Discuss Dodgy EICR (Consumer) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Here is the full story. I have called the company ‘Noname’ but many Londoners would be able to guess who they are. When I go to the journalists and consumer champions with this, I will be naming names. I have reported them to Trading Standards and Westminster Building Control.

I have recently had an experience with an electrician who was not fully qualified in the UK, and who was sent out by a maintenance firm who are NICEIC Affiliated. The work carried out did not resolve the cause of the problem and resulted in unnecessary and unprofessional results. I then needed the NICEIC to mediate.
The maintenance firm I used is Noname. They appear to rely on emergency callouts and charge £88 per hour plus VAT. In my case, they created unnecessary work and therefore additional hours for themselves.
I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with them when my tenant rang them on an emergency callout to my London flat because a circuit kept tripping and the boiler did not work.
Noname sent a charming young Australian ‘electrician’, who turned out to be unqualified in the UK. This gentleman spent some considerable time attempting to diagnose the problem and came up with a solution that not only failed to identify the cause of the problem, it then created hours of unnecessary work.
It turned out that the boiler, having been serviced only two weeks previously, had developed a loose electrical connection. This is something that a competent and qualified electrician should have been able to identify and fix in ten minutes. However, this Australian ‘electrician’ embarked on an elaborate new wiring scheme instead.
As you may know, responsible landlords (I am one, although I only rent out one property) are legally obliged to ensure our electrics are safe and up to date and now there is a requirement for an EICR, a report that checks your electrical installation to give your tenants peace of mind. So, since this ‘electrician’ was there anyway, I asked him to do an EICR, not realising that he was unqualified.
The office at Noname was friendly and helpful and took a card payment of £312 for the EICR. The Australian said he would carry out the report inspection before he did the wiring work to sort out the circuit (which seemed a bit odd to me, but he was most convincing).
I was unable to visit my property as I was abroad, but, by the end of the day, I had been charged £312 for the EICR report on my card and my tenant was asked to pay £501 on his. At the end of day two, the Australian demanded a further £698 which I refused to pay until I had seen the invoice. He signed off his own work and left my tenants without central heating and with a replacement wall socket which used to work but now didn’t.
So, almost £1200 later, not including the price of the EICR, the Australian hadn’t fixed the problem and he had created a new one.
I was already beginning to smell a rat and I started to ask questions. It turned out the Australian had some vague Australian qualifications which, despite my request, Noname did not send me. It appears that this gentleman had done a three-day City & Guilds course in the UK. He had only been in the UK since August 2020.

The Australian had messed up my electrical installation AFTER having done the EICR, so the report was never going to be worth the paper it was written on. The trunking he installed was about as incongruous as it could possibly be.
The EICR Report turned up a few days later. It was frightening how ‘potentially dangerous’ my electrical installation was. It was full of C2 codes. According to the Australian, I needed a new consumer unit. As soon as I could get to my property (the November lockdown had intervened), I had another, independent and fully qualified electrician check the report (not an NICEIC electrician). The C2 codes turned out to be unnecessary. My electrical installation was absolutely fine as I had had it upgraded a few years ago. There was nothing unsafe about it and all that was needed was for me to upgrade some bathroom lights.
However, none of this was before I had turned to the NICEIC. I had spent time filling out their complaints form. They said they would not be involved in the financial side of any dispute. They were only interested in getting the problem solved. I asked them for an independent check on my system. They replied only that I MUST have the contractor back who did the work so it could be remedied by them. Also, I MUST NOT change the work in any way. They point blank refused to mediate.
The NICEIC did, however, concede that there were ‘issues’ with the EICR Report but, again, suggested I had the contractor back to remedy them.
I could not agree to expose myself to further incompetence, dishonesty and outrageous prices. Noname had taken £501 from my former tenant and formally invoiced him for £637.20, which he of course refuses to pay and so do I. Noname is pursuing my tenant relentlessly. Fortunately for the tenant, he was on secondment in the UK and is no longer in the country. So instead, Noname are threatening me with legal action for an invoice which is not in my name. I am trying to get my money back from them for the invalid EICR and they are refusing to refund me.
It also turned out that the Australian’s elaborate wiring scheme was illegal. This was confirmed when an independent electrician, affiliated to a different professional trade association, came to look at the problem. He was astonished that the NICEIC were treating this case so lightly.
This is a sad state of affairs. We need to be confident that electricians, whether working on their own account or for general maintenance companies, are qualified and competent.
We are talking ELECTRICS here. They can be dangerous. Has Grenfell Tower taught us nothing?
My recommendation:
Think twice before using NICEIC affiliated electricians and if you do, ensure you check their qualifications thoroughly.

