Search the forum,

Discuss Crimps or wago? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hawk

Though I'd ask what some of you use when extending cables for a consumer unit change. I always would have thought crimps and heat shrink to be the best way, but wago push connectors seem to be not bad. Quicker to use and a better hold on solid core cable (t&e)

Just a rare chance to reply early...it would depend on available space/cost/speed etc Proficiently applied crimps would be a better option if minimum space taken up,was required.

Wago do a DIN rail push in assembly.that can be adapted,tested and marked up with both colours and nomenclature...a nice,professional looking job...but at a cost,as you would have to carry all of what may be needed.

Inspected one a while ago,that looked beautiful,over half of the circuits,in T&E,had been lovingly extended,and heat-shrinked...but further dissection revealed individual conductors had been soldered together in parallels...so,they ALL had to be executed :28:

Are they classed as a maintenance free joint?

...I now cannot read that description,without remembering the demise of the grease nipple...and the subsequent hundreds of holes i have drilled and tapped,to enable fitting one...:winkiss:

Just out of interest, is there a proper maintenance free joint similar to that of a wago connector, crimp or similar that actually carries the MF stamp?

if extending in a cu I use crimps as its a bit neater, but if it's being extended and moved and need to use trunking, I'd use wago connectors as its easier.

i have funnily enough got a job next week where I'll be using a wago din rail enclosure.

Is there anything wrong with using the good old fashioned connector blocks to extend a few conductors within a CU ? [Obviously of the correct current rating for the circuits]. I've done this in the past but always connect both existing and 'extension' cabling through the full length of the connector so both conductors are under two terminal screws.

Is there anything wrong with using the good old fashioned connector blocks to extend a few conductors within a CU ? [Obviously of the correct current rating for the circuits]. I've done this in the past but always connect both existing and 'extension' cabling through the full length of the connector so both conductors are under two terminal screws.

As long as you securely fix the connector blocks and don't leave them flapping loose in the ends of the cables then it's fine.

I always fix them with a self adhesive base and small cable tie, also tucked away behind all the neat wiring out of the way.:smilewinkgrin:

Please forgive an ignorant trainee's question, but what sort of crimp is suitable for connection to solid copper wires found in 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5mm twin and earth? I'm familiar with the methods of crimp termination for fine and thick stranded cable, but not small csa solid.

Please forgive an ignorant trainee's question, but what sort of crimp is suitable for connection to solid copper wires found in 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5mm twin and earth? I'm familiar with the methods of crimp termination for fine and thick stranded cable, but not small csa solid.

Pretty much the ones that have been mentioned in this post. There are quite a few out there, Wago & the one's Tel mentions on post 15.

Pretty much the ones that have been mentioned in this post. There are quite a few out there, Wago & the one's Tel mentions on post 15.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Wagos are not crimp connectors, neither are the splice in-line thingies Tel mentioned.

The original poster asked what people do to extend cables in CUs. The options so far seem to be:

- Wagos
- Spliceline in-line thingies
- connector blocks
- crimps

I'm wondering what sort of crimps are suitable for extending/terminating small cross sectional area solid core cable... in particular, a link/PDF that says that sort of crimp is suitable for that sort of cable. :) A couple of folks (spinlondon and PEG) have said they use crimps. The original poster (Hawk) thinks that Wagos would be "a better hold" than crimped connectors. This shouldn't be an issue if "proficiently applied" (PEG, post #5)... so I'm wondering, what sort of crimps are suitable to achieve this? Are the pre-insulated (red, blue yellow) crimps suitable? I've had a look through some of the technical material on the Klauke and CableCraft websites, and I haven't found a definitive answer (e.g. Technical reports: Crimp types at a glance ). Maybe I've just missed it :)

Reply to Crimps or wago? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock