Discuss EV motorcycle guy in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Alexander

DIY
Reaction score
Simply a motorbike guy who's totally itching to do a cost affective EV conversion on motorcycles,, ahead of the trend...

EV motorcycles do exist but ar few and expensive.

If more people take the challenge and do EV conversions product usage should become noticeable and perhaps will drive packages that are more easily sourced and become common knowledge amoungst the public

So EV conversion But with a twist,,

Hybrid, using the existing petrol engine to supply power directly to a Electric motor Wheel Hub

Alowing normal usage and range...

Simply a motorbike guy who's totally itching to do a cost affective EV conversion on motorcycles,, ahead of the trend...

EV motorcycles do exist but ar few and expensive.

If more people take the challenge and do EV conversions product usage should become noticeable and perhaps will drive packages that are more easily sourced and become common knowledge amoungst the public

So EV conversion But with a twist,,

Hybrid, using the existing petrol engine to supply power directly to a Electric motor Wheel Hub

Alowing normal usage and range...

Personally on a bike I would just go full electric. Saves over complication, weight and servicing costs.

Personally on a bike I would just go full electric. Saves over complication, weight and servicing costs.
That's a fair point regarding the cost of servicing ()

I don't know the figures but i would argue the weight of the engine would be similar to that of the batteries (?), I feel the success for this project is the limitless range... Using petrol stations naturally.

Thanks for commenting.

Any thoughts about the eclrical output side of the engine? Is it possible?

That's a fair point regarding the cost of servicing ()

I don't know the figures but i would argue the weight of the engine would be similar to that of the batteries (?), I feel the success for this project is the limitless range... Using petrol stations naturally.

Thanks for commenting.

Any thoughts about the electrical output side of the engine? Is it possible?

I watch a YouTuber called Louis Rossmann who uses a Bfang electric motor to power his mountain bike around New York City. A Bfang motor on some sort of peddle bike would be a good place to start as the frame would be lighter than that of a motorbike. It would probably be more cost effective (and perhaps easier) to knock out and sell bespoke powered bicycles than motorbikes.

Where all electric vehicles fall down is if they're driven in hilly areas as there's no way around the rise in power use to overcome gravity. I don't think it's worth perusing the hybrid route as the whole point of everything going electric is to avoid fossil fuel use in general to cut down air pollution. The best way to use fossil fuels is directly in a combustion engine, as it has so much going for it! It's extremely energy dense for it's size and weight and as you drive and fuel is burned, your vehicle becomes lighter! Add to that we have a supply chain for the stuff just about everywhere and it's simple to fill up with more, anything else is going to be a faff.

The most fun thing I've seen is compressed air powered vehicles but they'll be extremely niche and you'll end up with the range anxiety problem that electric vehicles currently suffer from; unless we had a system like petrol forcourts set up to supply compressed air and then comes the problem of electricity needing to be generated to make compressors compress the air in the first place, would it be a mix of renewables and nuclear power supplying the compressors? So many things to ponder eh?

I watch a YouTuber called Louis Rossmann who uses a Bfang electric motor to power his mountain bike around New York City. A Bfang motor on some sort of peddle bike would be a good place to start as the frame would be lighter than that of a motorbike. It would probably be more cost effective (and perhaps easier) to knock out and sell bespoke powered bicycles than motorbikes.

Where all electric vehicles fall down is if they're driven in hilly areas as there's no way around the rise in power use to overcome gravity. I don't think it's worth perusing the hybrid route as the whole point of everything going electric is to avoid fossil fuel use in general to cut down air pollution. The best way to use fossil fuels is directly in a combustion engine, as it has so much going for it! It's extremely energy dense for it's size and weight and as you drive and fuel is burned, your vehicle becomes lighter! Add to that we have a supply chain for the stuff just about everywhere and it's simple to fill up with more, anything else is going to be a faff.

