Discuss couple of questions in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gap30

just done a eicr recently, its a 4 storey house which was a mess, basically it had a series of 60a fuses daisy chained at the basement, so i installed an rcd db on each floor (couple of circuits each floor, lights and sockets) to each flat, anyway back on track, i installed a 6 way db in the basement with a 50a mcb feeding each flat 16mm twin and earth enclosed in mt4 trunking, also there was a fire alarm panel, emergency lighting and stairwell lighting for the communal areas again all wired in mt2 surface - none of these circuits are rcd protected, i have listed the 50a circuits as 'D' distribution circuits and the other 3 as 'F' final circuits - this is ok as they are wired in trunking i take it

also the stairwell lights are all on time lag electronic switches and when i tested the circuit the r1/r2 readings and Zs were fine, is it ok if i LIM the insulation resistance tests, tbh the stairwell lighting circuit is not brilliant but the guy wanted me to keep the work to a minimum if i could

please dont slag me off over the above comment with the stairwell lighting, this house was wired a long time ago and i have dragged it into the 21st century with just the stairwell lighting giving me any concern, i really have done a lot to this house

it is 1000 times better than when i first started it

forgot to mention when i carried out an IR test on the stairwell lights i tried 250v on live/neutral to cpc and still got a carp reading which suprised me even with the electronic time lag switches

can you not short L and N and test to E? this would give you a figure to enter in the schedule of test results.

can you not short L and N and test to E? this would give you a figure to enter in the schedule of test results.

see post #2 its giving me some concern, i know i could link out all the switches but i am scared what i will find with these stairwell lights they are a bit of a mess but now i am the duty holder - i insisted to the client to rewire the lights but he was having none of it and i really wanted the job (foolish i know)

so make a note that the customer has been advised of the low readings, enter the readings you got on your test sheet.

this will be the cert i issue on completion of the work and i have covered myself, sorry to sound stupid i really am trying to be a better spark and am still learning especially on the issuing of certs

you don't sound stupid to me. the post was a sensible question.

^thanks expect many more stoopid questions an old guy once told me a good electrician is like a sponge accept all advice

If your client does not want a certain circuit or wiring of that circuit testing then you can put it in the limitations box and say its at clients request,anything that you find and put down on the report is your professional opinion guided by regulations and experience,all you can do is highlight to people what you believe requires attention to providebetter safety,if they dont want it not much we can do.These new 8/9 page eicrs are a bit over the top for me,i dont think there was anything wrong with the old types really,just needed a revamp,more paperwork that joe public has no idea whats on it.

Reply to couple of questions in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net