Discuss Do you have to use capping? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Capping nails or clouts will split plastic capping which is why I always put the point off to the side so that the head of the clout or washer of the capping nail catches the side of the capping. I thought this was how you were supposed to do it? :)

I've not yet use oval conduit but can definitely see the logic. Didn't know it could be easily secured with 16mm clips. Might have to give that a try:thumbsup

Capping nails or clouts will split plastic capping which is why I always put the point off to the side so that the head of the clout or washer of the capping nail catches the side of the capping. I thought this was how you were supposed to do it? :)

I've not yet use oval conduit but can definitely see the logic. Didn't know it could be easily secured with 16mm clips. Might have to give that a try:thumbsup

I agree, the only way, nail outside the capping, with the edge under the washer. Then if you get the nails in the right places, you can take the capping off and put it back, with a bit of dexterity of course.

Never nail through the capping! The only problem is if in a chase, the chase has to be bigger than the capping or the nail is either in the trough of the angle grinder or too near the edge. Oval is better in a chase.

And I try to put the oval end up into the void to make access easier if you need to change the cable.

an alternative to clout nails is to use the nails out of cable clips. these don't split the capping. all depends on how good the mortar is. iv'e often stuck capping in place with a few gobs of bonding.

when i did alot of house bashing never had much trouble with capping splitting only in the cold ,but it was prob alot better quality then!
never understood why people found it sutch hard work capping wires, the number of so called sparks that came from agencys who could not do it was unbelievable! we sent more back than we used,
striaghten cable with palm of hand down to back box, insert cable into back box then cap! nothing more to it!

striaghten cable with palm of hand down to back box, insert cable into back box then cap! nothing more to it!

apart from the nails falling out of rotten mortar, crumbling bricks, cold cable refusing to be straightened, bent nails, hammered fingers, give me ega tube drilled and plugged every time.

always tended to screw and plug at a decent fixing point top and bottom then couple clout nails inbetween to keep it flush back through the middle, tend to use oval mostly and recently due to the additional chasing time to get decent depth cables are being clipped direct.

As a matter of interest, has anyone used these gripper adhesives to fix conduits back to the wall in wall chases etc?? I ask, because that's what the electrical contractor is using on our site, where additions and changes have been made. Seems to work quite well too, dammed if i could shift any of the fixed conduits while out on site.

Though this stuff comes in plain tubes, it looks and smells very much like the stuff you can buy at the DIY sheds in UK, something ''Green'' i think it's called...

apart from the nails falling out of rotten mortar, crumbling bricks, cold cable refusing to be straightened, bent nails, hammered fingers, give me ega tube drilled and plugged every time.

did u once work for me! which agency are u from ? LOL

There are loads of reg concerning cable installation and the main one for cable in plaster would be section 522.5 concerning corrosive or polluting substances........................which is now irrelevant with modern plaster, so cable can be run without additional protection such as capping

As for the use of a trowel and damaging the cable, again you could refer to section 522.8 and other mechanical damage and 522.8.1 in particular, but again mention of capping sheathed cable in a wall is not mentioned, so again it really is your call if you think you want to cap it.

Personally I like to use oval tube to cover the cables, no more reason other, that was the way I was taught to do it, which is not a reg but a personal preference

If you look at a data sheet for Bonding plaster, in the toxicology info right down towards to bottom, it will mention that when wet, bonding plaster has a pH rating of 7 neutral to 13 Alkaline. They are never specific as it very much depends on the origins of the various components. What that means though is, as pH is a logarithmic scale, if the mix is at the higher end of that range, it could be a million times more alkaline than the lower end. That makes it extremely corrosive and it will attack PVC sheath and make it brittle and much more likely to break down in normal conditions. That is why I insist on using capping or oval conduit on a PVC/PVC install: I don`t want any comebacks a few years down the line for the sake of a few quid now.

10 year old thread. I thought Easter was the time for resurrections?

Anyway…. I would have thought tin capping would corrode more than pvc sheath…. And even using capping, some of this highly corrosive mixture will find its way behind and up against the cable.

One of the reasons I actually like working on new builds with little or no solid walls.

Blimey there's a post from Eng54 and it hasn't got exclamation marks in it!!

Reply to Do you have to use capping? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net