Discuss Cowboy Builders have Part P qualified Electrician Inspecting dodgey work! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I must admit I did see one episode where the customer paid £1500 for a re-wire. Her house looked like it was a large 3 bed and seemed surprised when the job was unfinished and shoddy, Im no expert but surely that is way too cheap. You only have to look at the bids on myhammer to see that people are doing jobs for hardly anything. One chap only had public liability as his qualifications!! It just should not be allowed, and frankly takes the you know what out of those that jump through all the hoops that current legislation requires, Im only part time but already have seen the look on peoples faces when you tell them that their wiring is unsafe and they need rcd protection etc...you just know they will either have a go themselves, or get a mate to tackle it...

My way too,Sky, but electrical is 10% of my business (electronic security/fire) and would not have kept me afloat these last few months. Cannot (knowingly) do crap work even if the client asks for a quick fix-as the saying goes, your name is your virtue.

Well said! Diversity brings its own issues a la costs too, but the mantra has to be quality and compliance no matter what you do. It is for us too.

You only have to look at the bids on my hammer to see that people are doing jobs for hardly anything...

Read your post,so out of curiosity I did

Now I'm not too sure how it works so I may be a little wrong
The figure on the job with no quotes is what the budget of the customer is,Yes?

There is a full rewire in Chorley (wherever that happens to be) the customer wants the full works and the chasing in plastered, for a whacking £ 700

I really cant understand why people have this sort of figure in mind
They then have prices to match and we all know they are crazy prices,its afterwards these customers find the error of their ways

Unfortunately,because its not a glamorous feature (the electrical installations are so far down that list) this perception is very widespread

Yes that's right. The customer puts in a price and prospective tradesman outbid each other to get the job a bit like ebay in reverse! I suppose you cant blame the customer as not many people would have a clue at what a rewire would cost and would go with whoever would be the cheapest.

Yes that's right. The customer puts in a price and prospective tradesman outbid each other to get the job a bit like ebay in reverse! I suppose you cant blame the customer as not many people would have a clue at what a rewire would cost and would go with whoever would be the cheapest.

I don't BLAME the customer but I have no sympathy when it all goes wrong!

Reply to Cowboy Builders have Part P qualified Electrician Inspecting dodgey work! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net