Currently reading:
Continuity check??

Discuss Continuity check?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
:confused:Hi guys,
Could anyone educate me as I'm no way near as good as ok..!
Had a problem which I've previously posted on your forum, about GU10 downlights, my question is..
If you were to be doing a connection check on the terminal strip of the downlight( earth to common earth to live )?
What reading would you get (open or closed)???:eek:

hi mate
all the members would not want to risk giving you info as you are a bit out your depth
brown is the line conductor and if its running from switch this is a sw/line and is a live conductor
blue is the neutral also a live conductor
green /yellow is the cpc (earth)

as for continuity
with the test leads of your instrument connected together you will get a low resistance ohm reading and this is a closed circuit
a open circuit will as durham says give you a reading of 99.9ohm or greater depending on your tester
ie with test leads not touching each other try it then you may understand
as for telling you how to conect your lights this is because no one wants to accept responsibility if you do it wrong which you already have

to do a continuity test on a lighting circuit there is a lot you would need to understand first and how to carry it out safely in a competent way so to not cause you injury or danger to others

your descriptions are very vague and if you really want to know you would be better getting a copy of the Iee on site guide

your course should teach you how to wire basic lighting circuits properly and how to inspect and test them
what course are you doing

Hi Bruce thanks for response. I think I over exagurated it a bit . There is lighting in the kitchen now and since have installed 6x 12v downlights 50watt with 6x 65watt transformers, and all is fine.
But still can't understand why fuse had kept flipping.
Do you have make advance checks before connecting the live and neutral to GU10 downlights, as there were no instructions???

Thanks again, doing a plumbing course with T4T trade skills. Which involves learning via reading, and submitting se4narios and files for marking. All is good and thanks for a great illustration there.You sound like a good sparky???
And sorry if I'm out of my depths here, but your advise and help made a lotta difference..

Reply to Continuity check?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock