Discuss Stranded Core Coax in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have had RG11 installed in some flats for use with Virgin/Internet.
It should I think have been RG6 but the guy at Virgin was insistent it should be RG11.

The RG11 has a stranded (not a solid) central conductor.

I need to get an F-type connector on the end.

What’s the best way to do this?

The core doesn’t work it’s way into an F-type (it collapses/separates) so was thinking (to tin the wires) to run some solder on the end of the conductor to bind the strand together (to simulate a solid core) and then push a CableCon F-type connector on to that.

Can anyone see any issues with this approach or better still is there a correct way of terminating a stranded core in an Ftype connector?

Many thanks.

You shouldn't need to tin the core.

Are you using F connectors designed for RG11?

Thanks for the reply Snowhead.

I have the cablecon 7.5 connectors which the Virgin chap said was for RG11.

One type of F connector I have seems to be one where the cable needs to push the pin out (which the stranded core cannot do).

I have another F connector where the pin is already sticking out that seems to need the core to insert into a small cylinder behind the pin. But I can’t be sure all the strands go into the cylinder when i push it together so was thinking to tin the wire…

Is there a specific F connector I should use

Side question…
I am assuming that RG11 with the stranded core has the same properties as RG11 with the solid core and internet will work. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the reply Snowhead.

I have the cablecon 7.5 connectors which the Virgin chap said was for RG11.

One type of F connector I have seems to be one where the cable needs to push the pin out (which the stranded core cannot do).

I have another F connector where the pin is already sticking out that seems to need the core to insert into a small cylinder behind the pin. But I can’t be sure all the strands go into the cylinder when i push it together so was thinking to tin the wire…

Is there a specific F connector I should use

Side question…
I am assuming that RG11 with the stranded core has the same properties as RG11 with the solid core and internet will work. Any thoughts on that?
Sorry should add:
The cable I have is RG11/AU
I have found a crimp on connector:

The supplier says this fits the RG11 cable… better option right?

Just to close this thread off -- the F Crimp Plug for CT167 above works for a stranded conductor RG11 A/U cable.
Mounting is a bit of a pig as the cable is so big/inflexible but can be done with the right tools
There is no need to tin the core - (NASA says you shouldnt crimp to a solid conductor)

Reply to Stranded Core Coax in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net