Discuss cpc in downlight wiring??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jase

how come there isnt a terminal for the cpc even on mains halogen fire rated downlights when the can is made of metal?? is it cos the terminals are insulated and then sit inside a plastic housing so they are double insulated i.e class 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
about right. just makes you wonder how to terminate the cpc.

this is why i asked, went to a guys house the other day cos he built his own kitchen extension years ago but now wants to sell the house, anyway he never got it signed off by BC and now the inspector has come round he wants to see Part P documentation for the wiring, well i pulled one of the downlights down ( theres 20 overall!!) and he has just looped in and out with the live and neutrals and cut the cpc's off!!, am i correct in thinking that the reason there has to be continuity of the cpc is for obvious reasons in the event of a fault, hence not just using twin live and neutral cable?
The BC wants them to all be fire rated too so its a case of replacing them all so i shall be stripping back all the cables and using wagos and line enclosures anyway.

i would ask for the inspector to quote the building reg. that says they have to be fire rated. sounds like a case of a jobsworth in a suit asserting his authority. in would also ask him if he has any idea of why and when fire rated downlights should be fitted.

Last edited:
I'm just the 3rd party here, i did ask the client, and told him that in my opinion they didnt NEED to be, but he just wants to get it sorted and get the paperwork so the sale of his house can go through. Im not even sure what is meant by Part P paperwork ??? I shall be doing a MWC for changing the lights, as i will test the circuit once im done.

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH I'm surprised its just the lights he wants sorting, surely BC would want paperwork for the whole extension? In which case it would be an EICR on it, but if you were selling you house why not get an EICR on the whole house? mine is not to question why, mine is just to do as i am asked sometimes lol

how come there isnt a terminal for the cpc even on mains halogen fire rated downlights when the can is made of metal?? is it cos the terminals are insulated and then sit inside a plastic housing so they are double insulated i.e class 2?

These types of light fittings are Class 2, the outer metalwork is separated from live parts by double or reinforced insulation and should be IEC 60617:Class 2 double square marked.

Reply to cpc in downlight wiring??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock