Search the forum,

Discuss Correcting Ring Main Fault in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

moody89

Hi all! I havent posted much on these forums but have been an avid reader and member for some time now - its a great resource for information and problem solving. Anyway, I'm looking for some advice/opinions on this particular issue.

Was asked to have a look at a job (all local authority work) where another electrician had wired the kitchen. Apparently upon testing there was no end to end continuity on the ring main supplying the sockets. After having a nose about I traced the issue to a lovely collection of junction boxes undeaneath the floor boards above the kitchen. It wasn't hard to find - there was sheet flooring as opposed to actual floorboards and you could see where a circular saw had been used to gain access. From here on it's probably easier if I draw what I discovered rather than attempt to explain it since in all honesty it's still pickling my brain trying to get my head around what he was attempting! You'll have to excuse my quick attempt at a diagram:

ringmaincockup.jpg

The cable coming in on the left hand side is one leg of the ring which is JB'd to accomodate the spur in the bedroom upstairs. That leg then continues downstairs supply several sockets in the kitchen (only one shown on diagram for simplicity) and then back up to another JB which is only used to extend the cable to a socket in the neighbouring bedroom. The return leg from that socket (shown on the diagram) was wrapped in insulation tape over it's end and was left live underneath the floor. Needless to say alarm bells were ringing. I have no idea what wiring arrangements were in place before he changed things but I'll be sure to ask him this and a few other questions when I see him next! Essentially, he has a broken ring and half of the sockets in the kitchen and the one in the bedroom form part of a series of consecutive spurs in 2.5mm cable all protected by a 32A MCB! At this point in time, I'm just the poor guy they sent to correct it! My question is: is there any way to correct this mess so that a proper ring final circuit can be reinstated? Surely there should be if one existed originally but as I mentioned this has been pickling me all afternoon and I'm going to be seeing ring mains in my sleep if I can't get my head around this asap! Obviously the return leg from the bedroom socket has to be reinstated as part of the ring main somehow but where!? What was going on before he made changes! Cheers for any feedback guys, it's very much appreciated!

you need to find both outgoing cables from the CU. use these as ring for kitchen interconecting kitchen S/O ( try not to use JB's if it's totally unavoidable crimp or Wago connections )
Spur from the first floor ring to feed the two bedroom sockets via FCU if both on same spur ( assuming there is a ring on the first floor )

Reply to Correcting Ring Main Fault in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock