Currently reading:
Connecting a hob

Discuss Connecting a hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrissysmagicbo

hi i would just like to know about this... have a hob which requires a cable of 4mm to hardwire to cooker switch. the fuse at board is 30amp and the shut off near the cooker is a 45amp. as i cannot find a 30amp switch. my question is, i have no idea what amp or size the original cable is although it has its own circuit, which comes from the main fuse box, is it ok to use a different size wire ie 4mm and yet the original house wiring is, say 6mm. my real question is can i use 4mm for the hob as i have no idea what cable is used coming from the main switchboard. does it matter if i use 4mm wire as suggested in the manual? hope you can understand my question, thanks for any help, chris

hi thanks for your help, well as the maker specifys H05 RRF 3 CORE X 4MM i will use it as stated. the set up previously was a cooker switch with a socket. the standalone cooker was hardwired into cooker switch but had a spur which went on to a double socket which had small appliances ie kettle. as this was a radial circuit??? i removed the spur. so now have just a cooker switch with socket. the oven is single with a plug and the ceramic hob is the one that must be hardwired into it. the hob is 6kw. and i have a seperate fused cooker switch that turns off the hob and oven.the hob is about 1 meter away from switch. i gather this is all in order? chris

hi thanks for your help, well as the maker specifys H05 RRF 3 CORE X 4MM i will use it as stated. the set up previously was a cooker switch with a socket. the standalone cooker was hardwired into cooker switch but had a spur which went on to a double socket which had small appliances ie kettle. as this was a radial circuit??? i removed the spur. so now have just a cooker switch with socket. the oven is single with a plug and the ceramic hob is the one that must be hardwired into it. the hob is 6kw. and i have a seperate fused cooker switch that turns off the hob and oven.the hob is about 1 meter away from switch. i gather this is all in order? chris

Are you suggesting fused as ,"at the consumer unit",or local ?

I mean there is a fuse just for this supply on fuse box of course and also a fuse in the cooker switch which is about a meter away from hob and cooker. hope this is what you are asking. please ask away if you dont understand i know i dont explain myself very well. so cable comes into kitchen from fuse board that is where i have the fused cooker switch. then i have a cable which comes from the fused cooker switch and ends at the original "cooker switch with a socket" which is accessable. the oven is plugged into this and i will hardwire the hob into it. i thought that it would be better to have a fused cooker switch which i can turn off after use. previously the cable went straight into the cooker switch which wasnt fused and also had spur running from it. thanks chris

Last edited by a moderator:
The fused cooker switch seems to be a bit of a strange animal

selectric-lg9218n-double-pole-switch-with-7593-3603_medium-250x250.jpg

It's not something like this is it

I mean there is a fuse just for this supply on fuse box of course and also a fuse in the cooker switch which is about a meter away from hob and cooker. hope this is what you are asking. please ask away if you dont understand i know i dont explain myself very well.

so cable comes into kitchen from fuse board that is where i have the fused cooker switch. That is the picture I posted I guess Chris

then i have a cable which comes from the fused cooker switch and ends at the original "cooker switch with a socket" which is accessable.So from the swich you go into a cooker switch

the oven is plugged into this and i will hardwire the hob into it.That mate is where if I read everything right we have to stop, as you can't do that.

i thought that it would be better to have a fused cooker switch which i can turn off after use. previously the cable went straight into the cooker switch which wasnt fused and also had spur running from it. thanks chris

I can only advise now Chris that you may have things slightly confused, and it is difficult to explain things on a forum I agree. But the very fact that your confusing things, and may be telling us what you are is because really the work is a little beyond you.

I can only advise for safety sake you ask for help. post your general location and i'm sure one of the lads could come round and give you a quote for the work you need done

It's got to the point where a photo or two is required, because i don't know of any 45A switch fused isolator, that would be used for a cooker circuit!! Not only that, the fact that 45A fuse is greater than your CU OCD!! Pretty pointless really!!

As Malcolm said earlier Chrissy, I reckon it's time to post up your rough location. By the time we have reached a solution for you you could have had a spark come out and assess the job properly to tell you what is needed and even maybe have carried out the work

It is clear you are in way above your head here. You are confused over simple accessory descriptions and the purpose of those accessories as well as their ratings along with the ratings of your appliance and how they all inter-relate.

For your own safety and that of others in your household, call an electrician. This is a simple job which will take about an hour to complete and cost you no more than about £50.

Post your location if you'd like someone from here to get in touch.

It is clear you are in way above your head here. You are confused over simple accessory descriptions and the purpose of those accessories as well as their ratings along with the ratings of your appliance and how they all inter-relate.

For your own safety and that of others in your household, call an electrician. This is a simple job which will take about an hour to complete and cost you no more than about £50.

Post your location if you'd like someone from here to get in touch.
Well I was trying to be delicate:)

hi well i dont know why i cannot just repeat what was done b 4 unfortunately i am a pensioner and dread the cost of a electrician which i might not be able to pay. so thanks for all your help chris
as PCsaid, should be a max. cost of £50, providing it is straightforward. any sparks worthy of the name would tell you beforehand if there were problems entailing greater cost.

hi well i dont know why i cannot just repeat what was done b 4 unfortunately i am a pensioner and dread the cost of a electrician which i might not be able to pay. so thanks for all your help chris

The vast majority of tradesmen are honest decent citizens just like yourself. Many will give a reduced rate to those on a pension who clearly cannot aford 'full rate'. Or since the job doesn't require any certification or notification it could be done for about £35 cash. It would still be a proper job and entirely safe, giving you full peace of mind.

Are you really so hard up that you'd risk your life for 35 quid? Or have you been sucked in by all those TV programmes into believing all tradesmen are just conmen?

Here in Lutterworth, we have a substantial, 'mature' population. Many of whom call on my services. I am often recommended from one pensioner to another. There are many like me up and down the land, why not ask amongst your friends or at the local Age Concern (I'm known by them too).

Reply to Connecting a hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back