The NICEIC appear to be only interested in taking subscriptions. They seem to be disinterested in the quality of the workmanship of their members, nor for the safety of the general public. If my case is typical, it appears that NICEIC members may be unqualified and member companies are apparently able to send out unqualified operatives.
My further recommendation is not to trust Noname’good reviews on Trustpilot. On examination, the positive ones seem to have been written by the same person.
I have been really blown away by all your comments and help. Thank you. One thing that none of you commented on was the price per hour Noname charge. Are any of you charging as much as £88 + VAT? For London, what is a reasonable rate for a competent electrician.

round here £40/hour is average. London ?? when you add congestion charges, parking charges and the fact that down south prices are high anyway, £88 is not too far out. i know of 1 company charges over £200

£88+vat an hour sounds relatively cheap (depending on exact location/congestion charge/parking etc) for an hours job in London. Not so cheap if it was charged at that rate for a whole day.

Are any of you charging as much as £88 + VAT? For London, what is a reasonable rate for a competent electrician.
I'm not London based anymore... so I don't charge anywhere near that. The pricing model for London will generally be "whatever we can get away with". What makes it an expensive place to operate in is the parking cost (both per minute + penalties) and the travel time. £88+vat does not seem particularly 'outrageous' to me... just 'extortionate'.

Here is the full story. I have called the company ‘Noname’ but many Londoners would be able to guess who they are. When I go to the journalists and consumer champions with this, I will be naming names. I have reported them to Trading Standards and Westminster Building Control.

I have recently had an experience with an electrician who was not fully qualified in the UK, and who was sent out by a maintenance firm who are NICEIC Affiliated. The work carried out did not resolve the cause of the problem and resulted in unnecessary and unprofessional results. I then needed the NICEIC to mediate.
The maintenance firm I used is Noname. They appear to rely on emergency callouts and charge £88 per hour plus VAT. In my case, they created unnecessary work and therefore additional hours for themselves.
I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with them when my tenant rang them on an emergency callout to my London flat because a circuit kept tripping and the boiler did not work.
Noname sent a charming young Australian ‘electrician’, who turned out to be unqualified in the UK. This gentleman spent some considerable time attempting to diagnose the problem and came up with a solution that not only failed to identify the cause of the problem, it then created hours of unnecessary work.
It turned out that the boiler, having been serviced only two weeks previously, had developed a loose electrical connection. This is something that a competent and qualified electrician should have been able to identify and fix in ten minutes. However, this Australian ‘electrician’ embarked on an elaborate new wiring scheme instead.
As you may know, responsible landlords (I am one, although I only rent out one property) are legally obliged to ensure our electrics are safe and up to date and now there is a requirement for an EICR, a report that checks your electrical installation to give your tenants peace of mind. So, since this ‘electrician’ was there anyway, I asked him to do an EICR, not realising that he was unqualified.
The office at Noname was friendly and helpful and took a card payment of £312 for the EICR. The Australian said he would carry out the report inspection before he did the wiring work to sort out the circuit (which seemed a bit odd to me, but he was most convincing).
I was unable to visit my property as I was abroad, but, by the end of the day, I had been charged £312 for the EICR report on my card and my tenant was asked to pay £501 on his. At the end of day two, the Australian demanded a further £698 which I refused to pay until I had seen the invoice. He signed off his own work and left my tenants without central heating and with a replacement wall socket which used to work but now didn’t.
So, almost £1200 later, not including the price of the EICR, the Australian hadn’t fixed the problem and he had created a new one.
I was already beginning to smell a rat and I started to ask questions. It turned out the Australian had some vague Australian qualifications which, despite my request, Noname did not send me. It appears that this gentleman had done a three-day City & Guilds course in the UK. He had only been in the UK since August 2020.

The Australian had messed up my electrical installation AFTER having done the EICR, so the report was never going to be worth the paper it was written on. The trunking he installed was about as incongruous as it could possibly be.
The EICR Report turned up a few days later. It was frightening how ‘potentially dangerous’ my electrical installation was. It was full of C2 codes. According to the Australian, I needed a new consumer unit. As soon as I could get to my property (the November lockdown had intervened), I had another, independent and fully qualified electrician check the report (not an NICEIC electrician). The C2 codes turned out to be unnecessary. My electrical installation was absolutely fine as I had had it upgraded a few years ago. There was nothing unsafe about it and all that was needed was for me to upgrade some bathroom lights.
However, none of this was before I had turned to the NICEIC. I had spent time filling out their complaints form. They said they would not be involved in the financial side of any dispute. They were only interested in getting the problem solved. I asked them for an independent check on my system. They replied only that I MUST have the contractor back who did the work so it could be remedied by them. Also, I MUST NOT change the work in any way. They point blank refused to mediate.
The NICEIC did, however, concede that there were ‘issues’ with the EICR Report but, again, suggested I had the contractor back to remedy them.
I could not agree to expose myself to further incompetence, dishonesty and outrageous prices. Noname had taken £501 from my former tenant and formally invoiced him for £637.20, which he of course refuses to pay and so do I. Noname is pursuing my tenant relentlessly. Fortunately for the tenant, he was on secondment in the UK and is no longer in the country. So instead, Noname are threatening me with legal action for an invoice which is not in my name. I am trying to get my money back from them for the invalid EICR and they are refusing to refund me.
It also turned out that the Australian’s elaborate wiring scheme was illegal. This was confirmed when an independent electrician, affiliated to a different professional trade association, came to look at the problem. He was astonished that the NICEIC were treating this case so lightly.
This is a sad state of affairs. We need to be confident that electricians, whether working on their own account or for general maintenance companies, are qualified and competent.
We are talking ELECTRICS here. They can be dangerous. Has Grenfell Tower taught us nothing?
My recommendation:
Think twice before using NICEIC affiliated electricians and if you do, ensure you check their qualifications thoroughly.

The NICEIC appear to be only interested in taking subscriptions. They seem to be disinterested in the quality of the workmanship of their members, nor for the safety of the general public. If my case is typical, it appears that NICEIC members may be unqualified and member companies are apparently able to send out unqualified operatives.
My further recommendation is not to trust Noname’good reviews on Trustpilot. On examination, the positive ones seem to have been written by the same person.
It would be interesting to see how some of these "media consumer champions" (Watchdog, Rip of Britain, Which ) would handle and respond to your experience when they always peddle and promote the use an NICEIC electricians as some sort of reassurance

It's because the whole EICR system is seen as either a box ticking exercise or as a sales tool to increase business. Only when we see people kicked out of competent persons schemes or prosecuted/deported will we see an increase in the standard.

At the risk of sounding old... this is all part of the modern world... certificates are issued for all sorts of things... and the vast majority of them mean nothing !!

It's the same with qualifications... within a few years every school leaver will be given grade As !
The fact that competent doesn't necessarily mean skilled is where all these schemes fall short,
The schemes and primarily the NICEIC rely on the media promoting the myth that they are the guardians of finding a qualified electrician to carry out work to a high standard, when the reality is totally different

The whole industry has radically changed in the last 15 years people believe a regs exam and a 2391 ticket is all they need to hit the road and do EICR's and it's all backed up by these so called competent persons schemes as we plummet to the bottom

IMO the reason the NICEIC resist complaints is it upsets their ISO 9000 quality assurance and puts a black mark in their records as in most of the QA systems there should be no complaints
The modern business model seems to be to insert yourself between a product and a market and, with the help of the government, regulate the supply of the product and mandate its supply.

The regulation was, and still is, unnecessary, nobody wants it, nobody is interested in implementation.

The only interested party is the middle man, and he's only interested in collecting the fees
Since 2005 the industry seems to have spawned a lot of parasitic baggage that seems to run the show without any regulation and no one to answer to.

I was recently looking into the competent person scheme regulation and there doesn't seem to be any formal procedure for raising a complaint about a CPS provider with the government dept concerned or the people they appointed to oversee and approve the CP schemes

IMO the reason the NICEIC resist complaints is it upsets their ISO 9000 quality assurance and puts a black mark in their records as in most of the QA systems there should be no complaints
This is where a lot of ISO accredited companies fall down, they believe complaints will leave a black mark against them.

Having met several auditors and been involved in the process it's how you act on your complaints, not that you receive any.

ISO is about process, I would actually be more suspicious of companies with no complaints as either they are really good and don't make mistakes or actually cover them up...

This is where a lot of ISO accredited companies fall down, they believe complaints will leave a black mark against them.

Having met several auditors and been involved in the process it's how you act on your complaints, not that you receive any.

ISO is about process, I would actually be more suspicious of companies with no complaints as either they are really good and don't make mistakes or actually cover them up...
ISO 9000 / BS5750 led a lot of companies up the garden path to some utopia that has never existed, quality assurance was totally the wrong name for it and some of those that went through the mill to gain recognition thought they were turning out a quality product when all it was about was turning out a product within the parameters laid down in their manual

ISO 9000 / BS5750 led a lot of companies up the garden path to some utopia that has never existed, quality assurance was totally the wrong name for it and some of those that went through the mill to gain recognition thought they were turning out a quality product when all it was about was turning out a product within the parameters laid down in their manual
Having been involved with setting up ISO9000 'systems' I agree... it's largely a charade.

If the original electrician is registered with NICEIC it may be as a domestic installer only, which meanss he may not be able to cary out EICRs under the scheme rules (basically using their certification),however that does not preclude him from carrying out EICRs under his own banner ,using his own PI insurance if he has the prerequisite qualifications (C&G2391) I think it’s unlikely that he is unqualified as membership hinges on certain basic qualifications, more likely he doesn't have EICRs as part of his scheme membership.
I thought that any competent person can carry out an eicr and dose not have to be a qualified electrician.

I thought that any competent person can carry out an eicr and dose not have to be a qualified electrician.
Technically true, but it depends on who is ordering the EICR. Letting agents, for example, will likely only choose someone who is on a list such as the NICEIC list.
And as has been mentioned, a much higher level of competency is demanded when carrying out an EICR. Knowing how to install to the regulations is one thing - being able to use all of one's senses, skills and experience to inspect and test an installation which may have undergone many changes (good and horribly bad) over several years, is quite another.

Another shambolic and atrocious EICR, I'm afraid that around 70% of the ones I see these days are of a similar standard, it seems a popular tactic to invent as many C2s as possible which can all be cured by a new CU, of course the made up test results will just be transferred to the EIC saving time and increasing profits at the same time. Although one recent 'post EICR' quote sent to me for comments for an 8 way RCBO board and replacement bathroom light also included supply of a Minor Works cert upon completion ?! And all for the bargain price of £850 + VAT. ? This was from a NA### member firm, but anyway I've got the job now, it'll be done right for a lot less than £1020 !!

You're not based in London are you? Which electrician did you use in the end? And how did you find him? I could do with a fair electrician to fit a rcbo consumer unit and bring my flat to an eicr pass. I ve been variously quoted £750 inc and £650ex vat including an eicr test. The quotes were based on prior vis inspections. Are these prices unreasonable. They seem quite expensive to me.

You're not based in London are you? Which electrician did you use in the end? And how did you find him? I could do with a fair electrician to fit a rcbo consumer unit and bring my flat to an eicr pass. I ve been variously quoted £750 inc and £650ex vat including an eicr test. The quotes were based on prior vis inspections. Are these prices unreasonable. They seem quite expensive to me.
For London, and what’s been said before, that’s not bad. A portion of that quote will be materials, so at the aforementioned £88 per hour, he’s maybe falling short on the number of hours he’s going to take.

For London, and what’s been said before, that’s not bad. A portion of that quote will be materials, so at the aforementioned £88 per hour, he’s maybe falling short on the number of hours he’s going to take

Well i stand informed :-/, thankyou.
There are 2 different electricians, both of which are experienced and i feel, competent, although one speaks in technical gobbledegook and " doesn't have time to educate me".
I'm trying negotiate with the 2nd buts hes avoiding me. I guess he reckons time will pressure me into accepting his orig quote.

I estimate materials metal cons unit ~£50, rcbo and fuses £5x10 (seen online). Call it £150inc vat + getting it The rest is labour. So that works out at £66/ circuit to unscrew a cable from one unit and screw into another, test their and say 12 sockets continuity, mark up a form, email it to me.

The problem.with the fellow's quote is what i want it a clear EICR form in my hand, that is one done with necessary corrections. We both expect any extra work if any to be minor, but you never know. His quote is to fit the consumer unit and do the test. That is if he id any additional problems on the form it goes and an estate agent will want it corrected and restested, according circulating rumours.

As hes not communicating now, i'm left in a difficult. Accept and leave myself open to ransom. Refuse and potentially go through similar with another electrician.

Its seems theres no standard of practice. Thats not to say either of electricians who've quoted are dodgy. But i the punter am having to go through a system of what ought to fundamentals in supply if a service, but are turning into sticking points. Perhaps there should be a common standard of customer service, overseen by BEIS or the Dept for Energy. That is:

prices quoted should include to completion of work incl fixes for id'd and additional small newly id'd problems.

Work should be conducted so that a premis/ property is left in an condition another competent electrician would find no faults.

In the event any fault is identified in a persons work or paperwork, he will fix it with 2 weeks of being notified, unless dangerous in which case within 1 day.

Additional there shd be a guidance chart automatically updated to average unit cost / materials across a number of common suppliers( computers can do this these days)

And by constituency:
Average length of job
Average labour rate
Average call out charge

These figures wouldn't regulate down the prices, but by visibility would allow customers to know when they're being scr'd or when they're simply facing the going rate, no matter uncomfortable it is ;-)

Last edited:
I estimate materials metal cons unit ~£50, rcbo and fuses £5x10 (seen online). Call it £150inc vat + getting it The rest is labour. So that works out at £66/ circuit to unscrew a cable from one unit and screw into another, test the continuity, mark up a form, email it to me.

Materials costs depend on manufacturer, and I can assure you they are not all equal, some cheap brands really are also nasty and take longer to install.

There is also a bit more to it than unscrewing a cable from one unit and into another. I for one would be somewhat unhappy if that is how you put it to me, I wouldn't be "negotiating" as you mentioned, but walking away and letting you find someone cheap enough.

cheapest rcd split board, possibly proteus from CEF. They have pre populated boards, but maybe not with an SPD.
might have to swap out certain sizes of breaker. £100 ish for materials.
Rcbo board, as above... £30+ per breaker, never mind the empty board.

electricians like to fit what they choose. That way we know we can give a warranty safe knowing the materials won’t be at fault.
fitting customer supplied stuff can get complicated when it goes wrong.
Buying cheap tat, esp from eBay, you could get a fake device that doesn’t work as it should.

I’m in a relatively cheap part of the country, and I would struggle to change a board for under £500, on the strength of a visual inspection.

working with electricity is as safety critical as working with gas or the brakes on your car, and you wouldn’t think twice about paying for those..... or would you?

from post #53:

te materials metal cons unit ~£50, rcbo and fuses £5x10 (seen online). Call it £150inc vat +

what planet are you on? RCBOs are around £25 each. you probably need somewhere between 6 and 10 of these. and where do fuses come in?

Well i stand informed :-/, thankyou.
There are 2 different electricians, both of which are experienced and i feel, competent, although one speaks in technical gobbledegook and " doesn't have time to educate me".
I'm trying negotiate with the 2nd buts hes avoiding me. I guess he reckons time will pressure me into accepting his orig quote.

I estimate materials metal cons unit ~£50, rcbo and fuses £5x10 (seen online). Call it £150inc vat + getting it The rest is labour. So that works out at £66/ circuit to unscrew a cable from one unit and screw into another, test their and say 12 sockets continuity, mark up a form, email it to me.

The problem.with the fellow's quote is what i want it a clear EICR form in my hand, that is one done with necessary corrections. We both expect any extra work if any to be minor, but you never know. His quote is to fit the consumer unit and do the test. That is if he id any additional problems on the form it goes and an estate agent will want it corrected and restested, according circulating rumours.

As hes not communicating now, i'm left in a difficult. Accept and leave myself open to ransom. Refuse and potentially go through similar with another electrician.

Its seems theres no standard of practice. Thats not to say either of electricians who've quoted are dodgy. But i the punter am having to go through a system of what ought to fundamentals in supply if a service, but are turning into sticking points. Perhaps there should be a common standard of customer service, overseen by BEIS or the Dept for Energy. That is:

prices quoted should include to completion of work incl fixes for id'd and additional small newly id'd problems.

Work should be conducted so that a premis/ property is left in an condition another competent electrician would find no faults.

In the event any fault is identified in a persons work or paperwork, he will fix it with 2 weeks of being notified, unless dangerous in which case within 1 day.

Additional there shd be a guidance chart automatically updated to average unit cost / materials across a number of common suppliers( computers can do this these days)

And by constituency:
Average length of job
Average labour rate
Average call out charge

These figures wouldn't regulate down the prices, but by visibility would allow customers to know when they're being scr'd or when they're simply facing the going rate, no matter uncomfortable it is ;-)
I don't know what your line of work is and whether you have customers that forensically analyse what they think they should pay for the products and / or services you supply but with that in mind I would suggest you put yourself in the position of the electrician(s) who have quoted you for the work and then read what you have posted then decide how you would react then you may understand what the problem is, personally I would probably just walk away and not communicate with you

To the OP, I think what you need is a "JCT Small Works Contract" that would give you overall control of contractor and would give the contractor the benefit of payment for additional works found during the fit out, perhaps both of you would be satisfied, personally I would walk away.

Reply to Dodgy EICR (Consumer) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock