Discuss **CU Changes And YOU** in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

exceptionally helpful post as this is the thing that i am going to do as my first employment my sibling has two Ccus one part stack one wylex fuseboard and it was carried out by a purported electrical technician. the new ccu is part stack half secured half not.

Just seen this interesting thread, and have in the past put and rcd board in and found out their is a nicked neutral in up/down lighting circuit!
Also have had faults on some bodged in ringmain that trips rcd out, and other than taking it out and putting it on its own non-rcd breaker, because if the house is nicely decorated/laminate floors the client dont want to know!
I have always come to the conclusion, if i have upgraded the earthing ,fitted a new board with rcd protection, normally replacing an old rewirable, even if their is one circuit that isnt rcd protected , its still safer/ better than when i started.
But have always worried, a little, as always assumed that when you fitted a new board, any circuit that you connect to said board is your problem , but have never been sure legality wise, plus if the client dont want the upheavel potentiallly , or normally to pay you extra for fault finding, what ultimatly can you do?

Chaps,

After reading several posts, threads etc about CU changes and what you are responsible for, i thought i would clear a few things up for those that are unsure.

Now, this affects anyone changing a CU to bring an installation up the current standard, which of course is BS7671 2008.

Now, the following are RECOMMENDATIONS and not set it stone, but its what i normally try and do, which can save a lot of time and trouble.

If you have been asked to price and change a CU, for whatever reason, you should ALWAYS carry out a site survey before any costs are discussed.

Now, once onsite consider carrying out the following:

1- Main Earth Bonding.

i) Is main earthing present?
ii) If so, is it adequate?
iii) IF not include this in your quote as this MUST be up to current standards.

2 - Visual Inspection

i) How old does the installation look?
ii) Are there broken accessories?
iii) Is there evidence of any additions or alterations, good or bad?
iv) Ask the client of any known issues or problems in the past.

3 - Quick Basic Check & Tests

i) If convenient, isolate supply and take off the CU cover
ii) Evidence of additions or alterations?
iii) Carry out IR test between Earthing bar & Neutral bar at 250V

If everything looks ok then you are good to go, BUT, whatever happens, make sure you draw up some form of basic contract that highlights the fact that the quote does not include putting anything un-forseen right, and that if there are problems found during or after, then they may need to be rectified at additional cost.

Now, if there are issues with an installation that are not considered unsafe, although not to current BS, (unearthed lighting circuits excluded), you ARE NOT generally required to put these right, although they should be noted on the cert in the correct box.

4 - Certification.

There is a little confusion about what cert should be issued, of course, after a PIR is carried out.

The way i do it is, if i do a CU Change a full installation cert is issued, noting any deviations.

On the same cert any circuit additions or alterations can also be noted, so there is no need to write out multiples.

If you are just altering circuits with no CU change, then a separate minor works must be issued for each circuit altered.

Also, once you have changed a CU, carried out all the tests, you DO NOT become responsible for the entire installation - just the CU change.

This must be noted on the cert & periodic inspection label that MUST be fitted after the change with the words - "CU CHANGE ONLY".

Hope that helps, and if there any E&O's then let me know.

Good luck - As most CU changes need it :D

Thanks jason brilliant post. My only problem is you would hope everyone on here trading would already do this as to be deemed competent at there job

Reply to **CU Changes And YOU** in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net