Discuss Eicr coding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Doing a test the other day and found a couple of metal light switches no earth to faceplate just to back box but both lugs were fixed.
What code do you reckon I'm saying 3 but it's a 2 minute job anyway to rectify. Can't recall seeing it before though
Cheers

True but gotta find some faults for my money !

I find it's better to tell the customer there were a few very minor faults that have been rectified.
The faults you mention are not worth the time, effort and ink to note it down plus the time to open a what code debate on here

Last edited:
No code.. Aslong as there is one fixed lug no code required, faceplate cant be taken off until isolated, not to say i wouldnt tell the customer and refer to any manufacturers instruction.

No code.. Aslong as there is one fixed lug no code required, faceplate cant be taken off until isolated, not to say i wouldnt tell the customer and refer to any manufacturers instruction.

How do you know a switch is safely isolated with out removing it from the box?

Quote Bigspark "No code.. Aslong as there is one fixed lug no code required, faceplate cant be taken off until isolated, not to say i wouldnt tell the customer and refer to any manufacturers instruction."

How do you know a switch is safely isolated with out removing it from the box?

You dont without removing testing but how many metal clad consumer units,switch fuses grid switches etc use this method to earth the faceplate. Personaly I earth all metal switches with a flylead but its belt and braces.
Most manufacturers instructions recomend "earthing"

bollox. the faceplate must be earthed. a fly lead to the box is optional.

Im not saying i wouldnt put a fly earth lead to it as i 100% would but to fail this on a eicr you must put a reg no aggainst it.! Exacly db covers grid faceplates are good examples

Im not saying i wouldnt put a fly earth lead to it as i 100% would but to fail this on a eicr you must put a reg no aggainst it.! Exacly db covers grid faceplates are good examples

Neither of which ususally have any live terminals on them, therefore becoming just a piece of metal once removed. Unlike the switch which the OP asked about.

C2 as 2 faults could cause the metal to become live and create a dangerous situation. Not got the regs too hand right now though.

As I understand it, the back box does not require a fly-lead if the back box has a fixed lug. My preference is to fit one anyway.
However, the faceplate/grid yolk should be earthed - you cant rely on the fixed lug to earth the switch assembly from the back box via the fixing screw.

As I understand it, the back box does not require a fly-lead if the back box has a fixed lug. My preference is to fit one anyway.
However, the faceplate/grid yolk should be earthed - you cant rely on the fixed lug to earth the switch assembly from the back box via the fixing screw.

You seem to contradict yourself there. We are not talking about prefrences im sure all members on hete would earth it but were talking eicr coding which need to ref facts and regs

Reply to Eicr coding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock