Currently reading:
Fairy lights...

Discuss Fairy lights... in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

golfpaul

Ive been tasked with testing the fairy lights around our place, but have a few questions:

Is it right that the lights need to have their information regarding them on a label attached to the lights? Ive heard it is a instant failure if the label has been removed...

Anything to look out for apart fro the obvious...

Thaks in advance.

What are you going to test, ...99% of these sets are ELV with the transformer being directly plugged into the supply socket?? Even those with a short cord to the transformer aren't worth the time and effort past a condition visual check...

I haven't looked at the new CoP for II&TEE but in the last version the old series wired single insulated 230v lights with the twisted cable were outlawed.

That's exactly what these were, the sort where one bulb blows and the whole set goes dark. The individual wires terminated straight into plugtop. Can't be safe.

I noticed loads of unfused 'kettle leads' in use at a local council office the other day, supplying IT equipment. Really nasty quality too. Raised it with the manager there but she just looked at me with a glazed look. Some of them even had PAT 'pass' stickers on them!

I've seen computer leads with sleeved earth pins etc with PAT passes, (I took it as salvage from a mates DOA laptop) didn't realise how bad it was until I took a closer look.
Cut the plug off, literally about 8 fine strands if that, insulation strippable without any issue using fingernails
Broke the plug apart with pliers and binned it.
Really considering making up my own computer leads as many on the market are dire quality.
Bought a heat gun from Sfix....£8 on sale...live pin gets dangerously hot after short usage....no wonder 2200W on a 0.75mm2 flex and a 13 amp fuse.....
Rules have been so watered down it isn't real....

What are your thoughts regarding the info label attached to the cable of fairy lights?

Would it be considered a failure if the label has been removed?

Even here in China fairy light sets are virtually all ELV, which say's a lot for the UK if they are still legally selling 240V sets!! I'm only saying ''virtually'', because if there are 220/240V sets around over here, i haven't personally seen any!!

What are your thoughts regarding the info label attached to the cable of fairy lights?

Would it be considered a failure if the label has been removed?
What kind of information is on this label, and how would it's absence present danger to the end user?

Reply to Fairy lights... in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock