive. I could afford to work for £8.50 to £10 PH, is that an option for you ?

For electricians mates work you’ll have more opportunities if you have a CSCS card.
It costs around £130 to do this and get a labourers card. Takes a day in a classroom.
Not having a CSCS is an obstacle you don’t need.

You need your own PPE.
Hi Vis, Boots, dust mask, safety glasses, gloves , hard hat would be the minimum requirements. Waterproof gear can be important but problematic to wear. After a few hours outdoors in the rain you’ll discover what I mean by problematic LOL

As for tools, you need to check what’s expected on a job by job basis. I always carry in boot of car. First day on a job.

I prefer the term electricians labourer, as it’s much closer to reality than mate.
You need to be honest about your lack of experience.
There’s no onus on anyone to teach you anything, you’re being paid to perform tasks that are not cost effective for qualified sparks to do, end of. Occasionally you’ll get relatively cushy jobs with helpful people. Don’t bank on this.

Learning is done by observation, and doing stuff, like pulling cables. You may get taught shown minimum they need to tell/show you to get the job done. You need to be focussed on what you’re paid to do, not distracting people by asking questions or watching people work.

I’ve done labouring for a year after getting some mickey mouse qualifications. I got invaluable experience looking back with hindsight, Some real tedious weeks too. Its advisable to be outwardly cheerful and enthusiastic through bad times. You can ask the agency to get you out of jobs you hate as long as you give them time to replace you. Walking out of a job with no notice would be a bad move.

There is no option not to do what you’re told, unless it’s downright dangerous.
The training received getting your CSCS card should help you ID what‘s dangerous..
I‘ve never been put in danger. However I’ve picked up knocks and bumps on a regular basis. Once some stitches. If you can’t physically do what you’re asked you wouldn’t last the day the client will call the agency and complain. I’ve seen other agency lads took aside and sent home. I just mention this to flag up you need to be physically fit, and may be required to work long hours.

One last thing,
Some people from agencies contacting you about electricians labouring work will mislead you.
Not saying it’s malicious, it’s just how things are at times.
That said some are honest, and the ones who mislead you will be more honest, if you get good feedback from their clients.
Be prepared to be misled on the length of the contract and type of work, In addition you need the clarify whether it’s PAYE Umbrella or SE
Don’t get pressured into to thrashing your posh power tools for bad pay, unless you’re very desperate for work.

Best of luck, I hope I haven’t posted too negative a picture.
In the unlikely event anyone actually read this rambling essay.
Feel free to add to, disagree, or give me feedback on what I’ve said, I‘d welcome that.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Erick,
Being honest, any qualifications without real world experience are virtually useless.

I’d seriously doubt there’s any steady job opportunities for people with qualifications and no experience. I’d be happy to be proved wrong.

Going the self employed route with no experience, or little experience is just plain dangerous. You’d need testing equipment and tools Allow about £1.5K for this just to give you a ball park figure to start off with.

I’m happy to share my experience of the electricians mate route to experience. I was reflecting on my year anyway. I’ve found it generally positive. I could afford to work for £8.50 to £10 PH, is that an option for you ?

For electricians mates work you’ll have more opportunities if you have a CSCS card.
It costs around £130 to do this and get a labourers card. Takes a day in a classroom.

You need your own PPE.
Hi Vis, Boots, dust mask, safety glasses, gloves , hard hat would be the minimum requirements. Waterproof gear can be important but problematic to wear. After a few hours outdoors in the rain you’ll discover what I mean by problematic LOL

As for tools, you need to check what’s expected on a job by job basis. I always carry in boot of car. First day on a job.

I prefer the term electricians labourer, as it’s much closer to reality than mate.
There’s no onus on anyone to teach you anything, you’re being paid to perform tasks that are not cost effective for qualified sparks to do, end of. Occasionally you’ll get relatively cushy jobs with helpful people. Don’t bank on this.

Learning is done by observation, and doing stuff, like pulling cables. You may get taught shown minimum they need to tell/show you to get the job done. You need to be focussed on what you’re paid to do, not distracting people by asking questions or watching people work.

I’ve done labouring for a year after getting some mickey mouse qualifications. I got invaluable experience looking back with hindsight, Some real tedious weeks too. Its advisable to be outwardly cheerful and enthusiastic through bad times. You can ask the agency to get you out of jobs you hate as long as you give them time to replace you. Walking out of a job with no notice would be a bad move.

The training received getting your CSCS card should help you ID what‘s dangerous..
I‘ve never been put in danger. However I’ve picked up knocks and bumps on a regular basis. Once some stitches. If you can’t physically do what you’re asked you wouldn’t last the day the client will call the agency and complain. I’ve seen other agency lads took aside and sent home. I just mention this to flag up you need to be physically fit, and may be required to work long hours.

One last thing,
Some people from agencies contacting you about electricians labouring work will mislead you.
That said some are honest, and the ones who mislead you will be more honest, if you get good feedback from their clients.
Be prepared to be misled on the length of the contract and type of work, In addition you need the clarify whether it’s PAYE Umbrella or SE
Don’t get pressured into to thrashing your posh power tools for bad pay, unless you’re very desperate for work.

Feel free to add to, disagree, or give me feedback on what I’ve said, I‘d welcome that.:D

A good and honest reply. It is hard in any industry when you don't have the experience.
Enthusiasm will only get you so far.........

Erick,

You need your own PPE.

One last thing,

Newtothis
Thank you very much.Thank you for me to write long essay.I am prepared for any hard work。I know it is easier said than done.I think I have no choice.Because I have no jop,I have to support myself.So I have to bear any setback.Thanks for telling me to get cscs card.In the next period of time,I try to buy a car and learn english well.I 'd afford any paid as long as they let me go to work.
Thanks again!

Reply to can i be an electrician in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock