Discuss EV motorcycle guy in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I will I will,, I said I've emailed the manufactorer for the official specs, but it has been a Sunday here in the UK, and well...

The point I'm trying to make is that you don't need the exact data from the manufacturer of one charging system, you need an idea of the typical output from a motorcycle charging system. This way you can see if it is anywhere near the current you need.

This will save you waiting for a manufacturer to reply, which may take longer than normal with things as they are.

Also,do some research into the difference between Amps and Amp Hours. This will help you understand figures that you are seeing.

The point I'm trying to make is that you don't need the exact data from the manufacturer of one charging system, you need an idea of the typical output from a motorcycle charging system. This way you can see if it is anywhere near the current you need.

This will save you waiting for a manufacturer to reply, which may take longer than normal with things as they are.

Also,do some research into the difference between Amps and Amp Hours. This will help you understand figures that you are seeing.
Ah OK yeah,

As for the difference between Amps and Amp hours,,, ANYONE CARE TO ENLIGHTEN ME PLZ TIA
[automerge]1587372712[/automerge]
Ah OK yeah,

As for the difference between Amps and Amp hours,,, ANYONE CARE TO ENLIGHTEN ME PLZ TIA
Ok so I'm not having much luck with actual specs from engines, probably using the rwrong search term

But this guy says this :
[automerge]1587372982[/automerge]
Ah OK yeah,

[automerge]1587372712[/automerge]

Ok so I'm not having much luck with actual specs from engines, probably using the rwrong search term

But this guy says this :
So he's saying he has 400v... Which is followed up by some other guy calculating that it's at 28A

For my (theoretical) motor it is a 72v motor

As a electric mathematic dunce... Can I then say

(400v ÷ 72v) X 28a ///// 5.55 x 28 = 155. 55

Or is that just nonsense?
[automerge]1587373066[/automerge]

[automerge]1587373274[/automerge]

[automerge]1587373388[/automerge]
In the measurement of electricity, amps are a unit of electrical current; amp-hours are units of current storage capacity. ... An Amp-Hour is a more abstract idea, multiplying an amount of current by a period of time: one AH is defined as an amp of current flowing for one hour.
1587373380103.png

Sciencing - https://sciencing.com › relationship-...
What Is the Relationship Between Amps & AH? - Sciencing
[automerge]1587373465[/automerge]
In the measurement of electricity, amps are a unit of electrical current; amp-hours are units of current storage capacity. ... An Amp-Hour is a more abstract idea, multiplying an amount of current by a period of time: one AH is defined as an amp of current flowing for one hour.
1587373380103.png

Sciencing - https://sciencing.com › relationship-...
What Is the Relationship Between Amps & AH? - Sciencing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200420_094953_com.android.chrome.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20200420_095005_com.android.chrome.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20200417_043908.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20200417_044921_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20200420_100008.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Please would someone knowledgeable tell me if it can be done and why not and what would be needed to make it work

Just tell me ?

I can't say whether that calculation is nonsense or not, since I don't know what it is trying to calculate or what the units are.

But, your motor takes 130 Amps in normal running. Do you expect to be able to take that amount of current directly from the motorcycle charging system? I am pretty confident the answer is no.

The screenshot which mentions alternator output is presumably referring to a car's alternator? And even this is showing a maximum output of around 30A.

I can't say whether that calculation is nonsense or not, since I don't know what it is trying to calculate or what the units are.

But, your motor takes 130 Amps in normal running. Do you expect to be able to take that amount of current directly from the motorcycle charging system? I am pretty confident the answer is no.

The screenshot which mentions alternator output is presumably referring to a car's alternator? And even this is showing a maximum output of around 30A.
I found this guy (short video)

View: https://youtu.be/JqE-Qw0PfF0

I'm not thinking about the bikes charging system, I would side load a 12v regulator to charge the battery and power the lights

I really don't want to get involved with this thread... but just so that I understand what you're trying to do... am I correct in thinking that:

Whereas a 'normal' motorcycle will use a petrol engine to create rotational motion, which is then transferred, via a chain, to a wheel to produce linear drive along a road...

You want to use the petrol engine to produce electricity that will be used to power an electric motor that's attached to the wheel ???

And that you believe, without doing any calculations, or even knowing the difference between an Amp and an Amp Hour, that this 'upgrade' will give some benefit, such as more efficiency, drivability, 'green-ness' etc ???

Haven't watched the video yet. I don't understand your point about side loading a regulator. Where is the power for the motor coming from?
The spark is taken off the stator, it does this at the stator and has a separate connection for the cdi/coil/spark

Side load,,, so normally the stator is connected to a regulator for 14.5v

I need this to charge the bikes 12v battery and lights

But I'm guessing I can run two regulators, a 12v and a 72v in parallel

The spark is taken off the stator, it does this at the stator and has a separate connection for the cdi/coil/spark

Side load,,, so normally the stator is connected to a regulator for 14.5v

I need this to charge the bikes 12v battery and lights

But I'm guessing I can run two regulators, a 12v and a 72v in parallel

I'll ask again. Are you wanting to power thr electric motor from the output of the bike's charging system? And do you expect it to provide 130 Amps?

Sorry,

I'll ask again. Are you wanting to power thr electric motor from the output of the bike's charging system? And do you expect it to provide 130 Amps?
Sorry,

Yes... And no

Because of the battery advised I was thinking along the lines of 80.... A... AH (?)
[automerge]1587404237[/automerge]
Sorry,

Sorry,

Yes... And no

Because of the battery advised I was thinking along the lines of 80.... A... AH (?)
My main limiting factor is the 10kw motor,

11kw being the legal limit for the A1 class of motorcycle ( 125cc/learner legal/L plates)

Your main limiting factor is the current available from the bike electrical system I would say.
Ok, quick Google tells me

Current = voltage ÷ resistance

So what, just having 72v plugged in ( using a 72v regulator between the engine stator and the EV control unit isn't enough (?)

These Amps then, I can have 72v but not enough Amps?

Both are crucial but not striktly* link in provision (?)

Ok, quick Google tells me

Current = voltage ÷ resistance

So what, just having 72v plugged in ( using a 72v regulator between the engine stator and the EV control unit isn't enough (?)

These Amps then, I can have 72v but not enough Amps?

Both are crucial but not striktly* link in provision (?)

I think you are beginning to see the problem.

I think you are beginning to see the problem.
Well, I'm seeing it being said to me

You're suggesting maybe that the Amps will be too low

.... How does one calculate Amps? Or better yet how do I increase the Amps

Would more coils in the stator generate what I want

Normal coil has 3 maybe 6 ccoils I forget off the top of my head but I know I can upgrade the stator with more coils, I fact replace

Well, I'm seeing it being said to me

You're suggesting maybe that the Amps will be too low

.... How does one calculate Amps?

You can't really calculate the output. Have you done any research on the typical output current of a motorbike charging system?

You can't really calculate the output. Have you done any research on the typical output current of a motorbike charging system?
All I've managed to find regarding it was that video, and still waiting for the respnce of the bike manufactorer (of my bike)

I hope to get what I need from them

Originally I hoped someone would say : nah that's engine in place of engine onto EV controller) not possible because...

But I guess, like I've been hoping it's possible as long as the circumstances are right

So if I had the right voltage but not enough Amps, what would it do for the electric motor?

All I've managed to find regarding it was that video, and still waiting for the respnce of the bike manufactorer (of my bike)

I hope to get what I need from them

Originally I hoped someone would say : nah that's engine in place of engine onto EV controller) not possible because...

But I guess, like I've been hoping it's possible as long as the circumstances are right

So if I had the right voltage but not enough Amps, what would it do for the electric motor?

Your solution is: batteries. This how the motorcycle and car industry do it now with their hybrid vehicles. Engine/batteries/motor.

Being the bright spark I've stolen this off Google or someone
[automerge]1587414018[/automerge]
I can estimate 70v, and what...? Ohms because of... The thickness of the wires, condition and structure

Attachments

• unnamed.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 1
[automerge]1587414018[/automerge]

I can estimate 70v, and what...? Ohms because of... The thickness of the wires, condition and structure

That's Ohms Law. It will not help you get more current out of a charging system.

Right, here's something to try. Flatten your motorcycle battery (not fully though or you will damage it). Now, connect it to your bike and use a suitable meter (possibly clamp type) to check the charge current flowing into the battery.

Report back with your findings.

Reply to EV motorcycle guy in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net