The most fun thing I've seen is compressed air powered vehicles but they'll be extremely niche and you'll end up with the range anxiety problem that electric vehicles currently suffer from; unless we had a system like petrol forcourts set up to supply compressed air and then comes the problem of electricity needing to be generated to make compressors compress the air in the first place, would it be a mix of renewables and nuclear power supplying the compressors? So many things to ponder eh?
Yes, isn't compressed air available at all petrol stations?

Pedal bikes are not in the breif, nor is production

I'm in the forum to ask advice on electrical output of combustion engines and hoping to confirm a similarity to battery discharge /supply.

So two goals,

Can it be done, mating the two forms together using the existing stock of EV componants.

And to narrow down the required EV components from the miriad listed on AliExpress so that others could follow.

Two plusses for this is the goal to use Less petrol and at the same time improve power to road

If a 125cc engine can produce enough power equivilant to a 600-1000cc bike at a fraction of petrol usage its a winner in my book.

* the question if got : can the stator output of an engine directly replace a Lithium battery for power supply to a EV unit as shown in my posts images *

-would it need some kind of converter? Perhaps

- could the EV unit tolerate a low voltage and increasing voltage,,, in comparison to the stable battery

Thanks for you interest
[automerge]1587280200[/automerge]
Once had an electric moped with paddles on but looked like a ped, did about 20mph and 100 miles on a charge, was pretty fun, and cheap second hand

Ps @Edtwozeronine beanus ?
Thanks

Any chance you have a strong knowledge of motorcycle stators or stators in general theory?

Last edited:
Your question seems to be about replacing the batteries. Do you mean not using batteries at all? The bike stator output is only suitable for charging the battery etc. Its not going to power an electric motor big enough to drive the bike.

If you aren't using batteries then all you are doing is adding an energy conversion stage, ie. Petrol engine to electric motor. Which will involve losses.

Last edited:
Fuel consumption versus power output would be massively different and not cost effective. It would be easier and cheaper to just go full electric with batteries.

Your question seems to be about replacing the batteries. Do you mean not using batteries at all? The bike stator output is only suitable for charging the battery etc. Its not going to power an electric motor big enough to drive the bike.

If you aren't using batteries then all you are doing is adding an energy conversion stage, ie. Petrol engine to electric motor. Which will involve losses.
Yes, you've understood that right

My bike limits its power to the battery to 14.5v

But what actually comes out of the stator is said to be 70-80v which is just enough to power a pretty pwerfull electric motor

See the photos that I put with the original post plz

If the numbers do fit, I'm hoping it's a simple case of wiring the engine in as if it were a battery, rev the engine to the required output then off it goes

Yes, you've understood that right

My bike limits its power to the battery to 14.5v

But what actually comes out of the stator is said to be 70-80v which is just enough to power a pretty pwerfull electric motor

See the photos that I put with the original post plz

If the numbers do fit, I'm hoping it's a simple case of wiring the engine in as if it were a battery, rev the engine to the required output then off it goes

Question for you: what is the maximum output current available from the stator? 2nd question: is it sufficient to power the motor?

Don't worry too much about the voltage.

Uhm

, I'm not sure, which is gooder??

The battery advice from the electric motor seller was for a 72v 80ah battery

Have a search on the web for what charging current is typically available from a motorcycle charging system. You don't need to know the exact figure, just a rough idea. Then see if this will be capable of driving your motor.

I suspect it won't.

Have a search on the web for what charging current is typically available from a motorcycle charging system. You don't need to know the exact figure, just a rough idea. Then see if this will be capable of driving your motor.

I suspect it won't.
OK, that's the first reponce I've had about is,

I can't imaging why not though

May I ask, are you a competent engine know it all?

OK, that's the first reponce I've had about is,

I can't imaging why not though

May I ask, are you a competent engine know it all?

I a certainly don't know it all. I know you need to find the details I mentioned though.

And I'm a biker.

Last edited:

Reply to EV motorcycle guy in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net